ForumsWEPR4 Firefighters shot, two killed in New York

5 4425
thebloxxer
thebloxxer
28 posts
Nomad

This recently happened in news. According to the story, an ex-convict purposely set (his?) home on fire, then shot 4 firefighters(two later died) as they arrived at the scene. It is said that he purposely set it as a trap for them, for a unknown reason. I really horrify's me, especially since my dad is a volunteer firefighter.

What are your guy's opinions on this?

• 5 Replies
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

My opinion on it opinion on this is than giving a these tragedies massive coverage is doing no one any good. The news channels feed on the misery off the families and drink up their tears with ever-thirsty glass and wire mouths, just to regurgitate them in our faces at every turn.
Every time there is a tragedy that gets massive coverage and screen time, even more come their wake. There have been no less that two shootings in the past, what, week since Connecticut. All of them getting stupid amounts of coverage. Someone needs to blame the money loving execs at new companies for exploiting people in a time of need and also sowing the seeds for more of these events in the month to come.

I'm sick of this world and what passes for 'entertainment' and 'good news.'

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Oh, Piers Morgan forgot to mention it was an ex-convict. He JUST talked to Ted Nugent and was told that the problem with gun violence in America has to do with releasing violent criminals from prison.

(I tweeted Morgan saying he is WRONG on everything, but I supported his right to speak - that's when I saw him tweet the news)

FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

Oh, Piers Morgan forgot to mention it was an ex-convict. He JUST talked to Ted Nugent and was told that the problem with gun violence in America has to do with releasing violent criminals from prison.

America isn't the only country with overcrowded prisons, or indeed insane people, as the sinister note the killer left indicates. It does have a horrificly high rate of gun crime though. You can't stop people from being insane. But you can stop insane people from having access to guns.

As to whether or not this is getting disporportionately high media coverage, quite possibly, but the fact that the rifle he used was the same make and calibre as the one in Newton is obviously something the media will latch onto.

What I'm curious to see is what the head of the NRA will say in lieu of these shootings, given his suggestion to have armed guards in all schools. Arm all firemen too?
GagaKaraya
GagaKaraya
4 posts
Peasant

how the hell did a ex-convict get a gun?! seriously america can you try a bit harder to separate guns and maniacs, since you already ****ed up with separating general public and guns

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

how the hell did a ex-convict get a gun?! seriously america can you try a bit harder to separate guns and maniacs

It wasn't his. He was banned from getting his own. He got it from a legally owning neighbor.
Showing 1-5 of 5