ForumsWEPRHappiness

19 6170
Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

What do you think is happiness? Is it a biological survival function? How about synthetic or natural happiness?

• 19 Replies
Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

I don't know about a survival function, being happy doesn't really do much to help you survive, but that's really a good question. I really don't know. What do you think, for starters?

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I think happiness is a natural reaction. I don't think it is a survival function, although it would be hard to live without it. I don't think it is for survival, because if you didn't know how to be happy, then you would never be sad because you would never have known what the other emotion was. Does that make sense?

Overall I just think that it is a natural reaction that we feel for others. It is like a drug, seriously. I have heard that if you lose your supply of endorphins, that it is like going through a drug withdrawal.

Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I guess so. Happiness is sort of like a drug, don't really like to put it that way, but that's probably the best explanation. Say in primitive times, when not experiencing a survival related emotion like fear, like while passing time on the weekends, if there wasn't a peaceful or low key emotion like happiness, it would just feel empty. The mind would then try to fill that void with another emotion like fear or anger, that could potentially trigger a dangerous situation, thus killing the person in particular.

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

I believe everything eventually leads to the survival of a species. There must have been a reason other than chance that many animals have developed it, and I know it must be good for that reason. I think due to conditioning, the mind creates connections between happiness (which is just a sensation created by a certain part of our brain) and the stimulus it had conditioned. It acts as motivation for us to do things.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Esphloded, I have done some reading on the subject and you are touching on some things that are right when it comes to it being a part of survival. Mental states have a lot to do with our well-being.

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

happiness is different for everybody. i'm so happy when i have a new board and have a whole flowing concrete skatepark to myself, or just a few friends. my son and girlfriend are huge parts of my happiness. i'm happy w/ myself, so it's pretty easy to be happy. you'll never be happy until you come to terms w/ yourself. i know that has nothing to do with survival of the species, but i'll throw it out there...

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

Yeah, happiness can become conditioned to other things besides the primal urges, its all a part of the shaping of a personality. It could be traced back to infant stages and genetics.

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

Personally, I think happiness is something that money cannot buy. It sure does help because because it guarantees financial security and it does buy pleasures, but happiness is only something that a person has to earn by themselves. It does help people and helps others around them. It could be traced back to little babies...

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Can we take this debate to why money can't buy happiness? I'm trying to find out how it wouldn't solve my problems and make me happy. All other aspects of my life are great except for my finances.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Money can't buy it specifically. It might buy things that may help make you happy. But then is it the true kind of happiness?

But I do agree, money makes things easier.

iFish
iFish
442 posts
Nomad

im somewhat lost on the subject "can money buy u happiness?" because some people say its family and friends that can make u happy, not money and i agree, but are you happy starving and living on the street with no money to buy you food and shelter?i think its a combo of both to make you truley happy,

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Well, my specific situation is this: I live pay check to pay check for the time being, but I also have some serious debt.

I have great friends and the family I do speak with is great. All aspects of my life is great except finances. So, I believe money could be ME happiness.

iFish
iFish
442 posts
Nomad

yea, thats my point,

Eshploded
Eshploded
469 posts
Nomad

What if I use money to help poor people come out of their poverty? Wouldn't that make me happy? Or if I had a antisocial personality disorder and didn't care about people at all.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

I agree with what you guys have to say, that to a certain degree it can buy happiness. But what I am saying, is that it also depends on the person. You can't give someone who looks at the world pessimistically money, and assume it will make them happy. Some people just refuse to be happy.

But for others, it certainly does help!

Showing 1-15 of 19