ForumsForum GamesRiddles

368 78433
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

So, there was a thread on here a while back dedicated to riddles. Thaboss hasn't seen any new thread recently, so he's decided to start his own. Feel free to post and respond to any riddles.

Here's a classic one.

Bob hates his job. One day, while Bob is working on the 34th floor of an office building, he decides he's fed up with it. He rips open a window, and jumps through it. Although Bob is on the 34th floor, and there was nothing to stop, slow down, or cushion his fall, when he landed, he was perfectly fine. How?

• 368 Replies
vungi
vungi
259 posts
Blacksmith

Well there is two ways:
Lock was open or they used hairpin to open lock.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

Is there any evidence that these robbers didn't use a bolt cutter to break the lock?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Is this a riddle..or a "how did they do it?!" puzzle? haha

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

footsteps are everywhere.

This is what threw me off from the beginning. Do you mean footprints, or do you actually hear footsteps after you investigate the shed?

I don't think it matters.

Considering the question:

how did they get into the shed quickly and quitely?

It sounds like it's the only thing that really needs solving, and they could have broken into the shed quietly in any number of ways. Whether it's a bobby pin or a lock-picking kit or a bolt cutter, you aren't going to hear any of it if you're asleep.

I think either the question is too vague and needs rephrasing, or the riddle is very simple and the intended answer is that the robbers used the bobby pin to break into the shed.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

or the riddle is very simple and the intended answer is that the robbers used the bobby pin to break into the shed.

But then that wouldn't make it a riddle

Which leads me to the main part of the riddle I focused on..and the main part I believe everyone should focus on:

this is my own original riddle

Last time we had an "original riddle" (excluding MattEm's) it caused chaos
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

A proper riddle

I talk, but I do not speak my mind
I hear words, but I do not listen to thoughts
When I wake, all see me
When I sleep, all hear me
Many heads are on my shoulders
Many hands are at my feet
The strongest steel cannot break my visage
But the softest whisper can destroy me
The quietest whimper can be heard.

Talonwood
Talonwood
536 posts
Nomad

Lolwoa....

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

When I wake, all see me

I know the answer, from Google, but I don't get it. This riddle is technically a charade. But I have yet to find a good source to explain what a written charade is (as they say the clues to the answer are given syllable by syllable, but I don't see how). Also, I have yet to see a solid explaination of the answer.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

So...new riddle?

My riddle still hasn't been answered. Reton8 stated he found the answer..but never gave the answer

Hint: With the answer to the riddle..think about the actions that character performs and the job it must do..and how the riddle describes different moments of the job
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

An actor.

But how does that fit when I sleep all hear me? and these lines The strongest steel cannot break my visage

I must be missing something.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

He is reading a script..so not his own thoughts

Double meaning possibly. For one..goes with first line..with how it is a script. 2nd..the idea that thoughts in plays are often spoken aloud for the audience

When I wake, all see me
Being on stage

Hearing his thoughts/dreams (or, a more simple answer, his snoring..exaggerating it so audience can hear)

Many faced - different characters he portrays

Stage hands? This one I'm not as sure about

Staying in character (visage=facial expressions. So it is stating that nothing could prevent him from breaking his facial expressions)

2 possible meanings
1) The whisper is him breaking character or forgetting lines (this one is what I think it means)
2) Whispers, in plays, are usually used when someone is plotting something

Another 2 meaning
1) Breaking character again
2) In plays, quiet things are made loud so the audience can hear it (this is what I believe it means)

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Nice! I was really stumped, you picked a good riddle, because it actually took me a few tries on Google before even getting a solid answer and even then I wasn't sure. Also, thanks for the answers, It makes sense to me now and I couldn't find anything explaining it.

BitRifle
BitRifle
147 posts
Peasant

Since I love this thread, let me necrobump..
But I will leave a little thing here because people will get mad at me..
It's not that much fun as these people have..I made it..really bad..I think..

Almost everyone in my family has brown skin for his/her life.
Some of us had black or red for skin color,
but it becomes mostly brown as they become mature..
My friends are really big guys and everyone has dark brown or closer to dark brown.
But I'm small and a greenskin..
Most of the seniors I met had dark colors, like black, brown, or dark green.
They say that when they die, their skin would turn into desert sand(color), black, or white depends on the place where they die.
Can you tell who I am?
Oh, I have a lot of cousins also.
They care about their look so much and they are pretty most of time.....
They told me that their girlfriends are flying! Fly girls, literally!
But I know that they have same color skin as I do hahaha.
I just don't have a skill or an accesory for myself..

I think this will be deleted..people won't like it..ugh what a noob...has no creative mind..Btw, I don't speak English primarily, so you shall not question on my grammar. (Yes yes, you can..but really? Are you going to?)
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Nope there are definitely grammatical errors there.. xD Spelling grammar though, spot on. So yeah I questioned your grammar... WUT!?

Btw I don't know the solution cause I really don't understand it.

BitRifle
BitRifle
147 posts
Peasant

Yeah, learning languages is not that easy, I guess. Especially grammar, though I thought it wouldn't be that hard. Was it too twisted..or simply doesn't make sense. I tried my best to translate this into English. I like riddles and make them, although it doesn't seem that I'm capable of creating a riddle with foreign languages..ugh. If no one can understand, just give me an answer..whatever that you had in your mind.

Showing 346-360 of 368