ForumsGamesAssassin's Creed III general discussion

87 15064
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

This is a general discussion thread for the last installment of the Assassin's Creed series. My general opinion about this game is mediocre, but I've played it enough to support my view. I was hoping to discuss with anyone about this game and since there was no thread about it, you can post here now.

What do you like and don't like in this game?

• 87 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

It was a good game, the story was a bit short but it was for me only 37% of the game. But I left a bunch of side missions to later and the continuity's worthless. For example, I can start riots against Patriots, and in a Homestead mission an African woman complains that "these men we're killing us in the name of the crown" or something when the men I had liberated her from were Bluecoats.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

They rank up when you use them to assassinate or riot. If they're successful, they earn XP. You can get more by liberating Templar forts... which is surprisingly easy.

Meh, the way in AC2/Brotherhood was more organised. They also looked like actual assassins with the robes, and once they reached maximum rank you could induct them, showed a nice little cutscene and everything.
I don't like the money system either. Apparently you're supposed to use it to upgrade your homestead, but it feels kind of pointless. The homestead offers nothing but a little time to blow off.

I read you can upgrade your ship, and it's necessary to upgrade to do some of the missions. I didn't do any of the ship missions until last night, but they're fun.
They do.

But does he invent things for you? Things that are useful for an assassin.

What we've learned from AC3 is that the farther into the future you go, the less variety you have. I had a whole bunch of fun playing the story (the game is beautiful) and still do have fun doing the side missions, but those things mentioned about AC2/Brotherhood made it that much more enjoyable.

They'll probably end up making another installment of AC, I think they should go back farther. Seems like there's more variety back then.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I read you can upgrade your ship, and it's necessary to upgrade to do some of the missions. I didn't do any of the ship missions until last night, but they're fun.

I bet you can, considering the mission with protecting the merchant ship and then destroying the fort was next to impossible, and it was only one of the very first ones. You get that cool captain's outfit though.

But does he invent things for you? Things that are useful for an assassin.

You can buy his inventions for your homestead. Most of them are pointless though. Display stuff for the most part.

They'll probably end up making another installment of AC, I think they should go back farther. Seems like there's more variety back then.

They actually had the power to go more in-depth with ACIII. It was Conner's character that screwed everything up. Imagine if you could own slaves, buy land, become a tycoon. It was undoubtedly a time where a man could get rich by buying and expanding. Conner just didn't seem like that type of guy though.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I bet you can, considering the mission with protecting the merchant ship and then destroying the fort was next to impossible, and it was only one of the very first ones.

That's actually the one I did last night, I didn't find it that difficult. First play through I died due to the fort's cannons, but second time around I took it out within five minutes.

Oh yeah, and I recently discovered the multiplayer has team game modes. I thought it was solely FFA, I've just been using quick match, but why not include team modes there?
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

Oh yeah, and I recently discovered the multiplayer has team game modes. I thought it was solely FFA, I've just been using quick match, but why not include team modes there?

Team modes are present in Assassin's Creed Multiplayer ever since Brotherhood. It's not something new.

And the fort isn't that difficult as well. At first I've been trying it the wrong way so i died some times. But when i got it i discovered thaat it wasn't so hard.

Generally, naval combat rocks. It is totally awesome despite the fact that almost all missions are very easy. Especially when you start fighting the Men-of -War.

I also liked the fact that you could play as Desmond and not only by exploring the cave and its surroundings like in the previous installments. You could actually go on missions with him. However, it was too short and it cannot keep up the interest.

An annoying fact however was the way many optional objectives were organized. For example, in some naval missions, the optional objective says:

sink ships by hitting their weakpoints: 0/2

And you only fight 2 frigates. Unless they both revealed a weakpoint, you just couldn't achieve Full sync. Unless you had the upgrades, you had to make some of your shots miss intentionally to cause the right damage and it was still too risky. Also in the second mission for captain kidd's treasure:

Optional objectives:

Perform running assassinations: 0/3
Stay in a minimum distance with your target: - 40
Assassinate your target before he reaches the caves.

In order to achieve the third, you had to accomplish the first and the second.
But when i am going to do the third running assassination, the camera turns and shows the way your target went off, collapsing. As the camera turns, you have to rotate the stick to make Connor change direction so that you are running straight on the third enemy so that you can do the assassination. And trust me, its much harder than it looks. You have to calculate the amount you need to turn the left sick with the camera always showing your character from the side. I reloaded that point 8 times and i still haven't gotten the full synchronization due to that.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

Team modes are present in Assassin's Creed Multiplayer ever since Brotherhood. It's not something new.

