ForumsForum Games

Riddles

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:35am

vungi

vungi

258 posts

well here is mine kinda like Matt ones

One prisoner goes in room and trun light on then ohter one come and trun it off
but if same prisoner goes into room again and he sees the light is on/off like he left it.

well if it's not right then i gonna wait for some clues

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:35am

thaboss

thaboss

1,669 posts

Something does not have to change every time. And warmth of the light bulb is not a variable. The prisoners aren't allowed to feel the bulb, just the switch. Thaboss misunderstood the last part of your first post. Each person does not have to leave a mark every time.

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:36am

leo99rules

leo99rules

2,844 posts

Ah, my mistake. I didn't read into it enough.

They can't choose to do nothing, because they would never know who had gone and when. They can't leave the lightbulb on permanently because the same would apply. If they alternate (one turns it on, one turns it off), they will lose the pattern the instant someone is used twice.

They must find a way to each leave an individual mark/clue, so that twenty marks will show that they have gone twenty times. If a prisoner is selected twice, he would do nothing because he has seen his mark.

OH! After reading this I nearly have it.

If one person is chooses to always turn the light on when he goes in, everytime he sees the light off he can add one to the number.

But how to tell other people to turn on the light, I don't know. And that would mean he had to get picked 99 times.

Better off just waiting 3 years and reporting the jail to the government for disrupting mental health.

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:37am

thaboss

thaboss

1,669 posts

Leo is correct with his idea of choosing one special person. But he's off with the method.

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:38am

thaboss

thaboss

1,669 posts

And there is no time limit. Another hint. This takes a LOOONG time.

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:39am

leo99rules

leo99rules

2,844 posts

Sorry, *chosen

It was killing me.

Also, is there an interaction with other prisoners?

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:40am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,016 posts

How could you possibly know that 19 people had gone ahead of you when the only clue you have is "on" and "off?" You get chosen, you get chosen again, someone else gets chosen, you get chosen again. You see "on" or "off." What possible pattern could exist?

You would...have to leave a clue...for yourself. Something specific would have to be different.

But it would only work if you got chosen again! The 19th person doesn't know that they are #19. If everyone went once, in a straight line, there is no possible way that #19 could show #20 that he was the last to go.

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:41am

thaboss

thaboss

1,669 posts

They are allowed to discuss their plan beforehand but that is all.No interaction after that.

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:42am

vungi

vungi

258 posts

Maybe that person can leave some sign on lever

Posted Jan 22, '13 at 10:42am

thaboss

thaboss

1,669 posts

The key is the special person. There's one special person, called the counter. He's the one who will eventually say that all prisoners have been in the room.

MattEmAngel, it's not that. It's this idea of the one counter.

Reply to Riddles

You must be logged in to post a reply!