ForumsThe TavernCrossfit

30 10038
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

So..not sure if there are many people that know about it..but this thread is for all you crossfitters out there! (or just those interested)

What is crossfit?
Crossfit is a strength and conditioning workout focusing on a constantly varied, high intensity, functional movement. Workouts are typically shortâ"20 minutes or lessâ"and intense, demanding all-out physical exertion. They combine movements such as sprinting, rowing, jumping rope, climbing rope, flipping tires, weightlifting, carrying heavy objects, and many bodyweight exercises

CrossFit is the application of the fundamentals of Newtonian mechanics to human movement

In other words...Crossfit's purpose is to give you a high intensity workout with the basis of mechanics that are natural and beneficial for the human body and its application in everyday life (this is most clearly shown in pulling exercises and keeping pullups, for example)

If you have any questions about Crossfit, feel free to ask, and either DWF or I will be more than happy to answer them. More will be placed on here about Crossfit after I get back from work

• 30 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Sets of what exactly?

Check your presses and rows again. A great deal of your sets are in that range, and the ones that aren't are still within that so-called "functional strength" range (6-8 reps).

I don't understand how you'll achieve maximum strength gains

They're not powerlifters (a misnomer, by the way). You say you don't understand why I'm comparing you, but this is why. You're putting yourself (or others) against them. They train differently, plain and simple.

HOWEVER, I will say that those numbers are VERY impressive. They weigh in at 120-150, and are lifting near double, double, and triple their body weight on those exercises.

Perhaps an exaggeration on my part, but yes, those lifts are still impressive, especially since they aren't powerlifters/Olympic weightlifters.

But I suggest you stop posting. Your reputation as the so-called fitness expert here will mislead people.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

You're putting yourself against them.

What? As I previously mentioned, the first few posts are negative, but since crossfit has been explained I haven't put myself against them. I wasn't even the first to mention my lifts against them, in your first response post you decided to claim that the women could lift near if not more than me. Without proof I might add, but I haven't been trying to compare myself to them. I explained that what you said was wrong and left it at that.
They train differently, plain and simple.

Yes, but I'm trying to understand why they train that way. The opening post mentions that it's strength and "conditioning" work done in 20 minutes or less. It seems like there are better ways to achieve strength and athletic performance goals.

As I don't know much about crossfit, how often do they train like that? How do they incorporate an exercise such as the deadlift (along with others) in just 20 minutes? I'm interested is all.
But I suggest you stop posting. Your reputation as the so-called fitness expert here will mislead people.

First, no.
Second, I'm not telling people here what to do, just expressing what I thought/think and trying to learn more about this.
Also, I've never claimed to be an "expert", but if people here see me that way, that's not my problem. Common sense should be used, if you get advice from someone on a topic such as fitness and are interested, you should do research. Not everything a single person does will work for everyone else.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Yes, but I'm trying to understand why they train that way. The opening post mentions that it's strength and "conditioning" work done in 20 minutes or less. It seems like there are better ways to achieve strength and athletic performance goals.

I keep saying this: it's not a strength-focused regimen. Get that through your head. It says strength and conditioning (and a lot of other things, too). If they wanted to be strong, they can be powerlifters. But you're not going to see a powerlifter with the conditioning of a distance runner. Crossfit simply combines all those aspects to create a consummate, albeit diffuse, program.

And I would argue that Crossfit is a solid program for developing well-rounded athletes. No, it is not sports-specific, so doing Crossfit over a football-focused workout isn't going to give you the same performance results on the field. But for overall performance (power, strength, endurance, stability, etc.), it works well. After all, Crossfit is not for athletes looking to go pro; it's for the layman looking to get in shape.

Second, I'm not telling people here what to do, just expressing what I thought/think and trying to learn more about this.

If you're actually interested, take the time to learn instead of making assumptions. Crossfit has an enormous community from which you can derive information.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

If they wanted to be strong, they can be powerlifters.

Sorry. If they wanted to be as strong as possible, I meant.
DancesWithFoxes
DancesWithFoxes
58 posts
Nomad

Crossfit and it's safety

Crossfit..when done properly..should be relatively safe. As pang stated earlier..there is usually a large focus on getting one's technique and mechanics down before beginning to move them up on weights, as to assure that they will keep the proper form. As one moves up on weights..when they start to falter..it is best to let them stay on that weight until they can do the movement without faltering..then letting them continue.

In Crossfit...the type of training you receive will be from the type of trainer you have. Some like to start new people off with a few weeks of simple mechanics training..other have more "give them lighter weights, throw 'em in the workouts, and as they go teach them proper mechanics" (these trainers usually are used to those that have already reached the level of continuous high-intensity). My recommendation is to keep yourself focused on mechanics..make sure you learn the mechanics and can get to a point where you can perform them without even having to think your way through it..from there..being to climb in weights.

Reminder: Form is important. Many people have been injured due to poor form, many-a-snatches have been lost due to poor footing, and many times people will over-exert themselves by trying to "ego-rep" (which is to let your ego get a-hold of you during a rep, causing you to lose focus on your mechanics and try all in your power just to get through the movement)

Basic Crossfit movements

There are nine basic movements in crossfit: the air squat, front squat, overhead squat, shoulder press, push press, push jerk, deadlift, sumo deadlift high pull, and medicine ball clean.

