ForumsPopular MediaEvery show you know is a lie!

20 10919
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

It seems to be the case nowadays. It's come to the point where any show with the title "reality" is a downright fake. In this thread I will probably crush the entertainment and hopes of many so be ye forewarned.

This will be divided into 3 sections, fake shows, somewhat fake shows and real shows that people think are fake (probably not going to have a single show in it)

Fake shows
WWE wrestling which means that RAW too is fake. I'm sure this will surprise very few but it is fake (painfully obvious too) and they do try to make it looks real so it must be added.

Amish Mafia. Who actually believes this first? Somehow it's the second most watched program on cable TV but it is so very fake. What's fake about it? Know you nothing of the Amish?

Breaking Amish. Yes those people were Amish, but in reality they hadn't been Amish for more than enough time before the show started.

Storage Wars which I'm assuming also means Storage Wars Texas. It's a set up, they buy the storage units ahead of time (the show I believe) and plant interesting and valuable things in them to make the show more popular. In addition some of the auctions are set up so the producers plan who gets the locker ahead of time.

Property Wars. The camera crews (at least) look inside the houses ahead of time, that's all I know but I'm sure there's more fake than that.

Pawn Stars. They don't actually buy any of that, it's been said that you can go in there and not see a thing that they claim to buy. Also, someone went in their and asked and Rick said it was fake.

Bering Sea Gold. I'm not aware of how it's fake but I do know that it is fake.

Somewhat fake shows

Gold Rush Alaska. They make it look like the breakdowns are closer together than they actually are adding fake drama.

Real shows you probably thought were fake

Ditto.

• 20 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Forgot to mention that if you have a show that falls into any of these categories then feel free to name them.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Think about the name. Reality Show. Reality Show. I don't even think they have the pretence of showing genuine events, much rather just film comedians in situations that could be real, hence reality show.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Breaking Amish. Yes those people were Amish, but in reality they hadn't been Amish for more than enough time before the show started.

They are Amish. They just don't follow the Amish religion

It's like the whole "Jewish being both a religion and a race/group of people" argument
Carnage1995
Carnage1995
97 posts
Nomad

Who watches those show's anyways? They're stupid, they shouldn't be allowed on TV, it kills brain cells.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

That's why I prefer American Pickers. You can't fake the burried sticking-out-of-the-dirt rusty stuff they get. You can't fake the people they meet. You can't fake the mounds of crap on a property. Granted, some of the 'random' locations may have been selected in advance and the camera crew is often there already, some of the driving scenes and conversations/calls may be on a closed course or somewhat scripted, and only the interesting picks are shown. I think their Mercedes van was supplied by History Channel as advertisement, but their Chevy is the real deal. Here's what they did before the show (CAUTION: language) and it's not too different.

it's been said that you can go in there and not see a thing that they claim to buy.

Most of their sales are online and a lot of it tends to be gone by the time the episode airs. They often know collectors who are into certain items and ask them first. And they only have so much floor room. Also, that death clock thing that they bought in one of the early seasons has been for sale for a long time.

Also, someone went in their and asked and Rick said it was fake.

The majority of their banter is scripted, but the people with interesting items are real (ex: this guy).

WWE wrestling which means that RAW too is fake.

They really are strong and really throw each other around, but they're trained to distribute the forces involved so (usually) neither of them are seriously injured. If they wanted to break bones, they easily could. They're essentially muscular stunt performers.
JuicyFruits
JuicyFruits
171 posts
Nomad

All of those shows are just terrible and pretty boring. The Amish one's are the worst. I don't really know if they are real, but they're obviously not following Amish religion.

They're basically all the same, terrible and selling stuff for money (except Amish).

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Manly you don't watch these do you... I mean I went crazy when you showed me that weight watchers link a long time ago. But if you actually watch these... I'm going to go kill some people.

These shows are terrible and are obviously fake. Sometimes I think Honey Boo Boo Child, is fake. Still trying to figure that one out though.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

...I sent you a weight watchers link?

NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Think about the name. Reality Show. Reality Show.

The word reality should suggest a show that's real, or rather, one would think.

I didn't even know about Antique Archaeology. Antique Archaeology was much better than American Pickers, because it didn't feel like the two guys played everything up. Let's face it, they are HORRIBLE actors, which says a lot when it's a "reality" show.

I heard that Pawnstars often fakes many of their sales as well. I read something where they fixed an item up, and if you compared the previous item to the new item, you would see they were entirely different.

With the exception of wrestling, the problem I have with these shows is that they're on the Discovery, History, and Nat Geo channels. These are the LAST channels that should have these fake "reality" shows. I can understand the history channel pulling this stuff, because they deviated a long time ago, but I hate seeing the History Channel mark in the corner on a show that's been faked. I want these shows to remain as close to being factual as possible.
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

The word reality should suggest a show that's real, or rather, one would think.

I never got that impression, at all. I always thought they were called reality shows because they were about people in situations that might actually happen. It's pretty obvious they aren't "real"...

American Pickers

Ah, "The show about people with hoarding issues."
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

I always thought they were called reality shows because they were about people in situations that might actually happen.

Then pretty much any show where suspension of disbelief is required would be a reality show.

Anyway, I was introduced to Catfish a few weeks ago (just in time for that Manti Te'o scandal). They claim it's real, but to have so much melodrama and plot twists in every episode.... It's essentially a show about deception, but the show itself may be deceiving its viewers.

Oh, and it's boring either way. Not sure why my friends like watching it.
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

...I sent you a weight watchers link?

Yes it was in 2011, even dragon was crazy after that.

Not sure why my friends like watching it.

It's like what you said before. It's the melodrama and plot twists, these things make reality shows seem so real that it's fake.
megacooper
megacooper
191 posts
Peasant

I dont watch TV... I spend my day locked in my dark room trying to get 50k on Treadmillasaurus Rex and get all stars on KR... And looking on YouTube for such ways to do these things... And PewDiePie...

Randomness is the way forward

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Yes it was in 2011, even dragon was crazy after that.

Well if it was in 2011 then it must have been the 303 dragon. Anywho, could you refresh my memory on that one.....Oh yeah that's right, my mom must have copied and pasted that I and didn't copy and paste something else by accident.

Anyway, back onto the topic. One detail on why Gold Rush Alaska is somewhat fake is because they're all quite wealthy but are pretending to be completely broke.
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,775 posts
Chamberlain

Another thing I forgot. It wasn't Bering Sea Gold that was fake, it was Jungle Gold.

Showing 1-15 of 20