ForumsGamesPokemon X and Y

23 8834
dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

You saw the title. Nintendo has committed the inevitable act of creating Generation 6 of Pokemon...or at least they've started working on it and are going to be releasing it relatively soon. For those of you that haven't seen the news this Nintendo Direct video explains what's going on, along with a nice history of the previous games of the past for the first like 8 minutes.

So, what do you guys think? Does the new game look like it'll be a good new take on the games? Does it look too much like the old ones? Does it look not enough like the old ones? What are your opinions on generation 6 in general?

Personally, I like the 3D aspect of it, along with the improved graphics of the 3DS. It looks to me like they started designing some the characters around the newer graphics rather than creating the Pokemon and other features and later putting them into the game and creating the Black and White fiasco of (in my opinion) over-pixelization for how new the game is. I also like the X version legendary. Looks nice and normal-shaped, with a touch of the Pokemon fantasy style that Pokemon fans have grown to be unable to tear away from despite ice cream becoming Pokemon.

Anyway, enough of me ranting about where Pokemon has gone in the past, like I said before, what do you guys think?

• 23 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

well... i just hope its better then black and white (havnt played 2 yet) because it really felt like a mini pokemon game compared to all the others. and its also too bad they used X and Y instead of colours (or at least something more... eye catching?). i also think they should stop making new pokemon and just make new games with the pokemon that already exist

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

i also think they should stop making new pokemon and just make new games with the pokemon that already exist

Exactly what my friends and I have been saying. Rather than make the same thing again with over a hundred pokemon and then tweak the story, they should try something a little more adventurous, risky even. It could completely change the image of Pokemon and bring in some new fans other than the children of the older Pokemon fans.

However, I have high hopes for this, but not too extraordinarily high. I don't want to be completely crushed if it's a disappointment.

i just hope its better then black and white (havnt played 2 yet) because it really felt like a mini pokemon game compared to all the others

Yeah, I can get what you're saying there. I haven't even played through 2 entirely myself either, though what I have played makes me feel like they noticed the flaws in Black and White and attempted to revamp it to make them a little better. Though the new versions of the legendaries might have been a bit much.

As for these compared to Black and White (1), I'm fairly confident they'll be more than a mini pokemon game, though I have little to base that on other than hope.

Oh, which legendary do you prefer just from what they've shown of them?
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Being a Pokemon Fan since 1999, playing all Generations except DPP, I am ovulating for Pokemon X and Y despite being a guy.

Yeah, I can get what you're saying there. I haven't even played through 2 entirely myself either, though what I have played makes me feel like they noticed the flaws in Black and White and attempted to revamp it to make them a little better. Though the new versions of the legendaries might have been a bit much.

Well, what I think of BW2 is just like the Yellow/Crystal/Emeral/Platinum of the
series, nothing much is changed except for the story/catchable pokemon/ Items only. The only reason why I bought W2 is because thats the first pokemon game I ever had on a DS. (I played Black on an Emulator... )

When XY comes out, I will EV train the sh!t out of my pokemans. And I love that Yvetal. It looks like a bloody infernal dragon, which me gusta.

Also, I love the way Nintendo ran out of colours and minerals... And don't get me wrong, I look forward to Pokemon Alpha/Beta/Omega!

Anyways, take my spare weapons and ammunition, the genwunner horde is impending.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i like the x legendary better because it actually looks nice and not just like another dragon with some "bad ***" aspects. the other one is ok, i do really like its shape...

but honestly... now they decided to make more pokemon other then the uknown to look like letters... this really screams "desperate"

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Meh...most/all of my excitement is over how Black/White 2 aren't considered Gen 6 anymore.

Also..hopefully the new Pokemon are creative. I know there are those that would argue the first Gen's weren't creative..but there was a difference between the first Gens creativity and the later ones

Earlier Gens - Pokemon were based off of animals and plants (spare magnemite, voltorb, and geodude. Who were based off of electricity/magnets..pokeballs..and the Earth itself, respectively. These were all pretty clever, 2/3 being based on non-human creations and the other created as a way to trick people with picking up some items..you know what I'm talking about. You know..in Team Rocket's darn place)

Later Gens - had some Pokemon based off human-created objects. Ice cream and trash? Really? Did we, the human society in the Pokemon universe..get the collective idea to create trash cans and fill them with trash from that Pokemon? I think not

