ForumsWEPRCAPS

8 2768
agentkion
agentkion
53 posts
Nomad

do you think it is okay to poast all caps some people i know dont so i wont to know what you think because i think its okay people can almost say what they wont they should beable to post what they wont and how they wont

• 8 Replies
drakokirby
drakokirby
1,651 posts
Shepherd

Well of course we don't like Caps words on every sentence. However, why did you caps your title for? Most of the times it's newbies doing it.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

First thing, learn how to spell and use proper grammar. Use periods and commas. Capitalize the first word of every sentence. I'm not saying to be absolutely perfect, but it's hard to take someone seriously when they type like a seven year old.

Erako
Erako
121 posts
Nomad

Why does it even matter? When we type on the internet or anything unimportant people should be allowed to write however they wish. I get so bored of always typing "good" for school that I like to shout out with my messages when my typing is not related to school. GO CAPS!

IRuleya
IRuleya
210 posts
Nomad

i agree with bigbowla...it is ok every once in a while. Like when you say, "WOOHOO! NO MORE SCHOOL!". BUT WHEN YOU POST IN ALL CAPS LIKE THIS IT GETS REALLY ANNOYING! So ok sometimes, but not all the time.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Yeah, ALL CAPS IS REALLY ANNOYING!

Yes, yes it is. It is good that it isn't allowed, but this is almost as annoying:

i like to eat chicken with rich green chocolate syrup on it what do you think i think it is ok but i want to know what you think...?

This is really annoying...!

KingRYan
Ninjacube
Ninjacube
585 posts
Nomad

I guess its alright, but not for more than a few words at a time(I prefer to use bold). Then again, some people talk in all caps so...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Why does it even matter? When we type on the internet or anything unimportant people should be allowed to write however they wish. I get so bored of always typing "good" for school that I like to shout out with my messages when my typing is not related to school. GO CAPS!

It really comes down to a balance of how you want people to react to you.

That the internet is 'something unimportant' is somewhat misleading, since a huge proportion of all communication in the world takes place on the internet today. On a forum, you may not wish to conform to standard grammatical practice, which I'm not saying is good or bad (it's within your rights), but you will observe the following trends:

1) People will not take you seriously.
2) People will get annoyed at you.
3) People will not be able to understand what you're typing easily.

As I've said about a dozen times now, grammar is only important insofar as you value the ability to communicate. This is why I personally use as perfect a grammar I can at any given time, unless I'm in a context where I'm sure everybody will understand my abbreviations/slang.

Talking in CAPS generally does the following:

1) All of the above for poor grammar, plus:
2) People find it harder to read because all the characters are the same height.
3) People will get a headache reading text.
4) People will react hostilely to your 'shouting'.

(Ranting on for a bit...) my recommendation is, in a forum, never to post more than three words in all caps in a single post, if you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO. And, like Ninjacube points out, there's a good way to type to emphasise something and not look like you're shouting...from this, caps can be acceptable if there's no such thing as bold where you're at, although using the MS-Word markup for bold, surrounding a phrase with *asterisks* is also good. Also, italics emphasise, but also quote and is generally not as strong as bold.

Also, it is unadvisable to underline text on a forum or electronically unless it's automatically done in the form of a hyperlink, because this also makes text difficult to read. I'm not sure you can underline stuff manually on this forum.

Personally, if I'm feeling silly and my tone is sufficiently lighthearted enough for people to conclude that I'm not shouting to scare them but just to be an idiot, then yes, I'll use caps then: "OMG, YOU CAN'T BE SRS!?!?" ...but please, use your discretion wisely.
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

To add to Strop's post which was eloquently put together. It is against the rules.

The community forums are a place where people can interact and have discussions about several different topics. However, we ask that you follow these guidelines to ensure that the forums have some productive conversation. Failure to comply with these rules may result in a ban from the forums or the entire site, as well as removal of posts and points!

- No flaming, badgering, spamming, or trolling.

- No discussion of piracy or illegal material, or linking to these illegal activities.

- Do not post material that is hateful or mean towards race, religion, sex, or any other offensive nature.

- Do not post for the sake of forum post count... your posts will be removed if we see you posting multiple 5-7 word posts just for points.

- Do not complain about getting banned, and do not make another account to circumvent a ban.

- Do not post links to lewd or offensive content. Keep everything Safe for Work.

- Do not post any personal information about you or anyone else. We don't want to know your street address.

- Do not post advertising or referral links.

- No excessive swearing or language.

- Turn off your caps lock, do not use excessive ALL CAPS in your posts.

If you have any questions or would like to contact a moderator, please email john [at] armorgames.com.

Showing 1-8 of 8