ForumsThe TavernPopular words and original meanings

11 2987
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

So I'm writing an article for my school newspaper about some of the popular lingo used right now. In this article I'm going to give some of the lingo words (maybe 4-5) and state what their definition has become..and what it actually is. So..I need some words I can use!

Example - Swag (don't have time to put definitions..so look em up yourself please =/)

• 11 Replies
Clancy12
Clancy12
6,400 posts
Lord

This is somewhat off topic, but "terrific" originally meant "something that causes terror".

megacooper
megacooper
191 posts
Peasant

Idiot~~~

In ancient greek or latin it was idiotus, which meant non-voter.

Randomness is the way forward

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I'm not talking about common words and what they used to mean..I'm talking about the popular lingo that seemingly pops out of nowhere and takes a word and gives it a new meaning that doesn't relate to its original meaning.

The three words I have now are Swag, Ratchet, and Icee..if that gives any help

goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Tweet, fresh, hip, sweet, sick, gnarly, sassy and tubular.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

Nothing really comes to mind, considering this 'lingo that pops out of nowhere' is just that. Never really words before, completely new.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Might strike a nerve with some people, but you can't please everyone.

Gay. It originally used to mean happy, but everyone here knows what it means now.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Most of the current curse words are different from their original meanings.
B****: origianally a mother canine
D***: to condemn someone to hell.

a few examples are above, but probably not school appropriate.
Swagger has been shortened to swag, (which you already have and means something that hangs (e.g. a lei))

gay has switched from happy to homosexual.

that's all I have right now.

~~~Darth Caedus

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

I've got my list now...just 5 because it is a short article

Swag (new..the shortened version of swagger. Original..ornamental plant that hangs)

Icee/icy (New..to be cool or fresh...I think. Original..either the drink or the adjective)

Ratchet (New..when someone is "gross", essentially. Original..a mechanical device)

Tweet (New..to post something on Twitter. Original..sound a bird makes)

# (oh yeah..a twist! New...called the hashtag symbol, due primarily to Twitter. Originally called the pound symbol)

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

So yeah..this thread is now completely open to any words that have had their primary meanings changed

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

# (oh yeah..a twist! New...called the hashtag symbol, due primarily to Twitter. Originally called the pound symbol)

It is also a common number symbol. Like #3.

But anyways...
#aznswag Cya
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Heh heh.... Queer. it used to mean strange, but now it me - wait it's still the same thing. Master Debater... I'm so tired. This'll probably be flagged. Lolli used to mean sucker now it means LOL-y. I need a nap. Be back later.... ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

Showing 1-11 of 11