When XY comes out, I will EV train the sh!t out of my pokemans

Please tell me I'm not the only one that is annoyed with EV training? I get that it adds to the RPG element and makes training more intense..but it just makes the game so much more of a hassle. I remember in Gens 1-3..you got yourself the party you liked (keeping in mind that you need at least 1 or 2 pokemon for the HM's (I for one stayed away from "HM slaves&quot ) and trained them as you went along the game..then you got to the Elite 4 and could easily wipe them out with Pokemon at around level 45-50. Now..you go to them with Pokemon at that level and you might as well be facing Rayquaza with a party of 6 lvl 25 Beedrill

i also think they should stop making new pokemon and just make new games with the pokemon that already exist

1) Or at least work on the Gen 3 remakes (like the Gen 1 and Gen 2 remakes) or maybe just add a couple of new ones or have a lot of the older ones come back. In Gens 2 & 3 you saw a lot of the Pokemon from the previous Gen(s) and the new ones intermingled with them. The later gems it "Hey player!!! Look!!!! Look a new Pokemon!!! Look at it!! Oh hey look!! Another one!! Look at all these cool new Pokemon we made for you!!! Oh that old Pokemon? Ignore him he's weak! I mean come on! Look at this new one and how strong he looks!!!"
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

@Pangtongshu

No offence but, whenever I see a genwunner argue about the later generations, they always bring up Vanillish and Trubbish, which makes this argument the generic genwunner argument. Look, Pokemon do not really have to make sense and every generation indeed has its flaws.

And about the EV training part. Sure, in all generations, you can beat the entire game with the Pokemon you like! And that should be the idea. The reason why I EV train my Pokemon is not because I want to gain an edge over elite 4 but play competitively and I do not want to use the team that beat elite 4 competitively because of their screwed up EVs.

Even my team of fully EV trained Pokemon are losing to the Japanese Pokemon freaks out there. And imagine if I do not EV train my Pokemon...

Sides, the Battle tower/Battle Subway/Battle Frontier/Pokemon world tournament have Pokemon that are fully EV trained, including the fact that they would be the same level as your Pokemon. So, there is a point in EV training.

But of course, this is coming from a hardcore Pokemon player that has been catching Pokemon since Blue...

1) Or at least work on the Gen 3 remakes (like the Gen 1 and Gen 2 remakes) or maybe just add a couple of new ones or have a lot of the older ones come back. In Gens 2 & 3 you saw a lot of the Pokemon from the previous Gen(s) and the new ones intermingled with them. The later gems it "Hey player!!! Look!!!! Look a new Pokemon!!! Look at it!! Oh hey look!! Another one!! Look at all these cool new Pokemon we made for you!!! Oh that old Pokemon? Ignore him he's weak! I mean come on! Look at this new one and how strong he looks!!!"

What? This is statement is rather illogical... Many competitive players still use old generation Pokemon in their strategy. Old Pokemon like Politoed(II), Kindra(II), Dragonite(I), Salamence(III), Porygon2(II), Ninetales(I), Blaziken(III), Machamp(I) are widely used competitively. Even my team consist of old gems like Metagross(III) and Tyranitar(II)! Please... Do some research...
Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

I Haven't played any Pokemon games since ruby/sapphire/emerald, but that's mostly due to my lack of a DS. And playing on an emulator just isn't as appealing. I have been keeping up with Pokemon news a little, though.

A few things I wish were in this game:
- Please not another fire/fighting starter.
- Continuing with the starters, having the three develop psychic/dark/fighting types. 3 starters: fire/dark, water/psychic, grass/fighting. 2 triangles! (at least I think it works like that)
- Let us explore previous regions. That made silver/gold/crystal extra-awesome.
- An engaging story.
- Few legendary Pokemon (seriously, there were a lot added in the newest generation. I think 3-6 is a good amount.)

Anyways, my favorite legendary out of the two is no doubt X. Reindeer don't make me amazed.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

@Pangtongshu

*pangtongshu

No offence but, whenever I see a genwunner argue about the later generations, they always bring up Vanillish and Trubbish, which makes this argument the generic genwunner argument. Look, Pokemon do not really have to make sense and every generation indeed has its flaws.

1) I'm a gen 1-3 person...hence why I kept saying gen 1-3

2) There is a reason those 2 keep getting brought up. The ones I brought up (or..the ones people generally use as the earlier gens "flaws" due to their not being animals) I explained..they actually make sense and make sense for the idea of pre-civilized humans in the Pokemon world.

And about the EV training part. Sure, in all generations, you can beat the entire game with the Pokemon you like! And that should be the idea. The reason why I EV train my Pokemon is not because I want to gain an edge over elite 4 but play competitively and I do not want to use the team that beat elite 4 competitively because of their screwed up EVs.

