ForumsWEPRNow more rights for women in Afganastan

6 2606
Cheeseman298
Cheeseman298
118 posts
Nomad

I was reading this article in this magazine and it said that there is now no more rights for girls in Afganastan.
Aparrently this is actually a type of religon called "Purdah". It was started when the Taliban became the ruler of Afganastan. Purdah was made to keep the womens purity. Women and young girls arn't allowed to go to school, or even show there faces! Who thinks this is wrong? Well, we should respect their religon but still everyone, man or women sould have rights. In this topic discuss your thoughts on this problem.

• 6 Replies
thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Purdah is not a religion. It's the practice of preventing men from seeing women. It is common in Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia. In Islam, sexual purity is very important. They don't even want men to look at other women so they can remain pure.

It's wrong according to Western style beliefs, but it's not the Wests duty to change it. If there is to be change, it has to be internal.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

If there is to be change, it has to be internal.

True- and I agree wholly on many levels.

But one can't help but ask...what avenues are there to change from within in the face of such cultural suppression?
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Well strop its a little different than that. The taliban who rule some parts of Afghanistan follow only the book of the sword. However they are mistaken as fundamentalists. Theu do not agree with all the morals of Islam but choose different parts of the quran to belive in effectively meaning they want to revert society back to the middle ages. Do not mistake this for a cultural issue because many women in that region and lots of men are not in favour of these harsh laws. One example i have is that when i met the educational director for the Helmand province in Afghanistan he said he has 220 schools and 60 of them had to be closed down. Why? Because the teachers there had been taken in fron of the children and beheaded just because they taught girls aswell. Many people belive that the Taliban are very popular in Afghanistan among the locals which isnt true. Many of them are hoping for change in the region. Many of the Taliban themselves are from the madrasssahs in Pakistan very few are Afghanistani.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

But one can't help but ask...what avenues are there to change from within in the face of such cultural suppression?

That's what people said about Spain, Portugal, Greece, Eastern European Communist states, and the Soviet Union. But those oppressive dictatorships fell with little to no violence (except for Romania). Change can be made and it doesn't require violence.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Greece? I am half Greek wot dictatorship did we have there? I mean we had the generals in the 70s and 80s but they werent so bad they just didnt know how to run the country.

Wittman
Wittman
318 posts
Nomad

Have of the countries you said, thelistman, are not dictatorship countries. The were back in the 1900 or 1800 but not now.

Showing 1-6 of 6