ForumsWEPRDo you still believe in Santa?

99 34251
Kannaaashi
Kannaaashi
24 posts
Nomad

As I was doing a christmas quest on Maestia I saw the npc of santa. I remembered one christmas that I was so shocked when I received a gift from santa. No one told me to whom it came from but my mom and dad as well as my aunts and uncles said that it was from santa! Weird as it may sound, I still believe in santa until now. You? Do you still believe in Santa?

• 99 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

The ravens may have later played an influence in the creation of the Christmas Krampus aka Black peter,

black peter was 1st mentioned in 1845 in a book of Jan Schenkman called, Saint Nicholas and his Servant. (it was 1 of 3 things 1st mentioned in this book that got stuck in the tradition)
there is no link to odin whit black peter.
and actually do i doubt the link between odin and saint nicholas at all.

in hungary saint nicholas is celebrated somewhere around may. and there the tradidion go's that saint nicholas is a evil man. and the parents are scaring their children so they are not going to do naughty things.
it's such a contrary to the popular saint nicholas

Jesus's birth really has nothing to do with the holiday

still it gets celebrated. no holding that back.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

black peter was 1st mentioned in 1845 in a book of Jan Schenkman called, Saint Nicholas and his Servant. (it was 1 of 3 things 1st mentioned in this book that got stuck in the tradition)
there is no link to odin whit black peter.

Yes, though the character of Black peter is based on the Christmas demon. And 1845 would sill be predating the elves.

and actually do i doubt the link between odin and saint nicholas at all.

"Do I doubt it" or is it "I doubt it"?
I don't see why it would be hard to believe considering Christmas has incorporated holidays such as Yule. Sinterklaas did originate in about the same area of the world who was the model for the American Santa Claus.

I'm not saying Saint Nicolas didn't have a role in molding the character we know, just that he wasn't the earliest influence.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

It changes anyway from country to country. In mine the Samichlaus apparently clearly comes from St. Nicholaus, but I imagine the same figure in northern countries has more roots from pagan influence. Our Schmutzli (the dark companion, see here) however definitely comes from native folklore, and was integrated by Christianity.

Mars_1
Mars_1
4 posts
Nomad

Why not believe in Santa?

That is the real question!

Drink
Drink
1,622 posts
Blacksmith

sure i did when i was a little kid .. but i dont even remember how i found out he wasnt real but i seen a middle schooler who still believes in santa .. smh

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Yes, though the character of Black peter is based on the Christmas demon.

never seen that link. i know how saint nicholas has turned into santa claus.
when was the christmas demon 1st mentioned and how was christmas celebrated back then?

"Do I doubt it" or is it "I doubt it"?

i'm not following you here.

there is logically allot wrong whit santa. i tend to use logic, so believing in santa is not a option.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

there is logically allot wrong whit santa. i tend to use logic, so believing in santa is not a option.

Obvious joke was obvious. Surely you realized he was kidding. :P
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

Surely you realized he was kidding.

you never know whit new people... some very illogical things have passed since i browse this forum. and not all are actually mend as a joke.
hell i thought this whole topic was a joke. especially after the OP said he was 19. but we are on page 3 now and it somehow turned into a debate. xD

that is a joke on it's own. xD
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

never seen that link. i know how saint nicholas has turned into santa claus.
when was the christmas demon 1st mentioned and how was christmas celebrated back then?

not sure when the Christmas demon came about. I do know he steps from pre-Christian era Germanic traditions and may even step back to the ravens used by Odin. According to wiki he was included in the Christian winter celebrations sometime in the 17th century.

As for the link, Black Peter, a slave to Santa who's job it is to punish naughty children.
The Krampus aka Christmas demon, a slave to Santa who's job it is to punish naughty children.
partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

I do know he steps from pre-Christian era

it go's to far back. we can only assume where it might come from but we will never know. there is no actual link like we can see from saint nicholas to santa claus

Black Peter, a slave to saint nicholas

black peter a slave?
because he is black and nicholas is white?

black peter is black because he go's through the chimney. under the black they are white like everyone els. they are children that nicholas toke away to spain because they are naughty.

their job is to show nicholas that they have changed. and when they are they come back whit nicholas to make the children happy and to help him whit all the tasks he has. a old man alone can't do it. after they have done so they are allowed to go back to their family. or voluntary stay whit saint nicholas.
omarzoco
omarzoco
18 posts
Nomad

I don't believe in santa but I have some younger siblings a boy and a girl the boy is 10 girl is 6 so my brother and his friends are sitting there talking about how fake santa is with my sister right there so my mom scolded the boys and then I had to play with them.

Don't really know why I wrote that but anyway there's a story so don't tell someone that believ's in santa that he's not real because you'll either get into a huge argument or they'll cry and be a baby.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Bad news guys, Santa's dead. I saw him crash in my back yard. He was too heavy after eating all those cookies and the reindeers couldn't carry the weight. He was killed on impact and my redneck neighbor shot the surviving reindeers.
He now has Rudolph's head above his mantle. :O
xD

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Oh Stig, you're so gullible. I am well informed and know that this goes into great detail as to what happened to Santa.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

black peter a slave?
because he is black and nicholas is white?

The racial implications are there and is the reason why Black Peter was dropped in some later incarnations. Though I'm not sure that was the original reasoning behind making the character a slave.

black peter is black because he go's through the chimney. under the black they are white like everyone els. they are children that nicholas toke away to spain because they are naughty.

Yes some incarnations have Black Peter only black because of being covered in soot. There are however other incarnations where he appearance is that of a moor. Modern takes on the charater is often portrayed as a blackface, something considered racist and taboo in the US and Britain.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a7/Zwartepiet.png/399px-Zwartepiet.png
thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

Yes, I do believe satan exists

Showing 16-30 of 99