ForumsWEPRGreatest President of the United States.

47 19765
09philj
09philj
2,825 posts
Jester

Who is the greatest president ever?
I think it is probably F.D.R, the man who led America out of the depression, and through most of the war. He was the man who made America the greatest nation on Earth.

• 47 Replies
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

Ronald Reagan. He was a good man

Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

Ronald Reagan. He was a good man

Some things you might be interested to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_Reagan

1) He was not Catholic. He was a Presbyterian.
2) He divorced once.
3) "In 1969, Reagan, as Governor, signed the Family Law Act which was the first no fault divorce legislation in the United States."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_Ronald_Reagan#Other_matters

4) "In the late 1970s he wrote a response in his LA Herald-Examiner column to the organization backing the California Briggs Initiative, stating that he opposed the proposed ban on gay public school teachers.[18] Reagan's daughter, Patti Davis, wrote an article in the New York Times where she recalled her father talking about Rock Hudson's homosexuality in an accepting and tolerant manner."

Any of that change your views?
KnightDeclan
KnightDeclan
478 posts
Nomad

No, all the presidents suck. He was the least bad

SectoidMedic
SectoidMedic
165 posts
Peasant

FDR,Abe Lincoln, George Washingron, any of those 3

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

why isn't bill clinton mentioned yet? 1 of the few that did a good job in office.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

t's obvious, isn't it? John Fitzgerald Kennedy, or John F. Kennedy. He guided our country through the space age, alas he sadly wasn't able to see the moon landing. Honestly, he guided our country through a difficult time, the Cold War. He kept America calm, and kept America and Russia from going to an all-out war. Democrat or Republican, it does not matter with him, for he was the single greatest president this country has so far seen.

-Spirit

No. He led you guys into the Bay of Pigs, increased involvement in Vietnam, and had his term cut short; hence judgement is incomplete. Furthermore, many other Presidents have done their part in preventing an all out nuclear war, and Reagan and the SALT treaties immediately spring to mind.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

why isn't bill clinton mentioned yet? 1 of the few that did a good job in office.

Well... Someone did a good job in his office, if you catch my drift

I say Washington. He was smart enough to see the mistake that political parties were going to become before it happened.
Outcast_Gamer117
Outcast_Gamer117
22 posts
Nomad

Abraham Lincoln.

Abolishing slavery, help to strengthen the national government and economy.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

He led you guys into the Bay of Pigs

At least he took responsibility for it, which is more than I can say about most modern presidents.

and had his term cut short

So did Lincoln. It's not like they were impeached or something.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

At least he took responsibility for it, which is more than I can say about most modern presidents.

Accepting responsibility does little to avert the disaster and embarassment it was. It's not like if Bush admits his mistake, he would score political brownie points and redeem himself.

So did Lincoln. It's not like they were impeached or something.

You missed the point. Having a shorter term means a few less years to mess up, and in Kennedy's case, an assassination that brings forth waves of sympathy.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

You know why he did that? If not keep reading. The SOVIETS were bring ICBMs into Cuba. The only way to make the Russians stop doing something is to stick it to them. Show that you are not going to back down to their actions. JFK was thereby preventing a means to a nuclear war. If you don't realize that Russia wouldn't have just Nuked America, they would have nuked all of NATO, which the U.S. was pretty much the gorgon's head in the whole thing. Also if Bay of Pigs hadn't happened we could literaly be living in the world of Fallout.

And you know why the Russians brought ICBMs into Cuba? Partially because Kennedy stuck ICBMs in Turkey, right at their borders in 1962, so close they were that Khruschev could see them when he visited Bulgaria. So no, were they victims? No.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Accepting responsibility does little to avert the disaster and embarassment it was.

It's hella better than "I didn't know about it, no involvement, not my fault, nor my problem, nope nope nope, finger pointing time".

Having a shorter term means a few less years to mess up

And a few less years to do great things like the space program.

Also if Bay of Pigs hadn't happened we could literaly be living in the world of Fallout.

BoP did little. The blockade was what did it.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It's hella better than "I didn't know about it, no involvement, not my fault, nor my problem, nope nope nope, finger pointing time".

And so? Yes, it makes him better than Bush, but it doesn't make up for the fact that he ordered an illegal invasion.

And a few less years to do great things like the space program.

If you don't screw up.

BoP did little. The blockade was what did it.

BoP did nothing but strengthen Cuban resolve.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

but it doesn't make up for the fact that he ordered an illegal invasion.

When hasn't that come with the job? It seems like a rite of passage.
Johnson wasn't exactly open about Vietnam. A more transparent leadership during that time would've been nice:
"The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution, which gave the President the exclusive right to use military force without consulting the Senate, was based on a false pretext, as Johnson later admitted.[97]"

increased involvement in Vietnam

And he planned on reducing it:

"As President, Lyndon Johnson immediately reversed his predecessor's order to withdraw 1,000 military personnel by the end of 1963 with his own NSAM No. 273 on November 26, 1963.[94][95][96] Johnson expanded the numbers and roles of the American military following the Gulf of Tonkin Incident"
"By the end of 1964, there were approximately 23,000 military personnel in South Vietnam."
"By 1968, over 550,000 American soldiers were in Vietnam"

If you don't screw up.

Of course, early on there were many problems and failures anyway, but it ultimately led to success.

[stuff in quotes is from here]
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Millard Fillmore gave us video games, cellphones, and anime. All your arguments are invalid :|

Showing 31-45 of 47