ForumsWEPR[spam necro] Jacintha Saldanha

15 9895
sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

I'm sure most of us have heard the story already. But, for the ones that didn't, here's the article.

What's your thought on the issue? Was her suicide justifiable, was it needless, was it selfish? And, who's to blame for her suicide? The media, the DJ's, or even the people?

I personally think that no one here is to blame, but Jacintha herself. That's how suicide works. I also think that the DJ's are far from being the main cause of her death. No sane, happy mind would take their life away because of a prank like that. Sure, a tad embarrassing that she fell for something as ridiculous as a horrible impersonation of the queen of England, but still not a reason to off herself. What the DJ's were doing is what any DJ should be doing. Entertaining their listeners.
Now, was it the media's fault? They did, after all, blow it all out of proportion, stick the prank call on the front page and all that. But then again, they were responding to their readers. They stuck the news on the front page, because people all over the interwebz were discussing it, talking about it. So, they were just doing their jobs, same like the DJ's.
How are the people to blame? They're really not. They were reading an interesting story about a stupid prank that should have never worked. If you've heard the footage of the DJ's impersonating the queen, it was horrendous. I don't know of a single person on the face of this Earth that would've fell for that horrific impersonation. Not even the DJ's themselves thought it would work.

• 15 Replies
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

They certainly blew it out of proportion. Whilst I would tend to say that she overreacted, but the media hasn't revealed the whole story, leaving it vague and hanging, I wouldn't condemn her, and blame her. A death is a death, and should be mourned.

On the other hand, the people on Twitter who issued death threats are nut jobs. It's alright to condemn the DJs, but it's certainly not your job to escalate the issue and dole out crude vigilante 'justice'.

sensanaty
sensanaty
1,094 posts
Nomad

On the other hand, the people on Twitter who issued death threats are nut jobs. It's alright to condemn the DJs, but it's certainly not your job to escalate the issue and dole out crude vigilante 'justice'

That's another thing, I find it amazing that authorities might fine them and whatnot for a stupid but funny prank. If she hadn't committed suicide, good laughs would be had, people might joke around with her for some time, and nothing, life continues as it should. But, now the DJ's are condemned as monsters and whatever else, and are considered criminals.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

It's a case where a joke turns out horribly wrong, yet another reason not to take the mickey out of someone publicly, to humiliate them. But they aren't monsters. They didn't intend to kill. They're just twisted? Gloating all over the net about their proud exploit. It's sickening too, taking the piss out of someone just for your own delight, especially over such an important issue (It's the heir to the throne after all!)

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

I find it amazing that authorities might fine them and whatnot for a stupid but funny prank. If she hadn't committed suicide, good laughs would be had

This sort of gag happens all the time, but rarely involves royalty. It is indeed blown out of proportion.

I wouldn't condemn her, and blame her.

If she hadn't killed herself, she would've likely been fired due to breaking Doctor-Patient confidentialities and been a scapegoat for the hospital's failure to keep information secure, losing all credibility as a nurse. This would've made it nearly impossible to find another job. For everyone else, everything would keep spinning.
But since she did, everyone feels bad for her, now that she's considered the victim, so the blame must fall on others.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

If she hadn't killed herself, she would've likely been fired due to breaking Doctor-Patient confidentialities and been a scapegoat for the hospital's failure to keep information secure, losing all credibility as a nurse. This would've made it nearly impossible to find another job. For everyone else, everything would keep spinning.

No, the hospital claimed that they didn't discipline her at all. The hospital says it offered support to Saldanha and had stressed to her that she would not be disciplined for falling victim to the prank.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

I'm finding a lot of 'no comment' from the hospital. Got a link?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

I'm finding a lot of 'no comment' from the hospital. Got a link?

Here. Here.
LegoMyLego27
LegoMyLego27
100 posts
Shepherd

It's alright to condemn the DJs

No, to be honest, its not. They did a prank, and a not very smart nurse thought the DJs were really the Queen. How do you believe that? Then the nurse killed herself over falling for a prank. That is the nurses fault 99.9% and 0.1% the DJs fault.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Frankly it was blown terribly out of proportion, as much as it sounds horrible to say that when somebody died as a result. Were there failings at the hospital, the radio station and in the general media? Yes, yes there were - that doesn't excuse people calling for the DJs to be sentenced to life in prison (or worse).

It's a tragic accident but that's all it was. There was no sustained campaign of harm, no pre-meditated decision to drive someone to commit suicide or anything like that. It was a simple, one-off prank gone wrong.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

No, to be honest, its not. They did a prank, and a not very smart nurse thought the DJs were really the Queen. How do you believe that? Then the nurse killed herself over falling for a prank. That is the nurses fault 99.9% and 0.1% the DJs fault.

No it isn't. It's not right to take the mickey out of someone so publicly.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

especially over such an important issue (It's the heir to the throne after all!)

Women get morning sickness, I wouldn't call it an important issue
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

At that point, the media wasn't stating it was morning sickness, but HG, even more severe.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

No it isn't. It's not right to take the mickey out of someone so publicly.

happens on dutch radio a few times a day.
and they said they will continue whit it. it is their job to amuse their listeners.
unless your going to forbid prank calls in general, there is nothing wrong whit doing them live on the radio.
rafterman
rafterman
600 posts
Nomad

but HG

Which is morning sickness.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

No it isn't. Unlike morning sickness, can lead to serious complications for mothers and their unborn children. Various research shows the disease increases the risk of miscarriage, premature delivery and low birth weight.

Showing 1-15 of 15