ForumsGamesCool Games

16 6395
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

Is it me or is nearly every cool game rated M? Because Skyrim, Call of Duty, Halo, etc. are all M. All of those look awesome.

• 16 Replies
Jakeocrazy
Jakeocrazy
64 posts
Nomad

skyrim best game of 2011 and mybe of all time

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Violence, language, nudity all make games ''cool'' for most. Ergo, M rating.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

skyrim best game of 2011 and mybe of all time

1) Completely off topic

2) Pong

As for OP...it depends on your opinion. But I will have to agree..most "cool" games do tend to be rated M..but I believe this is due to the developers being able to do much more with the game with that rating
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Violence, language, nudity all make games ''cool'' for most. Ergo, M rating.

Call of Duty 3 and down were all rated T, but after that they started to get M ratings. Why? What changed? Violence and language remained the same, except for WaW, where you could shoot limbs off of enemies.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Call of Duty 3 and down were all rated T, but after that they started to get M ratings. Why? What changed? Violence and language remained the same, except for WaW, where you could shoot limbs off of enemies.

Maybe not because of the violence itself, but also because of darker themes in the plot or the more modern settings. I'm mostly thinking of the ending to Modern Warfare 1 especially.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

or maybe just to draw in audience :3

i do know too many people who would like the same game better just because its for "big boys".

lol probably not but it could be a smart thing to do.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

What do you mean every cool game is rated M.

Starcraft (1, and 2) is rated Teen, (and I have played it since around age 8)

LoZ games, TP had highest rating of teen

Metroid, not M

Super Smash Bros: Brawl, rated Teen.

~~~Darth Caedus

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Just to clarify, M is 16+ and T is recommended for 13+?

I don't live in the U.S so I wouldn't know.

Also, it really depends on your definition of "Cool". FIFA is a "Cool" game to people that play sport but people that don't say it is horrible.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Why? What changed? Violence and language remained the same, except for WaW, where you could shoot limbs off of enemies.

Online community

Just to clarify, M is 16+ and T is recommended for 13+?

M is 17+
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

Online community

Not rated by the ESRB. Am I the only one who pays attention to this?
I dont know, maybe because the graphics got more realistic.....?
404011xz
404011xz
212 posts
Farmer

I have 1,2, and WaW on my PS2 and I have to say I quite honestly love them, it's the recent CoD games I've been finding myself to hate. and yes they probably changed their rating to M to attract more people.

A cool game.... I would have to go with the Sly cooper series, I found it quite entertaining and all the games actually ADDED features ,unlike others, that made it really fun to play over and over again. See I like that, back when games didn't require multiplayer to attract your attention but because of that great level of addiction surrounding it, that is why I love games like final fantasy and super smash bros. sorry. began to ramble

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Not rated by the ESRB. Am I the only one who pays attention to this?

So the online community doesn't have an affect on the ratings?

Ah wait...I'll answer my own question with an example of why it doesn't..sports games -_-â¢
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Maybe not because of the violence itself, but also because of darker themes in the plot or the more modern settings. I'm mostly thinking of the ending to Modern Warfare 1 especially.

Perhaps, but they've always been war games with lots of death, and gruesome death scenes. Not as "realistic" looking as the CoD4 ending, but still there.

Looking over my games, most of them are rated M, except Batman Arkham City/Asylum and a Metal Gear Solid one. The Metal Gear Solid came with a trilogy (HD collection), but the other two are rated M. I've played through them (not completed), but it didn't look like much changed gameplay wise.

Where do they draw the line between T and M in these games? I'm not talking about GTA or other obvious games similar that obviously deserve an M rating, but the ones that had T rated prequels.
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Where do they draw the line between T and M in these games? I'm not talking about GTA or other obvious games similar that obviously deserve an M rating, but the ones that had T rated prequels.

Looking at the ESRB website, it seems the rating is dependant (atleast in part) on the most extreme content. So even having a single super violent and gory scene could potentially be enough for a M rating. Although it obviously depends on the rating system in question. For instance, the PEGI rating for the series changed from 16 to 18 after World at War was released.

It might also be worth pointing out that all COD games have been rated 18+ for me.
Mr_Sand
Mr_Sand
672 posts
Peasant

The problem is they never go back and re rate these games. Nowadays Duke NUkem 3D and Quake and Half-life would never get an M.

I still to this day cant understand what gave Halo the M rating. The only blood is from aliens, I guess the killing on Multiplayer must stick it out. But there is a fine line among T and M Growing up as a teenager my parents originally wouldnt let me play Halo and Borderlands and Left 4 Dead and Call Of Duty. But the way see is if we are going to ban teens from playing these M rated games then you might as well ban teenagers from using the internet. I am sure most teens that play games are also surfing the web and everyone knows how bad it can be out there.

I think that putting ratings on games and Movies is a generalization

Meaning generally you shouldnt play this if you are not this age.
But i think a kid can play pretty much all video games and shouldnt be denied due to graphic content.
If your kid goes out and plays a game with guns and shoots someone, then it is the parents fault.
Adults should be wise and teach their kids the importance of gun control and Safety and realize that killing people for no good reason is wrong.

Its safe to say that by the age of fifteen you will typically know right and wrong and realize that you shouldnt kill someone in real life

Showing 1-15 of 16