ForumsThe TavernCourage

20 6275
SaifurRahman
SaifurRahman
70 posts
Blacksmith

True courage is not to know when to take a life, but to know when to spare one.

What do you think?

• 20 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i think that is totally wrong. a person who simply kills isnt a coward. he simply is merciless if he doesnt spare a life.

on the other hand, i know myself and id have trouble killing anyone for almost anything. if a gentle person has no choice but to kill a person i think it would be very couragous of him to do it even though he doesnt want to.

SaifurRahman
SaifurRahman
70 posts
Blacksmith

It takes a lot of heart to kill someone, but with enough motivation, it can be done.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Eh well, military indoctrination and discipline does the job well too, unfortunately.

Hutkihatka
Hutkihatka
10 posts
Nomad

Well in a sense it is more courageous to spare a life.

I mean in that case you don't have to spend rest of your life looking behind your shoulder someone who could take a revenge on you...

But then again you would do wisely to avoid such a situation in the first place

SaifurRahman
SaifurRahman
70 posts
Blacksmith

That's what I said.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Well in a sense it is more courageous to spare a life.

Not necessarily. Obviously, you are preparing to kill someone who will kill you. If you pause for that split second thinking whether you should spare him or not... BANG!! You're dead.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I think courage is just a word for aggrandizement and that attempting to define "true courage" is useless. The situation you've presented should be viewed from a different perspective if one were to ever have to make that decision.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Courage is standing up for what you believe in no matter what people say.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Courage is standing up for what you believe in no matter what people say.

RIP Adolf Hitler, Died fighting to the end for his much maligned vision.

Doesn't sound right.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Courage is not just defined by the act of beating up or killing someone physically stronger than you.
You have courage when you can admit that you made a mistake. You have courage when you face a bad situation and you work hard to get out of it.
That's the way I see it anyway.

Hintkin
Hintkin
21 posts
Nomad

Hmm I think courage is an honorable character when one person does not fear of failures (death, shame, etc..) in his/her life for the sake of his/her loved ones. It's corny but that's what I really think of that word not just to spare one's life. Cause you could be a merciful person for saying that.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

lets see what wikipedia says:

Courage is the ability to confront fear, pain, danger, uncertainty, or intimidation. "Physical courage" is courage in the face of physical pain, hardship, death, or threat of death, while "moral courage" is the ability to act rightly in the face of popular opposition, shame, scandal, or discouragement.

there are many ways to show your courage. by confronting your fears like Courage the Cowardly Dog or by using other Examples of Courage.
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Even though that saying was said by the mighty Gandalf the Grey in The Hobbit, I have to say I don't like it!

Courage is basically facing your worst fear and confronting it, instead of running away. Of course there is a time and place to run like hell too, but eh. I'm talking in noodles.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

courage is the ability to stand up to your fears for things other then yourself.
this really isnt a forum its just kinda something were trying to define here...

toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

.Eh well, military indoctrination and discipline does the job well too, unfortunately.

remember solder! when the dude raises the gun to shoot you then fire on him first!
grrrrrrr stupid military indoctrination
Showing 1-15 of 20