I'm not hating on EV training..I understand how it adds more depth to the RPG aspect of Pokemon. But when I play (as well as many others)..I like to play casually, not competitively. With EV training and the large shift in focus that has been appearing for it in later games..that has become more difficult

Also..just because someone competes in those tournaments/battles doesn't make them more of a hardcore Pokemon player...it just makes that person a more competitive player

Many competitive players still use old generation Pokemon in their strategy. Old Pokemon like Politoed(II), Kindra(II), Dragonite(I), Salamence(III), Porygon2(II), Ninetales(I), Blaziken(III), Machamp(I) are widely used competitively. Even my team consist of old gems like Metagross(III) and Tyranitar(II)! Please... Do some research...

I didn't say people have stopped to use the older pokemon. I said that the games have begun to have more of a focus on their newer pokemon..instead of all of the pokemon in general. In the older gens..you saw plenty of new pokemon, yes..but you also saw plenty of older ones. Around gen 3..we saw a decrease in this..but they were still moderately prevalent. Then, they became hard-pressed to find

I also noticed the difference in our viewpoint of the game. You keep bringing up how people play competitively and the teams they use so while competing against each other. This is not what I am talking about..I am discussing the general gameplay
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

@pangtongshu

Sorry... I have a habit to capitalising names...

2) There is a reason those 2 keep getting brought up. The ones I brought up (or..the ones people generally use as the earlier gens "flaws" due to their not being animals) I explained..they actually make sense and make sense for the idea of pre-civilized humans in the Pokemon world.

Well, I still don't understand why you did not compare Eggxecute to the ice cream cone Pokemon as they are both foodstuff... (Eggxecute being eggs and Vannilish being an ice cream). Also, Grimer, being the sludgepile and Trubbish being the pollution abomination. And top that, you know what they call Krabby back in Gen 1 in japanese? Crab. Just Crab. (Ku re bu in katakana)

But still, I don't really understand about how the newer generations are keeping players away from old Pokemon... In Generation 5, the later stages of the game actually allows you to catch Pokemon from all generations. And being difficult to find is not really the issue here. (You can always check Bulbapedia...)

Heck, in BW2, you can catch Psyduck and Mareep very early! And heard of the Pokemon dream world? You can get all sorts of Pokemon from there and to top this, the dream world is more for casual people you know...

I also noticed the difference in our viewpoint of the game. You keep bringing up how people play competitively and the teams they use so while competing against each other. This is not what I am talking about..I am discussing the general gameplay

True enough brah. As good ol' prof Oak said, "For some people, POKEMON are pets. Others use them for fights. Myself. I study POKEMON as a profession."

Well said, true enough. After all, Pokemon is a very well developed social game for various people of different tastes. The game suits casual people like you very well, as well as people who like cute cuddly animals. But then, the game also does a very good job in entertaining hardcore competitive people like me. Its a well balanced game, I say. Also, I used to play Pokemon like you before but as I grew into Pokemon, just playing casually doesn't give me the satisfaction...

And how hardcore am I? Hardcore to the point whereby I breed the sh!t out of my Pokemon to get the perfect IV Pokemon and running through grass randomly to find shinies... I have even hardcore friends that trade EV trained and shiny Pokemon for money...

aaand...
Anyways, my favorite legendary out of the two is no doubt X. Reindeer don't make me amazed.

Reindeer is the X legendary... I think you meant the Y one, which is my favourite too...
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Well, I still don't understand why you did not compare Eggxecute to the ice cream cone Pokemon as they are both foodstuff... (Eggxecute being eggs and Vannilish being an ice cream). Also, Grimer, being the sludgepile and Trubbish being the pollution abomination. And top that, you know what they call Krabby back in Gen 1 in japanese? Crab. Just Crab. (Ku re bu in katakana)

Eggsecute - Eggs..not food related but egg related
Grimer - Pearl/Diamond (oh the irony..haha) explain it best - It was born when sludge in a dirty stream was exposed to the moon's X-rays. It appears among filth.
Crabby - Again, the idea of it deriving from animals, which pre-exist before humans became civilized

In Generation 5, the later stages of the game actually allows you to catch Pokemon from all generations.

That answers that one

And heard of the Pokemon dream world?

Again, the idea of casual gaming. For Dream World..it requires internet usage. I'd like to be able to catch my pokemon in game..or like the old times just hooking up a cable to a buddy's game

The game suits casual people like you very well,

And to my main topic..the game is starting to detract away from the casual gamers in Pokemon. Maybe a difficult setting? Idk..it's late haha

I have even hardcore friends that trade EV trained and shiny Pokemon for money...

