ForumsWEPRAn Agnostic's Dilemma.

64 21389
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello all of you. Perhaps the first time I'm ever posting in this particular section of the forums. I'm only doing so because I needed some opinions on something.

As the thread's title say, I'm agnostic. I don't follow any religions, but can't disprove their existence - nor prove it. But I'm facing a dilemma of sorts - at least I think it's a dilemma :P

My family follows an Evangelic religion - as I'm not from the U.S, the kind of religion my family follows may differ from your types of religion; my family follows a religion which doesn't worship any figures or saints, only God and Jesus. My mom and my stepfather go to the church some times a week. I'm not being obligated to go there... yet.

My mom is looking forward to get me and my brother "baptized" in that religion. And that would make me obligated to go to church some times - even though I don't like to go there.

She says that she's asking us kindly and we have freedom to choose whether to accept it or not. But you know how moms are; When she asked us, she said we should think about it with all of our hearts, and remembered us about the many things she does when we ask her to - like giving rides or allowing trips and parties. I don't think she expects a no as an answer.

Even though I'm not old enough to have freedom of opinion, I've made my choice on religion; I'm agnostic and probably will not change. But I'd not like to be converted and forced to go to church, nor being taught things I don't agree with.

What should I do? Should I step forward and try to retain my choice or should I allow myself to be baptized and withstand things I'm not fond of simply to avoid family issues?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Obs: All I need is some opinions. I'm not looking forward to create a thread to serve as a religious war of sorts. So, stay focused and don't start a flame war here. I'd be much appreciated.

For the mods, I'd like to ask you to keep an eye on this thread. If it becomes against the forum rules, feel free to delete it - but, please, could you notify me on my profile if that happens? Thank you.

• 64 Replies
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Well, too late. Given her lately state - sleeping her days away - I didn't had enough time to take the lead in this matter. The baptism is tomorrow...

During these days, my stepfather has been doing everything on his hands to take her out of that depressive state, including trying to take her to church - which she wasn't wanting to attend. Today, the church has made her improve a lot. She seems to be getting better, not sleeping. But then she found out the baptism was tomorrow, and came to me to ask if I wanted to be baptized.

Well, one of the actions my stepfather also took was somehow to enforce the fact that me and my brother have freedom of religion, and should not be baptized in their religion against our will. That's probably why she came to me and asked, instead of just pushing me there. She was, after all, calm. She kindly asked us about it. It was better than expected.

Upon her question, I reminded to mention some points I've seen in opinions here. "That it would be carrying out a farce", as I didn't actually believed in most things they believe into, and that "maybe with time I would change my mind". And it worked: she kept our freedom of religion and I didn't lied to her nor her church.

But she was really wanting to baptize us, I assume. She tried to explain God's existence, but wasn't forcing us to believe. She says she'll give us time... but she'll be praying to God for us and praying that we can follow His way.

Even though I was afraid to get her more depressed and to stop believing, it didn't go as bad as I thought it would. I managed to keep my freedom of religion and she could still get better by attending her church - which I showed my respect for and that I'm actually happy that she attends it.

It's a win-win? Right?

So, what do you think about this outcome?

--------

Anyways... I guess that if this has been really, uh... avoided, I owe everyone that has commented on this thread a thank you. Honestly. I don't think I'd have things to say if it wasn't for you all. I'm far from good with speeches.

^_^

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

It's a win-win? Right?

It seems that way.

The baptism is tomorrow...

She says she'll give us time...

Was one day the time she's giving? Or is it now postponed until when/if ever you say "yes"?

but she'll be praying to God for us and praying that we can follow His way.

Now she'll feel she's got a purpose/motivation in 'saving' you and will likely be less depressed.
dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

Hey that's all good to hear. I'm glad this thread was able to help you, and I hope that you take full advantage of this opportunity for freedom that you got and deserved

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Was one day the time she's giving? Or is it now postponed until when/if ever you say "yes"?

The latter.

Now she'll feel she's got a purpose/motivation in 'saving' you and will likely be less depressed

I hope so! She has been pretty depressed lately, and that's awful, actually.

Hey that's all good to hear. I'm glad this thread was able to help you, and I hope that you take full advantage of this opportunity for freedom that you got and deserved

Thanks!
Showing 61-64 of 64