ForumsWEPRAm i Evil?

56 8627
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I have been wondering about this for a long time and i really started thinking about it around 3 weeks ago. This was when i began my bombing training. I can now drop 1000 pound laser guided and 500 pound unguided bombs from a harrier GR7. I became i fighter pilot because i loved flying and the RAF is in my history but the dropping of bombs never occured to me to be an issue. I am going to Afghanistan for my first 4 month tour in 9 months next february. I will almost certainly have to drop bombs and i have no doubt in my ability to do so but it is the moral issue i am questioning. I myself try to focus on the positive side of it ie the lives i save by doing so and i think about my brother who is a royal marine whose life has been saved by close air support on a number of occassions and that seems to justify it. However my mother is very religious and thinks all killing is wrong. For me it is not a religious issue as i am an atheist however i think it would be quite souless to say that atheists dont feel anything whilst killing. I myself think that it is a good job done if i drop a bomb and also feel a sense of professional pride but i understand there are lots of people who dont feel that way. I want people to give their opinion on this however i dont want this to turn into a thread about the Iraq war please keep it specific thank you.

• 56 Replies
Showing 76-75 of 56