ForumsGamesOne Hundred Percent Complete and No Reward

11 3952
Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

Why do video games (flash, console, and PC) rarely ever reward you for 100 % completion? If users got to play a special level, earn new character, got to view a cool cut-scene/ video, or something like that, but usually nothing happens, you just see that it's 100 percent completed or you get a reward that wasn't worth the effort.

So, what are your thoughts? Are there any games that have given some extreme rewards for 100% completion? Why don't video game makers reward their dedicated players with something more special?

• 11 Replies
rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Look at it from the producers' side. Will they really make more of a profit by including these kinds of rewards for their players? Probably not. So why should they use additional resources, which means incurring additional costs, if they'll only be losing money by doing so? I'm sure there are a number of video game developers who are thoughtful enough to include Easter eggs or special rewards for doing certain things, but from an economical standpoint, there's really no need to do so. In fact, I think the achievement/trophy/what-have-you system works well enough for extending the life of a game without too much of a cost, allowing the perfectionists to work towards that ultimate sense of satisfaction in completing a game 100%.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Are there any games that have given some extreme rewards for 100% completion?

Kingdom Hearts always does. Depending on what level you beat it on, if you get enough stuff in the game you will get the secret video which is always a game that will come out in the future.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

Achievements are nice to motivate you to try something special you wouldn't normally have tried. Unlockable content is also quite nice if it's during the game, cuz else you don't really get to try it out unless you redo things over and over. But I usually don't need motivation to get a game to 100%; either I like the game so much I do it anyway, or I don't and then I'm not gonna waste my time with it. It's a sort of personal challenge, and I don't need the game to play Capt'n Obvious.

Secretmapper
Secretmapper
1,748 posts
Nomad

Actually something I'm considering in a future game I might make. Will players play the game knowing that there is no award?

Basically, the main game 'seams' into two paths, an a path chock full of puzzles, where the meat of the game is, or an effortless easy path.

The crux is ofcourse, that you unlock nothing on the hard part. So it's going to ask the question: Are you willing to enjoy the game knowing nothing is at the end? Or will you do random repetitive tasks knowing you'll get an award?

And with Armorgames' quest system now online...

Of course this is just an idea, I'm currently preparing for college so I might have no time.

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

@Secretmapper, that sounds really interesting. I had a similar idea about a game where certain tasks give you near immediate rewards, yet do other certain tasks seem to do nothing. But little does the player know that at the end of the game is a huge reward for the player who did, the seemingly meaningless tasks.

kirks011
kirks011
178 posts
Farmer

@Secretmapper, I agree with Reton, that sounds like it would be really cool! Especially if you recorded and posted some stats on how many people choose/finish each path. I would certainly play that, it sounds like it's trying to screw with peoples brains. I love it. Please find the time for that!

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

In one of GTA games, don't you get an in-game shirt for 100% completion? It says something like "I got 100%, and all I got was this shirt".

Reton8
Reton8
3,173 posts
King

"I got 100%, and all I got was this shirt"

Lol, if that's correct, it sums up my sediments exactly.
megacooper
megacooper
191 posts
Peasant

You do get a shirt in GTA for 100%
Just sayin'

Crickster
Crickster
1,795 posts
Blacksmith

i don't care with what happens if i get 100% or maybe i play the game for what i like in that game i'm playing

Crickster
Crickster
1,795 posts
Blacksmith

question: do you play games once you got 100%

Showing 1-11 of 11