Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Upsides

Posted Dec 26, '12 at 3:09am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,425 posts

Knight

It could since so many people use it, but I'm sure it'll eventually fall and another social networking site will sprout.

Posted Dec 26, '12 at 3:44pm

xeano321

xeano321

3,128 posts

Knight

Yes it will. It doesn't just connect you even more to people you know, but to people you would almost never have known

What difference does it make if I meet this guy in Timbuktu on Facebook? I highly doubt if that will change the world, much less have an effect on society.

Posted Dec 26, '12 at 5:27pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

What exactly are you trying to say? Are you trying to deny the impact that Facebook has had upon this world because you think it's a cesspool for useless blather? You may not find it particularly useful, but it would not be an exaggeration to say that it has been an innovation that has changed the world.

Posted Dec 26, '12 at 9:35pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,530 posts

Knight

What difference does it make if I meet this guy in Timbuktu on Facebook? I highly doubt if that will change the world, much less have an effect on society.

Greater connectivity, bringing people together, kicking off new initiatives from these new linkages. Facebook was used extensively during Arab Spring to organize people just to name one major usage.

Posted Dec 26, '12 at 11:37pm

xeano321

xeano321

3,128 posts

Knight

(Oh boy... Looks like I struck a nerve with a few people. -_-)

What exactly are you trying to say? Are you trying to deny the impact that Facebook has had upon this world because you think it's a cesspool for useless blather? You may not find it particularly useful, but it would not be an exaggeration to say that it has been an innovation that has changed the world.

No doubt Facebook has changed the appearance of the world. Now I cant even buy a pack of underwear without the package saying: Like us on Facebook!

My point is this: Facebook is not that beneficial to society in my opinion. It leads to useless blather, to use your own words.

Greater connectivity, bringing people together, kicking off new initiatives from these new linkages. Facebook was used extensively during Arab Spring to organize people just to name one major usage.

The internet in its entirety was used to organize the Arab Spring, don't give Facebook all the credit. Don't get me wrong, Facebook does generate positive constructive results, but the "blather" and sheer pointlessness it also generates far outweigh the positive side of it.

To save you fine gentlemen the time and effort in changing my opinion, don't even try. I know every argument you're going to generate, and they wont have an effect.

Posted Dec 27, '12 at 12:02am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,530 posts

Knight

The internet in its entirety was used to organize the Arab Spring, don't give Facebook all the credit. Don't get me wrong, Facebook does generate positive constructive results, but the "blather" and sheer pointlessness it also generates far outweigh the positive side of it.

People will talk like that without Facebook. People still take photos, even without Facebook. We write senseless notes and show them to each other even without Facebook. Facebook is not pointless, people themselves generate the ''pointlessness''. It's not like we spend the whole day poking each other, or liking random pages.

Facebook, Twitter and other social media sites get the main credits; they were used to actually stage and gather protesters, time, date, location, etc.

Reply to Upsides

You must be logged in to post a reply!