Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Soccer chat

Posted Dec 28, '12 at 8:07pm

FireflyIV

FireflyIV

3,302 posts

Meh, it's either Man City or Man United. Money vs money. It's not a contest anymore.

Money vs money would surely be Chelsea vs City? Utd make the most money, but the owners of Chelsea and city make far more available to their managers. And I actually think that City could drop out of the title race. They don't have the mental strength as shown by their embarassing Chamions League performances, and Mancini is running out of ideas and luck as the last game against Sunderland showed.

Walcott, Jenkinson, Gibbs, Ox, Wilshere. Up the Gunners!

If Carl Jenkinson ever gets an England cap then I think that's when we will know for sure that England's chances of winning a major tournament are dead. And we won't for some time, not for at least another 20 years. Our grassroots game is at least a generation behind everyone else's and with the so called 'Golden Generation' retiring, we don't really have anyone of quality coming through other than perhaps Wilshere.

I wouldn't bet against Brazil to win it on their home turf, but I wouldn't bet against the Spanish either. I'm going to play safe and plump for the Spaniards, their squad is ridiculously good. Their second XI would probably be better than England's first team, and even the Brazilians don't have that same depth.

Posted Dec 28, '12 at 8:29pm

IAgreeWithYou

IAgreeWithYou

531 posts

Everton is where the game is at. Why is no one seeing everton this season? If everton beats chelsea this weekend (They have a chance) then they'll jump up to at least fourth and maybe even third if tottenham mess up.

Everton is going strong this season and hopefully it'll be champions league for them next year.

Manchester united will win this season. (I hate to admit it, but it is true)

Chelsea is recovering from their november slump and I think whatever happens with them against Everton may dictate the season. If they go down to fifth I think there will be a lot of pressure on the squad and they may just lose a couple of key games.

At the bottom of the table I am loving watching reading at the moment. I don't know why but their style of play is great and even though they aren't doing too well I can see them picking up.

QPR has also been doing bad this season and I can't see why. They seem like a decent side on paper but they can't do well. I really hope they scratch some points up against liverpool though.

We then have west brom which seem to be just too sporadic. I can't see a top four place for them this season.

I don't talk about national teams till the euro or world cup. Obvious choices are spain, germany, england, and portugal.

Also, yes I go for Everton because Fellaini > Hazard any day of the week.

Posted Dec 28, '12 at 10:19pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,419 posts

Knight

Money vs money would surely be Chelsea vs City? Utd make the most money, but the owners of Chelsea and city make far more available to their managers. And I actually think that City could drop out of the title race. They don't have the mental strength as shown by their embarassing Chamions League performances, and Mancini is running out of ideas and luck as the last game against Sunderland showed.

No. United have quietly spent quite a sum since SAF came. During the derby last year, I remembered calculating the price tags of both teams, surprisingly, United's costs more.

If Carl Jenkinson ever gets an England cap

Spud. He's been magnificent this season.

It's football day!

PS. Fergie is disgusting for calling Newcastle a ''wee club in the NE''.

Posted Dec 28, '12 at 10:25pm

daleks

daleks

3,788 posts

Whenever I see soccer I think of the ESPN commercial with ManU and Man City. Honestly I cheer for Man City just to piss my friend off. He is a ManU fan.

Posted Dec 28, '12 at 11:09pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,419 posts

Knight

Same for me. But I hate City too. Poaching our players.

Posted Dec 29, '12 at 12:19am

sasukemystery

sasukemystery

1,459 posts

Man United and favorite is probably Persie or Rooney

Posted Dec 29, '12 at 7:03am

FireflyIV

FireflyIV

3,302 posts

No. United have quietly spent quite a sum since SAF came. During the derby last year, I remembered calculating the price tags of both teams, surprisingly, United's costs more.

Which derby? I find that incredibly hard to believe to be honest. City's team in the Champions League this year cost almost 200 million. As much as United spend, I doubt it is anywhere near as high as that, given that their transfer record is 30mil for Berbatov. In addition, United actually make the money back which they spend, bcause they have so many fans around the world.

He's been magnificent this season.

He's gone from being completely rubbish to being average. He had a few very good games at the beginnng of the season, but to call him magnificent is pure hype.

Fergie is disgusting for calling Newcastle a ''wee club in the NE''.

The man thinks he is a law unto himself. He should certainly have received punishment for harassing officials like that.

In any case, my mate has a spare ticket to the Fulham Swansea game which I'll be off to see. Given the weather I can only thank the good Lord I'll be sitting in the Jonny Haynes stand, under cover.

Posted Dec 29, '12 at 7:55am

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

900 posts

Oh, a soccer thread?
These never usually last.

Everton is going strong this season and hopefully it'll be champions league for them next year.

I doubt it, honestly.
Tottenham should win their match today against Sunderland, though it's 0-0 at the minute.

I can't see Everton winning tomorrow, at best a 1-1 draw.

Who I think the top 4 will be this year is Utd, City, Chelsea and Arsenal/Tottenham.

So, transfer season.
Who do you think will buy what?

Posted Dec 29, '12 at 9:38am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,419 posts

Knight

Utd, Chelsea, City, Arsenal.

Transfer season usually cheeses me off. So much speculation, so much hope, so much disappointment.

Posted Dec 29, '12 at 10:05am

GhostOfHorror

GhostOfHorror

900 posts

Yeah, I agree, I rarely watch soccer around this time of year and lose interest until March-ish.
Transfer season is always so overestimated.

Reply to Soccer chat

You must be logged in to post a reply!