ForumsThe TavernRussel Wilson: Rookie of the year? Your Thoughts.

15 2814
bobawesome
bobawesome
116 posts
Peasant

Coming into the 2012 season no one could have guessed what an impact Seahawks rookie QB Russel Wilson could have made. In fact nobody was even certain if he would start. Since then he has emerged a top 15 QB and is even eyeing rookie of the year honors. He outranks Andrew Luck in passer rating and RG3 in TDs and wins. He also ties Andrew Luck with wins. Now one question remains does the league's most under-rated rookie have what it takes to lead his team deep into the playoffs.
Give me you thoughts.

• 15 Replies
spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

no one could have guessed what an impact Seahawks rookie QB Russel Wilson could have made.

gee sorry to troll here but does anyone care...?

He outranks Andrew Luck in passer rating and RG3 in TDs and wins.

wow. if anyone could do that i would be surprised. looks like i have learned something today.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I care! And I bet a lot of football fans care.

Well, it should be Wilson or RGIII. Luck has thrown too many picks in his games. They are all really good players. If I HAD to choose between RGIII and Wilson I would go with RGIII. He has rebounded from lots of injuries. I think it should come down to who goes the furthest in the playoffs.
omarzoco
omarzoco
18 posts
Nomad

Maybe he'll be the rookie but last week during half time they showed a thing with americas votes and it was RG3 1st then Andrew Luck 2nd and then Russel Wilson but I think it should be

1. Andrew Luck
2. Russel Wilson
3. RG3

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

The surprise of the year is Russell Wilson. The one who played with his heart is Andrew Luck. The one with the best quarterback play is RG3 so I'm picking him. But the one with the best team I think is Wilson (Seahawks).

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I am going to go as in depth on each of them as possible. Primarily because I am bored.

Luck- The first round draft choice. Therefore he is expected to be really good. He has turned the whole Colts team around. The Colts are headed to the playoffs. Luck has led a ton of 4th quarter comebacks. However he has thrown a bunch of picks. He does though have the record for most passing yards for a rookie. Primarily because his team is one dimensional.

RGIII- The second round pick. Therefore a lot has been expected of him. Had a rough start but they have been winning. He has hurt himself a few times but has rebounded and is still playing well. He is a duel threat because of his running ability. However, even though he can run he can still throw very well. Also RGIII has the fewest interceptions of the 3. That is a good stat to have.

Wilson- 3rd round draft pick. He earned his way to the position beating out Matt Flynn. He seems to be improving each week which is good. Also he has the ability to dodge defenders like no one else. Since the middle of the season he has had the best passer rating (or one of the best).

Ummm...ya. If Wilson keeps playing at the level he has in the past few weeks he really should win. Again, Luck just as too many interceptions for me to pick him.

omarzoco
omarzoco
18 posts
Nomad

But the one with the best team I think is Wilson (Seahawks).

Clearly out of the 3 teams with these QB's seahawks are the best but that's not all Rusell Wilson cause they have like 1st or 2nd best D in the league (either them or the 9ers).

Well do they deside rookie of the year before the playoffs ?

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

Clearly out of the 3 teams with these QB's seahawks are the best but that's not all Rusell Wilson cause they have like 1st or 2nd best D in the league (either them or the 9ers).

Seattle is ranked 4th in total offense. I agree that it's not all Wilson and their big offensive contributor is Marshawn Lynch.
Well do they deside rookie of the year before the playoffs ?

I don't know for sure but it think it's before the playoffs.
SharpshooterAlpha
SharpshooterAlpha
5 posts
Nomad

I'm not sure when they decide rookie of the year but if it's after the Super Bowl then the playoffs will be the deciding factor between RG3 Wilson and Luck

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

but if it's after the Super Bowl then the playoffs will be the deciding factor between RG3 Wilson and Luck

It's still going to be between those three no matter what man.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Honestly I think these days you sometimes have to be a 1 man team to get awards and records. Examples: Luck, Johnson, Petterson

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

Here's my take on it...

I'm torn between RG3 and Wilson.

Luck is a very good quarterback and will be for many years to come, but the competition is too high and he's thrown way too many interceptions and his completion percentage is lower than that of his counterparts.

I would've never had expected Russel to make the kind of impact that he has. I actually thought Pete Carroll should've started Matt Flynn over him at the beginning of the season, but wow. How things have changed.

I think it very well may come down to what RG3 does in week 17 against the Cowboys. If he has a great game and leads them into the playoffs and NFC East champs, then I personally think he deserves the award.

However.. if he comes out and slumps in that game, and say, can't run as well as he's usually able to because of his knee injury, and his team ends up losing, then the award should go to Russel. Potentially 11-5 and the NFC West crown? I'd say he'd deserve it. He's played far better than ANYONE had expected.

ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

Yeah. Football fans and those who enjoy talking about it do care.

Take that negativity somewhere else.
SharpshooterAlpha
SharpshooterAlpha
5 posts
Nomad

Honestly I think these days you sometimes have to be a 1 man team to get awards and records. Examples: Luck, Johnson, Petterson

there is an exception to Calvin Johnson. The Lions knew they couldn't beat the Falcons in Atlanta so they did all they could so Megatron could beat out Jerry Rice
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

I would've never had expected Russel to make the kind of impact that he has. I actually thought Pete Carroll should've started Matt Flynn over him at the beginning of the season, but wow. How things have changed.

Same here after seeing how Matt Flynn threw those 6 touchdowns while Rodgers wasn't played since it was the last game of the season. I thought he would be the man for the Seahawks. Who knows what happened in the offseason and camp but looks like Russell came out. I think he would've gotten drafted a little earlier. Though his height was apparently the problem for most people.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

I think he would've gotten drafted a little earlier. Though his height was apparently the problem for most people.

Yes. People have said that if he was taller he might have been chosen in the first round. I bet lots of people wish they had him right now.
Showing 1-15 of 15