ForumsPopular MediaComics

13 6517
Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

What are the best comic strips that appear in newspapers, or even online somewhere?

• 13 Replies
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Cyanide and Happiness is pretty good for the online comics.

But as far as the "funnies" in the newspaper are concerned, Dilbert has to be the best thought out. I personally find its dry, sarcastic humor enjoyable. When I was younger I never understood the jokes, or never thought they were funny. Now I understand them, and they are funny, in their own way.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

I haven't looked at the comics in newspapers for a while, but I do love the first two that pang gave. I would look at Cyanide and Happiness every once in a while. However, xkcd became more of an addiction since I loved the different types of humor being used. Each new issue was something different, yet there were enough sequel strips to allow for broader laughs. A lot of smart humor, too.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

xkcd is good. SMBC is also pretty good.The rest of Pang's suggestions blow :P

Well they might be okay. Haven't read much QC and Oglaf is pretty clearly not for me.

I personally like Order of the Stick, but it's not for everyone. But I'm amazed. Am I getting old? No one has mentioned the greatest comic to to grace the Internet. It is the Internet comic. It might not be the best artistically, or the most clever, but it's the funniest, and it perfectly captures the early days of webcomics (I'm old, sue me). It is the very essence of an Internet comic to me. I still cry ever time I read the last strip.

It was what they all wanted to be. It was what comics today dream of being. It was...

The best there's ever been.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Pearls Before Swine is hilarious for some reason. Dilbert and Wizard of Id are great. Overboard is really funny too. They're all in the newspaper, but you can find them online.

PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Oh yes, Pearls Before Swine is another good one. Nice T.Fish

MrStealth
MrStealth
151 posts
Peasant

yes pearls before swine is really good

MrStealth
MrStealth
151 posts
Peasant

calvin and hobbes is really good to

jkl3848
jkl3848
242 posts
Peasant

I like Dilbert.

MrStealth
MrStealth
151 posts
Peasant

yeah dilbert is really good

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

he rest of Pang's suggestions blow :P

Yeah Pang doesn't really have good taste in comics. But I feel that I (pang) do =p

Haven't read much QC

Primarily a love story (though he doesn't completely focus on it or enthrall the story in it) with usage of situational-esque comedy, some "adult humor", witty humor/remarks, etc
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I'm aware of your preferred capitalization. I just don't really care. I don't mean that in a mean way, it's just the truth.

As for newspaper comics, Calvin and Hobbes is the best, it's true. By a longshot. Other comics are just so bad by comparison, even funnyish ones like Dilbert.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I'm aware of your preferred capitalization. I just don't really care. I don't mean that in a mean way, it's just the truth.

I've come to learn this about you =p haha I'd feel terrible about myself if I just let it pass though XD

Other comics are just so bad by comparison

Honestly...it seems that they just try way too hard. Especially with trying to be witty and all..they try to give this huge build-up causing anticipation for some clever one-liner..and then it just comes crashing down with a "oh..I guess that was pretty funny...maybe.."
Showing 1-13 of 13