I...I just don't know what to say right now..
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

Well, maybe I should drop the ice cream cone and rubbish bag topic. Maybe its up to gamefreak to give the logical reason for the designs.. By the way, I really think that the Japanese can think a better name for their Krabby instead of just Crab...

That answers that one

Hhhmm... True enough. However, I feel it would be better if gen 6 would be like BW2, allowing people to catch old Pokemon early. Sides, the trailer shows quite old Pokemon in battles, such as Kirlia, Psyduck and Magikarp.

And to my main topic..the game is starting to detract away from the casual gamers in Pokemon. Maybe a difficult setting? Idk..it's late haha

Not really... Its more like game freak wanted people to communicate, since the Internet is not really at its full potential during the times of Gen I-III, it is not really easy to hold competitive matches and the consoles had to be wired to one another in other to battle...

Hence, most of our battle mates in the past are usually close people like relatives and friends. But with Wi-fi battling now, people are being urged to play online competitively and trading becomes relatively easy. The difficulty hasn't changed that much... Only the mechanics.

I...I just don't know what to say right now..

Yes, and I stayed away from him....
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

wow sounds interesting. i actually got lucky enough to fight a pokemon with the pokerus and when i noticed that my entire team was already infected XD can i make good money out of pokerus infected pokemon? :3

ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

wow sounds interesting. i actually got lucky enough to fight a pokemon with the pokerus and when i noticed that my entire team was already infected XD can i make good money out of pokerus infected pokemon? :3

Erm... No. Pokerus is temporary, and what it actually does is it speeds up EV gain. It is better to spread the love instead online instead. Don't be like my money minded friend...
dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

- Continuing with the starters, having the three develop psychic/dark/fighting types. 3 starters: fire/dark, water/psychic, grass/fighting. 2 triangles! (at least I think it works like that)

Actually that would be a really cool thing to put in, two type triangles for the starters working in reverse giving more balanced fights against the rival. Though it would be cool, that might have to wait for gen 7 if ever since, just judging by appearances, the new starters don't look like future fire/dark, water/psychic, and grass/fighting to me. Maybe fire/dark, but I doubt it. Still, it would be cool.

About EV training, I never really got into that. I liked just catching the pokemon I wanted and going from there. If something came up I couldn't get passed, I wouldn't think "I should've EV trained.." I thought "Oo, a challenge? Time to grind!!!" I have debated doing it some time then going online, but I never had the time or drive to go through all the effort to perfect the EV pokemon ubers. Not worth it to me. I wouldn't be having fun anymore. Plus, I usually would rather just face my friends anyway, with my mass of transferred legendaries in whatever is the latest game.

Or at least work on the Gen 3 remakes

I would love gen 3 remakes. Unnecessary before, the 3DS could allow for enough change that it would be worth doing. Gen 3 was also my favorite, so I'd love to go through that again, especially seeing the change from the gen 2 remakes. Gen 3 is also my favorite because of the gen 1 remakes being part of it. Hopefully Gen 3 remakes make into Gen 6.

As for what the pokemon are based on. Eh. Doesn't bother me too much, plus I like being able to yell at my game "I'm going to EAT YOU" and not feel bad about it when saying it to Vanillish xD Just gives a little bit of humor to me when I see the ridiculous ones.
ChromeDeathRazor
ChromeDeathRazor
437 posts
Farmer

About EV training, I never really got into that. I liked just catching the pokemon I wanted and going from there. If something came up I couldn't get passed, I wouldn't think "I should've EV trained.." I thought "Oo, a challenge? Time to grind!!!" I have debated doing it some time then going online, but I never had the time or drive to go through all the effort to perfect the EV pokemon ubers. Not worth it to me. I wouldn't be having fun anymore. Plus, I usually would rather just face my friends anyway, with my mass of transferred legendaries in whatever is the latest game.

Well, good enough, supposing your friends are the kind who are not really into the EV-training and stuff. But however, from where I came from, all of my Pokemon friends are competitive players with high IV and max EV pokemon and as a result, I had to EV-train my Pokemon to be on par with them. From there onwards, our strategies and mind games would be set in motion.

However, most of my friends don't use legendaries because of the fact that they are too overpowered... I once tried to test my strength on a friend that used a team of legendaries and I only had strong overused Pokemon. I managed to kill 5 of his Pokemon before going down...

To me, EV training actually pays off, and it only takes me about 30mins - 1hour to fully EV train 1 pokemon for me...
Showing 1-15 of 23