How to perform an air squat correctly:

When some people go into a squat formation they bend at the knees first. That is one of the ways to injure your knees. What you want to do is: stand with feet shoulder width apart (feet facing out at a 30 degree angle while keeping a good lumbar curve), bend at the hips into a squat form, keep your knees out (your knees should be pointing the same direction as your feet going all the way down), keep all your weight sitting on your heels, you should always aim to squat to just below parallel (meaning your hip joint needs to come just below your knee), and most of the power that comes from your squat is from opening the hips (as you go to stand back up drive your hips in an upward motion).

More descriptions on how to perform these movements coming soon. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

*pang posts thread*

*Matrix and RayOfLight, AG's duo team of fitness buffs, begin debate*

Anyway, I used to Crossfit until I realized how little it helped me. It's only for certain people, keep that in mind.

DancesWithFoxes
DancesWithFoxes
58 posts
Nomad

Well how long did you do crossfit? If you've only done it for a few months of course you're not going to get results. Crossfit is made for anybody and everybody. Keep that in mind you just have to stick with it and eat right.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

*Matrix and RayOfLight, AG's duo team of fitness buffs, begin debate*

Yeah..wasn't expecting that haha

Anyway, I used to Crossfit until I realized how little it helped me. It's only for certain people, keep that in mind.

For DWF and I...one thing our trainers (husband and wife that train as a duo) tell us is that "if you are going into Crossfit looking for immediate results, you will be disappointed." Most people go into Crossfit and have a mindset that in a few weeks or a couple of months they will become "buff" or "ripped". The people that do become so from CrossFit are those that have been with it for a relatively long time

Because of Crossfits wide variety of focus..the change isn't as noticeable like it would be for, say, a cross-country runner or bodybuilder..due to the fact that you aren't working the same muscles in a row each time you workout.

If you need to do a pullup for any reason, being able to do a regular pullup sounds more beneficial.

But if you need to do a pullup for any reason..being able to do a kipping pullup (which we do work-on..we do not ignore regular pull-ups. In fact, if someone wants to do a normal pull-up during a work-out instead of a kipping pull-up..they are more than welcome to. But with kipping it is very helpful, especially when tired. Also..kipping is not a swing, you are using your core to give your body momentum, then using your legs and core to give your body a little &quotush" before finishing the pull-up with your arms) would be a lot more efficient in the goal (as in..getting your chin/head above the bard) and keeping a constant movement
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I started crossfit when I was in 8th grade and stopped his fall. I did it for about 3 years. 8th grade to 11th, daily, and noticed very little improvement.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I started crossfit when I was in 8th grade and stopped his fall. I did it for about 3 years. 8th grade to 11th, daily, and noticed very little improvement.

What was your eating habits like? Did you use proper form and technique? Were you at a high level of intensity when doing the WOD's? How often did you workout?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Quoting is murder on this thing.

I have a diet that follows the pyrimad.

My spotter has been corssfitting for years and taught me proper technique.

Yes.

Daily.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Pyrimad*
Crossfitting*
Auto-incorrect*

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

RayOfLight

Lin*. RayOfLight is different.

Found this guy some months ago, is that crossfit? His training sessions are mostly under 20 minutes and they seem to have high intensity, plus the other things described in the opening post.
But with kipping it is very helpful, especially when tired. Also..kipping is not a swing, you are using your core to give your body momentum, then using your legs and core to give your body a little &quotush" before finishing the pull-up with your arms) would be a lot more efficient in the goal (as in..getting your chin/head above the bard) and keeping a constant movement

This looks like swinging to me. He's throwing his legs behind him, in front, then pulling up, thus making the movement very easy. And from the videos on kipping pullups I've seen, they do the movement rather quickly. I just don't see the purpose of doing these over traditional pull/chin ups. I can't see the benefit.
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Lin*. RayOfLight is different.

rayoflight3*. No more asinine libel from you.

Found this guy some months ago, is that crossfit? His training sessions are mostly under 20 minutes and they seem to have high intensity, plus the other things described in the opening post.

I don't think that's Crossfit, but he has a training mentality that is not unlike that of Crossfit.

This looks like swinging to me. He's throwing his legs behind him, in front, then pulling up, thus making the movement very easy. And from the videos on kipping pullups I've seen, they do the movement rather quickly. I just don't see the purpose of doing these over traditional pull/chin ups. I can't see the benefit.

It makes the pullup a full body explosive movement. I think there are more effective ways to get the intended effects, but the exercise is by no means purposeless. I see a lot of gymnasts do similar movements.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

rayoflight3*. No more asinine libel from you.

You'll always be Lin, MonLin, etc. to me, don't forget those days. They're not easily forgotten by others.
I see a lot of gymnasts do similar movements.

I was thinking something similar because of some Google images, but I wasn't sure if that was what they were going for.
Showing 16-30 of 30