ForumsThe TavernSports Striking Out

5 1954
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I'm pretty sure most of you have heard of the ongoing 2012-13 NHL Lockout.

I've met a few people that are kind of upset by the whole deal, but they don't really seem to care if the NHL games continue or not. (I agree. I'm not a hockey fan.)

But it suddenly occurred to me... Similar strikes have been held in the past. (Most recently with the NBA in 2011.), but they never really affected anybody. Most people just shrugged it off, and forgot about it.

But what would happen if (for example purposes only) the NFL had a lockout during the regular season? A lockout that completely canceled the season, the pro-bowl, and most importantly, the Super Bowl.

What do you think the reaction to such an incident would be? I personally think it would be a national catastrophe (Not an actual disaster, but it would cause anger and frustration.)

How would you react to such an incident? (A better example for you who live out of the USA would be if FIFA canceled the World Cup due to a lockout.)

• 5 Replies
xxBoogeymaNxx
xxBoogeymaNxx
83 posts
Nomad

I believe most people would be frustrated for a little bit then find something else to do with their time. A relatively small number of people would probably take frustration to the next level somehow. I don't think it would be as big of a deal as it seems like it would be and it might even encourage people to go out and actually do something instead of sitting on the couch and watching football (or futbol). Personally, I wouldn't really care.

Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

I think most people take professional sports way too seriously. I have tried watching many different sports and I end getting so board, that I actually fall asleep! That's including when I'm in a stadium and there are hundreds of cheering people.

In my opinion, if one of these organizations had a lockout or something like it, some people would get annoyed for a little while but then everyone would forget about it. The only impact it would have on their lives is that they would spend less time in front of the TV and they would waste less money on going to the stadiums and arenas.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

(A better example for you who live out of the USA would be if FIFA canceled the World Cup due to a lockout.)

If they did, which they won't in all likelihood, there will be rioting. You can be sure of that. Arsenal fans almost went on strike against a Tube Strike which cancelled their derby match.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

Didn't the NFL almost have a lockout a couple of years ago?

I think the other leagues just need to take a page out of MLB's book..last lockout in '94...and will do all in their power to prevent one again

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I don't think it would be as big of a deal as it seems like it would be and it might even encourage people to go out and actually do something instead of sitting on the couch and watching football (or futbol).

Futbol? Really?

Anyway, it's not like people sit around all the time watching football... It only plays twice a week during the normal season. (Sunday and Monday night.)

The only impact it would have on their lives is that they would spend less time in front of the TV and they would waste less money on going to the stadiums and arenas.

I wouldn't call it a waste to go see a football game. It's fun to walk into that stadium of 65,000 fans... Kind of exhilarating.

I have tried watching many different sports and I end getting so board, that I actually fall asleep!

I guess you've never seen a football (American) game wind down to the last 15 secs, then see that hail mary pass that wins the game. Those keep you on the edge of your seats.

Didn't the NFL almost have a lockout a couple of years ago?

They did, but it didn't effect the normal season, so it wasn't really a major issue.

If they did, which they won't in all likelihood, there will be rioting.

No doubt. There would probably be some war, or an attack on the FIFA headquarters. No one would really care here in the US about it though... Soccer isn't prominent enough.
Showing 1-5 of 5