ForumsGamesConfusion about the Silent Hill series, what confuses you?

7 2965
nstevens
nstevens
3 posts
Nomad

Silent Hill in my opinion is the best series of games there is. Although it can be very confusing, especially for ones who've seen the films but never played any of the games. Honestly, I just want something interesting to talk about.

• 7 Replies
leo99rules
leo99rules
2,765 posts
Nomad

Silent hill (In my opinion) is a game where you can develop your own theory about what happens. This is why I don't really get confused by the game. The game's story is said to represent many things but not many people can really define what the games are about.

I have my own theory on the series and I'm sure it is different to yours. I think everyone has their own story.

nstevens
nstevens
3 posts
Nomad

That's pretty reasonable, I'll have to agree

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Although it can be very confusing, especially for ones who've seen the films but never played any of the games.

I personally was never lucky enough to own one of the games (too young to buy them when they were in stores) but I've watched gameplays, read about every plotline of each game, studied the whole idea of what makes the atmosphere and monsters so terrifying, and loved every bit of it.

The original Silent Hill should be used as an example of what horror games should be, the whole twisted image of everything and the fact that the game is not all run and gun, and involves puzzels that make you have to think and look around at your environment even if doing so makes you more on edge then you already are.

The other games did indeed have their things to them, like I liked how in Silent Hill: The Rooms, the main room that you start off using as your sanctuary and save point soon becomes something that is not safe either with ghosts draining you of health. But the monsters in those games aren't as well made or as memorable as in the original and second one.

The movie (I only watched the first one) completly was not worth watching, I felt sad that the director of the movie said he was going to stay true to the games "After attempting to gain the film rights to Silent Hill for five years, Gans sent a video interview to them explaining his plans for adapting Silent Hill and how important the games are to him." (source wikipedia)
But in the movie you can clearly see major differences between the Silent Hill world in the movie, and that in the games.

One thing that is completly different is the fact that Silent Hill is NOT a personalized experience in the film, as it was in the games, which is made very clear by several encounters with monsters made by the Mother and the Cop. I loved the whole idea that Silent Hill isn't actually a solid place, it's a horror that YOU are creating for yourself, you can't get hurt by something someone else sees, only what you are seeing. But in the movie that is not the case at all.
I also really hate the fact that in the Movie pyramid heads just start appearing.... WHY?
Yes pyramid head was a famous monster from Silent Hill 2 but that monster was specificly for that one main character James Sunderland, NOT just some monster that routinely hunts anyone that goes to Siilent Hill.
Same goes with the Bubble head nurses, which were also from Silent Hill 2 and were also JUST for that one main character since it was displaying the sexual interest of the main character but twisting it with a horrible looking face.

Also the movie takes away the idea that children can't be hurt by Silent Hill because of their innocence and instead puts the girl in quite dangerous situations.

I would say my favorite character in the Silent Hill series would be Robbie the Rabbit, which isn't really a monster or anything, but is just so out of the ordinary and quite creepy always. Even just looking into that pictures eyes long enough starts to creep me out.
http://mimg.ugo.com/201111/2/7/4/213472/cuts/robbie_480_poster.jpg
nstevens
nstevens
3 posts
Nomad

I really like the way you put that, you're right. The director ruined the movie, I still liked it but I was very disappointed. In the second film you can see that Bassett tried to fix some things that Gans ****ed up, but it does what you specifically don't like and adds pyramid head to the mix. However, it is better than the first film though. Silent hill 3 will always be my favorite of the series, and Robbie will always be my favorite icon, you're right about how creepy he is haha, I was always scared that he'd just up attack me or something freakier.

You should really play the games for yourself if you haven't yet already. I just bought the HD collection, I grew up on the series

Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

I found it great. I played what I now believe to be number 2 with dad and later mum. She thought it was great until the friggin' pyramid head came along. I thought it was great apart from the dang bug-things.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Confused about how the movie just tanked so badly...

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

Confused about how the movie just tanked so badly...

Because the movie didn't really pay respect to the Silent Hill world that was already created, and it completly changed some aspects of the world that made the world originaly so interesting.

Like for example that each character in the game had their own Silent Hil world and monsters, it wasn't a shared experience.
Showing 1-7 of 7