I know, I just didn't see them here due to my tv cutting off parts of the screen. I'm wondering why they don't include them in the "quick match" selection, would be great to play all game modes there instead of the two-three FFA ones they offer.
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

You may be right but i never explored the modes. I only liked "WANTED" and "ASSASSINATE". Anyway, multiplayer is quite good up until now, despite the fact that Assassin's Creed III is the worst game in the series (worst meaning mediocre to bad, since the others were, at least for me, top.).

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I don't know about that... ACI was pretty bad, but I guess it was good considering it was the very first game of the series and was basically a test game to see if the series would be successful.

amazing_me
amazing_me
10 posts
Nomad

I just finished it. I think Assasins Creed III is one of the best game of 2012. I like its graphics and storyline. I noticed that Connor not only fights for independence but also takes care of his people. I bought this game at [url=http://www.go2arena.com/assassin-s-creed.html] and i played â¬20 but it's worth even more.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,622 posts
Herald

I don't know about that... ACI was pretty bad, but I guess it was good considering it was the very first game of the series and was basically a test game to see if the series would be successful.

Yeah, it was good considering it was the first. They got to see what people liked and disliked.

I would say Revelations is the worst in the series, it didn't change much from previous tittles and they took out things that made AC2 and Brotherhood very enjoyable. It felt like they could've released it as DLC instead of a whole game.
Doombreed
Doombreed
7,022 posts
Templar

I think Assasins Creed III is one of the best game of 2012. I like its graphics and storyline. I noticed that Connor not only fights for independence but also takes care of his people.

Connor is very naive and he acts rashly and foolishly most of the times, like a teenager. I know, he is a teenager but all this Assassin training, studying Philosophy and Logic and abiding by the Assassins' rules, and yet he behaves so foolishly. For example, he was blaming Charles Lee for the death of his mother during the entire game, even when the truth was discovered. He killed John Pitcairn and William Johnson only to seemingly protect his people. Even when they explained, moments before they died why it was a mistake, all he could say was: "Enough" and "I won't listen any more of those lies". Without even saying why. Also, the actor's voice acting for Connor is not good enough as it cannot always show the feelings he is supposed to feel. He calls Achilles old man and mocks him whenever he is angry, but what really made me hate him, was the way he killed Charles Lee.
Just when he was catching up on him, they both fell unconscious and Charles woke up first. After a brief discussion, Connor goes relatively slowly for his pistol and even when he grabs it his hand is shaking and he is delayed. All this time Charles Lee is over him and just looks at him, without doing anything to stop him like Kicking or stabbing him. Later at the tavern, it was a good scene because it shown that Lee has accepted his fate, but none of them said a single word. Not even after Connor stabbed him, when most assassinated targets usually say some last words (Tarik, Juan Borgia, Cesare, Manuel Palaiologos). He is the first character to be assassinated by the player and not speak.

I would say Revelations is the worst in the series, it didn't change much from previous tittles and they took out things that made AC2 and Brotherhood very enjoyable. It felt like they could've released it as DLC instead of a whole game.

I used to totally support this view until I played ACIII. Although they've introduced many new things in that game most of them sucked. Still Revelations is also a mediocre game as it indeed like a DLC.
CountDimentio
CountDimentio
4 posts
Nomad

I think most of people who don't like it simply have to get used to it , i mean am i the only one who plays AC for the storyline?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

That's probably the main reason why I play it. The story lines have always been top-notch, and in III the storyline is the best part of the game. The action is pretty good, but it gets bland after you've killed 10,000 British soldiers.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Charles Lee's death was illogical, he's a military man and would have easily killed Connor with a pistol/knife or alerted the pile of Redcoats by the fort near the Last Drink Tavern. To be honest, I liked Charles, I didn't get why he went from a happy, loyal man to "Living in the dirt like animals" It was weird. And the Templars that Connor killed, if they were telling the truth, should have lived. Connor effectively secured the destruction of his people.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

That's probably the main reason why I play it. The story lines have always been top-notch, and in III the storyline is the best part of the game. The action is pretty good, but it gets bland after you've killed 10,000 British soldiers.

Think that's bad? Why can I set American people on their own Patriot soldiers? That's just weird.
Showing 16-30 of 87