ForumsGamesDistance Games

26 4113
JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

A phrase I've coined, a "distance" game is where the object is to throw or get a person or thing as far as possible. Examples: Flight, Burrito Bison, Polar Bear Sports, Kitten Cannon, etc. Though the concept has been around for ages, it died eons ago for me. Anyone know of a good twist or perhaps an idea that could bring much needed freshness to the genre?

• 26 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

You've coined a phrase for something which already has a term for it. They are called launch games.

Anyways, there isn't all that much to them. The good ones have a decent amount of skill involved along with the upgrades you currently have. There's not much of a twist that can add anything to them as the end goal is just go far...so at most you can add different levels or obstacles.

Into Space 2 is a fairly good one though, since there's missions and things to do also.

JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

Ah, never heard that term. True, not much else to say on the topic. I'll check Into Space 2 out.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I *smashed head into keyboard* hate *smashes head again* these *once more* games *final time*

To me..they are all the same game
Launch, do poorly
Upgrade
Do poorly again
Upgrade
Start to do somewhat better
Upgrade
*repeat a few times*
Random interval where you surprisingly do really well
Upgrade much more with more money from random better run
Do pretty good
Upgrade
Pretty good
Upgrade
*repeat*
Do really well...like time before...except achieve "victory"

Congratulations...you just did the same exact thing over and over and over and over and over again until one of those times made you go far enough to be "victorious"

JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

*Hands Pang some Advil* Here ya go.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

*smashes advil into face* Thanks...couldn't use keyboard anymore after breaking it haha also..please keep my name lowercase..thank you!

And just played Into Space 2...missions was a very very very very very nice touch...other than that it was still the same annoying game

JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

Hooray for it holding my attention for longer than 30 minutes!

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

Congratulations...you just did the same exact thing over and over and over and over and over again until one of those times made you go far enough to be "victorious"

That's pretty much the definition of every single game...
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

No...I mean literally the same thing over and over again. Other games may have the same idea/concept when playing it..but at least have some changes in the gameplay...this, you literally upgrade, launch, then either move left or right a tiny bit while the computer does most of the work
JackMinnow
JackMinnow
29 posts
Blacksmith

Lolwut?

Good games typically have you do lots of different things to accomplish a goal.
EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

Yes, good games make you accomplish a lot of different things to finish a game... But in the end it is always the same thing all over again.

Mario Bros: move your tiny little char from point A to point B. Over and over again, 3 times a level, for 8 levels. This is one of the best games ever made.

Bubble Bobble: you have a small dragon character which spew bubbles around. You need to catch every single monsters in each level and pop the bubbles to win over them. Redo that for 99 levels, then on level 100 you have the boss. Another timeless classic.

[apply same reasoning for every single game]

etc.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Distance games arent my favorite. They don't require any work or anything. Do they tend to get somewhat boring...

Hikakin_Fan
Hikakin_Fan
396 posts
Lord

Distance games are ok i guess.but after you beat the game its dumb.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Yes, good games make you accomplish a lot of different things to finish a game... But in the end it is always the same thing all over again

Please look at my bolded point. In distance game...the computer is doing about 95% of the work. I let whatever aircraft I'm using go...then just let it fly
Jblaze101
Jblaze101
513 posts
Peasant

well it's either you love it or hate type of reasoning evrybody has thier own cups of tea

EagleOfFire2
EagleOfFire2
125 posts
Shepherd

Please look at my bolded point. In distance game...the computer is doing about 95% of the work. I let whatever aircraft I'm using go...then just let it fly

We are obviously not playing the same game then.
Showing 1-15 of 26