ForumsWEPRNightclub fire in Brazil

13 4887
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello everyone.

This thread is to report a tragedy that has happened last night in southern Brazil.A fire in a nightclub in the small town of Santa Maria has made about 245 victims so far. The fire was caused by a pyrotechnics show used by a band - likely a shot flare - which hit the sound isolation. About 1500 people were in the club.

That's an unprecedented tragedy! The biggest tragedy to happen in Brazil!

That brings attention to the state of nightclubs: they usually have only a way out and no windows, which is a terrible place to be when there's a fire!

• 13 Replies
Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

The link is broken, and how can 1500 people be in a nightclub, in a small town?

Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Man, nightclub fires just keep on happening, don't they? I'm not sure if I'm correct but I think I remember there being at least two other cases of a major death toll thanks to a fire in a nightclub (not in Brazil, obviously). You'd think that people would learn after the first time, regardless of country, that constructing night clubs to be one-way in-and-out places was a terrible idea.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Sorry.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/27/world/americas/brazil-nightclub-fire/?hpt=hp_t1

Good question. I was thinking of it myself, but other reports said above 2000. I guess there was at least 400.

That happened in the city I live. I've seen the club in a normal day. It seems small from the outside.

It's sad. This is a city where every accident fights over an ambulance or a place in the hospital. It lacks services.

The saddest thing, though, is the identification method. They've brought the bodies for a gymnasium in front of my house. It's full.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I think every place like clubs, restaurants, shops, stadiums, school, court, fair (yes, even temporary fairs) etc. should be constructed in a way to prevent accidents during mass panic. Everywhere where you have a certain quanity of people amassed in a big crowd, there's a risk.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

I think I remember there being at least two other cases of a major death toll thanks to a fire in a nightclub (not in Brazil, obviously)

I've heard of a case in Rhode Island, with 90 victim or so.

You'd think that people would learn after the first time, regardless of country, that constructing night clubs to be one-way in-and-out places was a terrible idea.

Wished people would do so. Dang, if there was a revision in the way they make nightclubs, this could be avoided!

I think every place like clubs, restaurants, shops, stadiums, school, court, fair (yes, even temporary fairs) etc. should be constructed in a way to prevent accidents during mass panic. Everywhere where you have a certain quanity of people amassed in a big crowd, there's a risk.

I agree. Or else a party could easily turn into a trap.

And, dang, that club had some small doors. They had to breach walls to get inside!

My link has failed again.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Anyway, I'd like to take a moment to make clear that my condolences are very much with the families of the victims, and my anger very firmly pointed at the terrible way many nightclubs are built.

Having multiple, clearly signposted exits to any area with many people crammed into a small space should be common sense.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

I remember something that happened in Germany almost two years ago.. I'm surprised they even made a wiki article on what they call the Love Parade disaster.
Long story short, the parade was in a restricted area only accessible by one big ramp, that was soon so overcrowded with people that it ended in 21 deaths and several hundreds injured.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Having multiple, clearly signposted exits to any area with many people crammed into a small space should be common sense.

Indeed! I think everyone who owns a nightclub should be claustrophobic. That way, they'd think of many ways out.

And even worst: There was a single way out and some security guards barred the fleeing crowd because they hadn't paid the bill. A fire... well, during a fire, I think you should not ask people for money. Perhaps they hadn't seen the cloud of fires engulfing the dance hall.

Alas, they say there was no "Exit" signs above the doors. Nor sprinklers - which are rare here, trust me. So that place was the perfect trap.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Pressed Submit too early.

Anyway, I'd like to take a moment to make clear that my condolences are very much with the families of the victims, and my anger very firmly pointed at the terrible way many nightclubs are built.

Thank you for your kindness.

I remember something that happened in Germany almost two years ago.. I'm surprised they even made a wiki article on what they call the Love Parade disaster.
Long story short, the parade was in a restricted area only accessible by one big ramp, that was soon so overcrowded with people that it ended in 21 deaths and several hundreds injured.

Humans don't learn, do they? That was the same issue: one way out. At least there were less victims.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

New numbers have arrived:

232 deceased.
100+ injured

The hospitals are overwhelmed with victims; People have been taken to hospitals on cities 2h far;
The city gymnasium is full with bodies;
There was a shortage of coffins for the victims;
The president Dilma Rousseff is in town;
Biggest tragedy in the state.

SonOfVader
SonOfVader
110 posts
Blacksmith

It's always sad when crap like this goes down.

Sadly, it's not unprecedented, and it will happen again.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

What a disaster... Such a horrible occurrence.

This is like the 5th nightclub fire I've heard of that was caused by the pyrotechnics on the stage.... They really shouldn't let those things be used indoors.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

It's always sad when crap like this goes down.

So much...

Sadly, it's not unprecedented, and it will happen again.

Unfortunately, you're right. I'm even afraid this happens again here in Brazil, where laws can be laid off with minor consequences. See, this time the laws that have been broken included the lack of authorization of the nightclub to be working, the lack of care with the fire extinguishers and the fire exits.

This is like the 5th nightclub fire I've heard of that was caused by the pyrotechnics on the stage.... They really shouldn't let those things be used indoors.

I agree! Who in good mind would set up a flare so close to the ceiling?! Oh, okay that the sound insulation was flammable, but that only adds up a reason to avoid using flares indoors!

Alas, whose idea was that? Making a nightclub for 1000 people with a single 1,5 meters large door and stuff 1500 people there?

This awful combination of errors lead to the tragic fire.

An update on the numbers:
235 people deceased.
123 injured - 75 in critical state.
4 people has been arrested - 2 band members and 2 owners of the nightclub.

I just hope the people that have been sent to hospitals get better soon.
Showing 1-13 of 13