ForumsWEPRDo you still believe in Santa?

99 34170
Kannaaashi
Kannaaashi
24 posts
Nomad

As I was doing a christmas quest on Maestia I saw the npc of santa. I remembered one christmas that I was so shocked when I received a gift from santa. No one told me to whom it came from but my mom and dad as well as my aunts and uncles said that it was from santa! Weird as it may sound, I still believe in santa until now. You? Do you still believe in Santa?

• 99 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Here.

That's the only mention of him. Maybe a guy called Jesus existed but it doesn't prove he was the son of God.
NocturnalFane
NocturnalFane
5 posts
Peasant

That's the only mention of him. Maybe a guy called Jesus existed but it doesn't prove he was the son of God.

As said by EP, Tacticus mentioned Jesus. So did Suetonius and Pliny The Younger.

Now of course at that time Roman historians weren't interested to write about a small resistance movement named 'christianity' because there were far more important things to record such as the emperors, senate, 'world order' (read: Roman Empire Order) etc. It was only later in the dark ages when christianity took off and bloomed like a vile plant infesting whole Europe.

don't you think the Roman would have bragged about the fact that they kill the son of some Jew God

And doing so they would accept that there was a Jew God and thereby neglect their own gods? I don't think so...
It was far more better to just kill the poor *******, make as little fuss as possible and hope people would stop the movement after their leader was killed and forget that there even was a guy named Jesus.

Now did Jesus have magical powers? That's a question of belief. We can't answer it. My personal opinion is that he had magic powers as much as Copperfield has.
Bobthebest
Bobthebest
28 posts
Shepherd

This is a forum about Santa. Not Jesus or religion.
To debate that go here:
http://armorgames.com/community/thread/7315679/theism-and-atheism

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I believe that Santa lives in the hearts of good mummys and daddys everywhere and they keep the magic alive for their children.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

This is a forum about Santa. Not Jesus or religion.

Actually the two nowadays go hand-in-hand.

Yet on that note, let's try to keep the discussion about religion down to just the connection religion(s) in question and Santa.
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I think it is possible to believe in Santa and not believe in Jesus.
However this is a forum about believing in Santa. I like the idea that children are rewarded for being nice and get nothing for being nasty, so I still believe in Santa and so I believe in being nice. I am aware that we do some nasty things to each other, but, when it comes to being responsible for being nice, the buck stops here.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

I like the idea that children are rewarded for being nice and get nothing for being nasty

nasty or not. whit christmas they all get presents. if the parents can pay for them. if they dont, those children we be laughed at the 1st next schooldays.

the idea is nice but it doesn't work that way in reality. all parents love their children to much to say. "no christmas present for you."
JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
171 posts
Nomad

I stopped believing in santa when I was 7. I heard my mom and dad wrapping presents and went to get a drink of water and there they were. It's just kind of weird to think when you were little and you sat on "santa's" lap to tell him what you want, but really your sitting on some stranger's lap telling him what you want.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Why is Santa even so intimately linked with the Christmas celebration proper, and with Jesus? Is that part of the Cola ad creation? Because the traditional origins come from the 6th of december, St. Nicholaus day.

Here.

From here: "The passage is therefore highly suspect and adds virtually no evidence even for early Christianity. "
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

From here: "The passage is therefore highly suspect and adds virtually no evidence even for early Christianity. "

Good finding! Anyway, the Romans had a fascination for Gods of all sort. They started adopting foreign religions because it must have been cool at the time I guess. They were big on the cult of Isis at some point. Also what people seem to forget is that monks were copying ancient and new manuscripts by hand before printing was invented so there is a high probability that a few made spelling mistakes. Who knows, maybe one of them understood a text and thought it didn't make sense and started adding his own view, making a text even harder for us to understand now.
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I think that Santa has a life outside evangelical Christianity and has been adopted by people who are not in anyway Christian and would run a million miles away from being 'saved'.
I suppose that Cartman in South Park does get presents but Mrs Cartman is a soft touch and, although I have difficulty remembering when, I think Eric is capable of being a little angel.
I hope that nice parents have nice children so that the question of putting them on the nasty list does not arise.
I imagine that some people who do not get presents [Jews, Hindus, Bhuddists et al excepted] just haven't got the message yet. There are people who don't get a present at Christmas.
This bugs me. Some people think that Christmasis about RECEIVING. I think that the real meaning of Christmas is about GIVING.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Some people think that Christmasis about RECEIVING. I think that the real meaning of Christmas is about GIVING.

not for children. they receive presents. dont give them.
and what about those people that can't afford presents?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

I think that Santa has a life outside evangelical Christianity and has been adopted by people who are not in anyway Christian and would run a million miles away from being 'saved'.

The vast majority of 'Christmas' traditions (Santa, gift-giving, tree in the house, decorating the tree, mistletoe, Yule logs, etc) come from non-Christian rituals, mostly from Germanic folklore.
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I think that some children give presents.

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

About affording presents, I think that the cost of the present is less important than the act of giving, A present that costs nothing will do if the attitude of the giver is one of care for the recipient.

Showing 61-75 of 99