ForumsWEPRDo you still believe in Santa?

99 34248
Kannaaashi
Kannaaashi
24 posts
Nomad

As I was doing a christmas quest on Maestia I saw the npc of santa. I remembered one christmas that I was so shocked when I received a gift from santa. No one told me to whom it came from but my mom and dad as well as my aunts and uncles said that it was from santa! Weird as it may sound, I still believe in santa until now. You? Do you still believe in Santa?

• 99 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

why not??

i know why not, but i'm not gonna ruin your happy thoughts. =P
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

No I don't anymore. We were supposed to have snow last night and today and there's not even a snowflake anywhere! >:O

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

"Santa", as in the fat jovial guy from Coca Cola ads, is just what he is - a fat jovial guy from Coca Cola ads. The origins go way deeper than that overcommercialized bull****.
On the 6th of december, mostly in Europe I guess (?), Saint Nicholas Day is celebrated, and on that occasion, here in Switzerland many "Samichlaus" and "Schmutzli" wander the lands with donkeys giving away peanuts, mandarin oranges and chocolates to kids. Surfing the net I found a nice summary of this tradition on a most unexpected blog (don't worry, it's nothing bad). Just click the image:
http://cyclinginparis.blogspot.ch/2011/12/schmutzli-swiss-bad-santa.html

So to end this, no I don't believe in Santa nor all those disguised people, but there is a certain origin to it and it is more satisfying than thinking it all comes from soda ads :P

No I don't anymore. We were supposed to have snow last night and today and there's not even a snowflake anywhere! >:O

We haven't had a white christmas for years, and this time it was even almost as hot as autumn or early springtime -.-
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

I always loved my 5th grade science teacher's argument about how Santa wasn't real when this one kid got real annoying insisting he was.

If Santa was real, the speed at which he would have to travel to reach every person celebrating Christmas in one night would result in all the reindeer, Santa, the sled and the presents bursting into flames due to the extreme air friction.

Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

As far as I can remember, I never even got a present from Santa. I guess my parents wanted to spare me the horror of finding out hes not real. In fact, I don't think I had even heard of Santa until I started school. Oh well....

lol7776
lol7776
35 posts
Nomad

not really because i heard my mom say she stayed up till like 4pm putting out all? the presents

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Santa is real, he lived in the 16th century (give or take a couple hundred years), and was a bishop in the Church, he was famous for dropping money into a poor man's chimney so he could care for his daughters.

(so long since I read the story, I am sure I have several errors)

~~~Darth Caedus

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Not quite. St. Nicholas was born in the third century and became bishop of Myra (then-Greek, now-Turkey). According to legends of course... The chimney thing came later, the first version tells how he threw gold in from the window so that the poor man could give reasonable dowry for their daughters.
St. Nicholas Center

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Most of the modern-day versions of Santa are based off of good old Capitalistic commercials geared at selling products.

I'd even go as far as saying Macy's had a larger impact on Santa's image than St. Nicholas.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

In fact, I don't think I had even heard of Santa until I started school.

Same here. For my parents, it was a trust thing. It showed that teachers and other parents are ready and willing to lie.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

i used to celebrate "sinterklaas" on 5/6 dec. when i was a little kid.
santa came about 10 year latter for me. christmass was just being together to celebrate jesus's birth. now it is just being together and have some kind of special meal.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Another example of how bad I am with dates.

Always remember.

Christmas, it is the religious holiday most widely celebrated by Atheists.

~~~Darth Caedus

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

not sure if atheists really celebrate christmas. it's more like participating.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

We don't celebrate Christmas. We put up a tree, gather the family, eat, exchange gifts. We don't go to Mass, some don't even know its Christian roots, and others just want a free public holiday. Yes, it's mere participation in modern material satisfaction.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Saint Nicolas is just one of many characters both real and myth who influenced the current character Santa Claus. Another even older influence is the Norse god Odin, who was known for giving present to believers. He used two ravens to listen in through chimney stacks so he could know who was worthy. The ravens may have later played an influence in the creation of the Christmas Krampus aka Black peter, Santa's demon slave. Which predates the elves which first made an appearance in story in 1850. The Krampus would put naughty children in a sack and carry them off to be his Christmas dinner.

christmass was just being together to celebrate jesus's birth.

Jesus's birth really has nothing to do with the holiday, nor does Christianity for that matter beyond the name and addition of a nativity scene. Originally it was a celebration of the winter solstice. Chritianity co-opted the holiday in order to get the Pagans who celebrated it to convert. The Bible even makes mention of the traditions being pagan and God saying don't do it.

Christmas trees in the Bible.
Jeremiah 10:2- (NIV)
This is what the LORD says: "Do not learn the ways of the nations or be terrified by signs in the sky, though the nations are terrified by them.
For the customs of the peoples are worthless; they cut a tree out of the forest, and a craftsman shapes it with his chisel.
They adorn it with silver and gold; they fasten it with hammer and nails so it will not totter.
Like a scarecrow in a melon patch, their idols cannot speak; they must be carried because they cannot walk. Do not fear them; they can do no harm nor can they do any good."

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3Yi34O67M6o/R2cnS5_-4vI/AAAAAAAAAEU/KzNsHz3DiJQ/s400/axialtiltcolor-big.png

Us atheists could just start calling what we celebrate Giftmas to celebrate the giving and receiving of gifts and the materialistic nature that the holiday has become.
Showing 1-15 of 99