ForumsThe TavernBig Bang Theory

11 3339
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

I have had a question about the Big Bang Theory. Where did the stuff that blew up come from? It is bothering me and I want to know the answer.

• 11 Replies
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

There is no stuff that blew up. There is no stuff before the Big Bang. The Big Bang created stuff. Nobody knows how or why the Big bang came to be. Right now, it just is.

Tactical_Fish
Tactical_Fish
776 posts
Blacksmith

Theory
We don't know for sure. Thus, the theory. Right now it's just one of the best theories out there.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Chuck Lorre is a good director, but he isn't what I want right now. Thanks anyway, Google.

Actually, if you did even a little tidbit of research, you'd find it isn't understood very much.

The link should suffice.

handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

I trained in Psvchology so I understand little about how physicists explain where the world around us comes from. I think that we will only scratch the surface of solving where the universe comes from. We gather data now about events that occurred an infinitely long time ago. The thing with infinity is if you decide X is infinity you can always add 1. So if we say the big bang moment was thw first moment of time we can always ask what happened at the big bang moment minus one second. Leonard is confused.

If you really want to find out more where the stuff for the big bang came from, maybe you could do your own research into the matter.

Big Bang theorists! Is it a theory or an hypothesis?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

i think this is more suited for WEPR...

Anyways...a couple of points

-Not a hypothesis..as it is not an expirement
-There is no such thing as nothing..technically (go to "How old is universe thread in WEPR...MGW has an image gif on there explaining what nothing happens to be)..so &quotre-Bing Bang" there was something, but it was nothing (which happens to be something)...following?
-Quantum Fluctuations

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

-Not a hypothesis..as it is not an expirement

Being an experiment is not a requirement of a hypothesis.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

As for Handler's question, I believe it's a theory, not a hypothesis. There is sufficient evidence to satisfy the core ideas of the theory.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I dunno. I have to say there is some doubt as to the accuracy of the Big Bang theory. After all, (like pang said) there was nothing, then out of nothing came something, and the something was still nothing, since there was nothing in the first place.

Sounds like some reason for doubt.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

The thing with infinity is if you decide X is infinity you can always add 1. So if we say the big bang moment was thw first moment of time we can always ask what happened at the big bang moment minus one second. Leonard is confused.

Question is, is it really correct to assume infinity automatically, both in time and space? I don't think we have an answer to that yet, so we shouldn't assume too much.

After all, (like pang said) there was nothing, then out of nothing came something, and the something was still nothing, since there was nothing in the first place.

What he meant (you really should go read in the thread he mentioned) is that there is no true 'nothing'. Quantum fluctuations and stuff, ya know. Go read it there, it's better explained.
dr_doughnut
dr_doughnut
72 posts
Nomad

There is no stuff that blew up. There is no stuff before the Big Bang. The Big Bang created stuff.

But what blew up?
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

But what blew up?

As Gantic somewhat explained, nothing "blew up." It is more accurate to just say it expanded, and as for what, all matter.
Showing 1-11 of 11