ForumsThe TavernChain letters: Discussion

16 4411
theEPICgameKING
theEPICgameKING
807 posts
Farmer

Ever read one of those "STOP AND SEND THIS TO 10 OTHER PEOPLE OR AN EVIL UNDEAD GIRL FROM HELL WILL KILL YOU SLOWLY" or whatever? How'd these get popular? How gullible must people be to believe in them? How many varieties are there?
And most importantly...ARE. THEY. REAL.

I say they're not real, because I've read over 20 such things and i'm still al-dahfjsahfhahfa,.............................................. HA, you thought that was me getting strangled at the keyboard eh? No, they're not real. They're not. Fun to read, but not real. Fiction.

• 16 Replies
PauseBreak
PauseBreak
317 posts
Templar

Your thread makes it sound like you are trying to convince yourself its not real.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

HA, you thought that was me getting strangled at the keyboard eh?

Perpetrator: "Well I guess I just killed this guy. Oh look, he's writing a message. Let's post it for him because I'm a nice guy."

Also, if you want to find all these gullible people, it isn't really that hard.

Middle school.
knight_34
knight_34
13,822 posts
Farmer

PauseBreak, I've never met you during my newly-revived AG life but I'd like to think your name somehow explains the blatantly obvious point of your post.

OP, are you talking to yourself? I thought this wasn't supposed to be a soliloquy.

Spam chain letters. It's a high-volume, low-yield gig I assume. My question is, do people actually make profit out of this garbage? Who is interested in such madness?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,987 posts
Grand Duke

Internet trolls thrive on them I would expect. Hello Knight, I'm going to send you 4444 chain mails tonight.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I've always wanted to make one..but not in the traditional "You will be visited by an evil witch tonight who will kill you". No..more in a "If you do not send this to 10 people then your mind will began to worry heavily about this to the point that it gives you a fair amount of stress, causing you to think about it more, which thus increases your stress levels..this happening continuously on a loop until you finally snap and fall into a nervous fit"

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

My question is, do people actually make profit out of this garbage? Who is interested in such madness?

My cousin does it on Facebook for a side-job. She makes good money. She posts them everywhere, then when a reader looks at them, they tend to click on her profile link to see if it's legit. On her (fake) Facebook page there are nothing but ads. It's a telemarketing ploy.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

It's a telemarketing ploy.

I believe it's just a marketing ploy, or an advertising ploy, rather then telemarketing, considering Facebook has little to do with talking on the phone.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I believe it's just a marketing ploy, or an advertising ploy, rather then telemarketing, considering Facebook has little to do with talking on the phone.

Whatever the technical term is. I guess it would be advertising.
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Interesting. I have an idea for your cousin, Sal:

DO NOT CLICK ON MY PROFILE

reverse psychology. Works every time.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

DO NOT CLICK ON MY PROFILE

I'll show you...

My cousin does it on Facebook for a side-job. She makes good money. She posts them everywhere, then when a reader looks at them, they tend to click on her profile link to see if it's legit. On her (fake) Facebook page there are nothing but ads. It's a telemarketing ploy.

How'd she get this job? I want it..
Ferret
Ferret
9,323 posts
Bard

Chain-letters are all nonsense. They will all be destroyed.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

So we have solved where the facebook ones come from..but what about email and text message ones?

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

I think people just like thinking that they started something and that everyone is going to be so "Scared". -_-â¢

I hate the email ones because spammers that get your email adress when someone FWD's a message on to you are constantly sending me messages.

I should probably get smarter friends.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

-_-â¢

...IAgree...da fuq is this?

I should probably get smarter friends.

Idk...I kinda miss getting 'em on text..they were a good laugh. Some were actually pretty interesting haha
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

...IAgree...da fuq is this?

>

Idk...I kinda miss getting 'em on text..they were a good laugh. Some were actually pretty interesting haha

I remember trying to make my own and it was about some crazy ape that was going to take over the world and it was completely stupid and obviously not true.

The next day I had 10 messages. -_-â¢

©-_- is a registered trademark by the pang corporation and the Agreeing foundation is not related to the trademark or intellectual property in any way.
Showing 1-15 of 16