ForumsNews and FeedbackArmor Games Mascot

103 30008
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Since John has retired from Armor Games, and along with John went the iconic blue elephant that is beloved by all AG users. While this elephant was regarded as a de facto mascot, it suddenly occurred to me, why doesn't AG have an official mascot? While the choices are limited, (unless a new character is created), I was thinking maybe Sushi Cat?

What are your opinions, views, thoughts, recommendations, ideas, or suggestions? (Admins and mods, you're included (not that you need to be told you're included, since you would include yourself anyway, but I thought it would be nice for you to know you're welcome.))

• 103 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

So, in conclusion, I see that the sentence must come out one of two ways:

Or, alternately, "It is ferrets /of which we talk), after all"...
But thank you all for stomping around in this, it was truly appreciated, and did not in any way confuse me more about something I already have trouble with.
mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

Ya'know we should place a knight with a shield as a mascot of AG .

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

I already made the thread, check the tavern. Also, armoured animals is a great idea. I thought the drawings were great, but as mascots should be anthropomorphic and stylized in some cartoon manner so that they are recognized more easily.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Whoah... Jeol is a grammar Nazi. *screams*

Nice to see the thread generating some discussion though, even if it's off topic.

Lulzshock
Lulzshock
19 posts
Blacksmith

I don't think we should give up the Blue Elephant yet. Would John care? If so I guess we have to, but if not I think it's perfect to keep it.

It works as a symbol for a great time in the life of AG, quality submissions from a quality creator, and we have all grown to love it.

Sometimes a flag represents History more than the present.

matrixdiscoking
matrixdiscoking
130 posts
Nomad

i have to go with simple two swords crossed behind a sheild that we have seen in so many games we love. i think that is what a AG mascot should be...something we see in every game we play on the site

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

i have to go with simple two swords crossed behind a sheild that we have seen in so many games we love. i think that is what a AG mascot should be...something we see in every game we play on the site

I was going to say that a a representation of inanimate object (the Armorgames logo) couldn't be a mascot. But after a quick Google search, things can be mascots.

I'm all for the crossed swords and shield (or the new yellow shield with crown ad sword) being the mascot, if it isn't already. Like you said, It is in every game.
matrixdiscoking
matrixdiscoking
130 posts
Nomad

Yeah Reton8 gets me and if the mascot was sushi cat then sushi cat would be everywhere and the website would become sushicat.AG.com

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

i have to go with simple two swords crossed behind a sheild that we have seen in so many games we love. i think that is what a AG mascot should be

That is not a mascot, that is a symbol. An entirely different subject.

Yeah Reton8 gets me and if the mascot was sushi cat then sushi cat would be everywhere and the website would become sushicat.AG.com

No, Sushi Cat need not be everywhere. I was thinking that maybe Sushi Cat could be associated with presenting site updates, be used as a way for administrators to communicate with users in news and updates, ETC... If the mascot were everywhere, it wouldn't be Armor Games anymore.

We should have a ferret mascot!

All the talk of a ferret mascot isn't really a mascot for AG, but rather a mascot for Ferret, I don't feel that would be very beneficial for the community.
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

*Sigh* Here we go again...

That is not a mascot, that is a symbol. An entirely different subject.

From Wikipedia: Mascot
The term mascot â" defined as a term for any person, animal, or object thought to bring luck - colloquially (informally) includes anything used to represent a group with a common public identity, such as a school, professional sports team, society\\, military unit, or brand
name.

Team mascots may take the form of a logo, person, live animal, inanimate object, or a costumed character...

From Merriam-webster.com: Mascot
: a person, animal, or object adopted by a group as a symbolic figure especially to bring them good luck

From thefreedictionary.com: Mascot
A person, animal, or object believed to bring good luck, especially one kept as the symbol of an organization such as a sports team.

From Google (just search "mascot definiton&quot: Mascot
A person or thing that is supposed to bring good luck or that is used to symbolize a particular event or organization.

Am, I beating a dead horse here? Maybe that should be the mascot?
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/5996/dudleyf.png

Although, I almost made the same mistake. I get that most the time when referring to a mascot the only thing that usually comes to mind is some sort of animal (or a person dressed in an animal costume). And it's implied the that we are looking for a human/animal mascot.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

*Sigh* Here we go again...

Again? We've done this before?

Just to clarify, (since it has become apparent that some people do not know this already) this suggestion is not to find a person dressed up in an animal costume.

Okay, to sum up my thoughts about what and when the mascot would be used. Sushi Cat or whatever mascot is picked need not be plastered all over the whole site and everywhere Armor Games is on the internet, in person, ETC... So, it would be more of a part time mascot that you don't see all the time, yet is still associated with AG in general. (Something like the Blue Elephant.)

Am, I beating a dead horse here? Maybe that should be the mascot?

Do you have some problem with the suggestion? If you don't like it, just say so without the negative comments (A dead horse as the mascot? That's a rather cruel thing to say.)
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Maybe an armored ninja will be the new mascot. After all, there's an armatar contest for it.

I do like the prospect of something that's armored/has to do with armor or medieval times being the mascot, whether it's an armored ferret or the duo of swords crossed behind a shield or something else.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Again? We've done this before?

Yeah it's happening again boys! *cough* don't look back a few pages.

Do you have some problem with the suggestion?

No, I said, I said, "Am I beating a dead horse here." Because instead of giving just one definition of mascot, I gave four. Thus, after one you would have gotten the point, but with four iterations, I have "beaten a dead horse.".

There's no reason to take things quite literally at all, and it only distracts the point and makes you look kind of stupid. It's also quite off-topic.

Linguistic prescription vs linguistic description
also there is another linguistic debate (or it's the same one, I can't remember, but I had a clas that went over this) on whether language should change (as new words like "googled" enter the lexicon, or should remain relatively unchanged, for if the language changes too quickly, too many new terms will enter the lexicon making it difficult for people of the same language to understand each other.

"Those in favor of Dudley Dead Horse for Mascot say, 'aye'. Those opposed to Dudley Dead Horse for Mascot say, 'nay'."

"Dudley says, 'Neigh'."
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Nice ban hammer, though :b

Dudley says, "It's not a ban hammer, Its a beatin' hammer... neigh."

Dudley also says, "Character has multiple definitions, while the defining attributes of mascot (person or object) are given within the same definition rather than in two separate terms. *Puts on dead-horse-glasses* The first lends that in order to understand what character is one must choose a definition from a set of definitions, whilst the latter lends that in order to understand what a mascot is one can only choose from one definition. *takes dead-horse-glasses-off* There's a big difference, there's a big difference, there's a big difference, there's a big difference, neigh."

And I still say Dudley Dead Horse for Mascot. Also, sushi cat can ride on his back.
matrixdiscoking
matrixdiscoking
130 posts
Nomad

i say stick with the swords and shield

Showing 76-90 of 103