Forums

ForumsPopular Media

Anime and Manga

Posted Jan 26, '13 at 1:08pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

Surely you can at least dole out some recommendations. Do you know of any engaging thriller anime that intersperse an occasional light-hearted scene between the tenser moments? One with endearing characters, too. If you've watched Steins;Gate, something along those lines.

Posted Jan 26, '13 at 2:39pm

Mickeyryn

Mickeyryn

273 posts

memory flashback I remember when I was in 1st grade my brother and some other kids in his 3rd grade class didnt even know what manga was but started a schoolwide company and gipped all these people into buying their crap and my brother even gipped me-his own brother! to buy a stupid manga monster. for ****ing $2.50 ! grrrr

Posted Jan 26, '13 at 6:08pm

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,938 posts

If you've watched Steins;Gate, something along those lines.
I did, but Steins; Gate is a masterpiece, finding similar anime is a toughie. Well, just for your pleasure, I can throw some harem, action, funny, romance, mecha, something-something anime just for your sake. Lets see...from the top of my memory...

11eyes, packed with action, a hard to follow storyline, and some romance here and there. I enjoyed it, though it felt a bit incomplete.

Heaven's lost property is a good romantic comedy if you're into that sort of thing, it will definitely make you laugh.

sword art online is a recent breakthrough, it has amazing characters, story, etc...

Full moon is a bit of a drama and story involved one, I enjoyed every minute of it ^_^

some random titles now...shugo chara, inuyasha, the girl who lept trough time, shuffle, high school of the dead, seiko no qwaser, soul eater, after, higurashi when they cry, elfen lied, seitokai no ichizon, bakugan...honestly I don't think any of these fall in the category you asked for, but w/e.
I LOVE ALL ANIME. DEAL WITH IT.

Also, hopefully I didn't butcher any of the names I mentioned.

Also, if you're really into anime and want some good anime, I know I have a text document where I put like a list of 500+ anime on my floppy disk somewhere...ok, I'm just babbling at this point. I'll stop now ;_;

Posted Jan 27, '13 at 2:50pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

Hm...I looked into some of these titles...

Yeah, I know Steins;Gate was **** good and not something that could be easily matched, but I was looking more for a seinen thriller that isn't bereft of lighter moments. But still primarily focused on drama and suspense, with a bit of mystery throw in there to make me think. Thanks anyway.

Posted Jan 27, '13 at 2:51pm

arkaninerenegade

arkaninerenegade

835 posts

hey anyone know of any anime similar to death note/code geass?

Posted Jan 27, '13 at 5:55pm

sourwhatup2

sourwhatup2

3,795 posts

hey anyone know of any anime similar to death note/code geass?

You should probably search in the area of Phychological Mysteries.

Monster, Spiral, Zombie Loan, Jigoku Shouju, Ergo Proxy, Ghost in the Shell, etc. I can't really think of any other ones at the moment. :P

Monster is pretty good though, I recommend that one myself. But look there are many of these, and not all are like DN and CG. :P

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 3:19am

dragonball05

dragonball05

1,800 posts

I was looking more for a seinen thriller that isn't bereft of lighter moments. But still primarily focused on drama and suspense, with a bit of mystery throw in there to make me think.

Well this is going purely off of the shard of a memory that I have for one episode of this anime, but I think Darker than Black might be good for you. I can't remember, though, and my internet connection won't let me go sample one of the episodes for you right now.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 3:50am

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

I've watched Darker than Black. It's good if you can get past the biepisodic nature of its plot thread. The ending (of the second season) leaves a bit to be desired, but I loved the universe that it created.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 9:18am

fantasy4life

fantasy4life

1,938 posts

@rayoflight3

Hmmm, how about Hyouka? it has a good and comedic approach to mystery happening in every day life, not anything serious, but more of a slice of life kind of thing.

Posted Jan 29, '13 at 12:36pm

rayoflight3

rayoflight3

440 posts

I was watching Hyouka for a little bit. Got up to episode 10. It started off nicely, but it got a bit too slow for me. Does it pick up the pace in the latter half?

Also, has anyone watched Gosick? Thoughts?

Reply to Anime and Manga

You must be logged in to post a reply!