ForumsThe TavernEducación General Para Sal

10 3017
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

The title is Spanish for general education for Sal, if that wasn't obvious. If it wasn't obvious, you just learned something today.

I will be graduating high school a year early, so this is my final semester before trekking off to college. I have nearly a quarter of the credits I'll need to graduate college with a major in CSE (Computer Science & Engineering) from out-of-school work, and I was planning on minoring in Web Design, Game Design, or Graphic Design. I am also planning on going back to college for an extra year (after graduating) to get credit in the Spanish language field, whether in Communication or maybe even Education.

Summary:
Major: CSE
Minor: Web, Game, or Graphic Design (I can minor in two fields)
Further work: Communication or Education in the Spanish language

I want to keep it constrained to those things because I don't have plans on going anywhere else work-related. I want to know your opinions concerning which field to minor in, whether or not to go back for Spanish, and the type of college I should look at. I don't care where the recommended colleges might be; I'm willing to travel, and it wouldn't hurt to have examples.

Oh, and any other general education tips are welcome.

• 10 Replies
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

FYI: The title was supposed to say Educación General Para Sal.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Where are you planning on going to college Sal?

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I don't have any colleges in mind, but the Cali Institute of Tech looks good.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Graduating early. I still don't really understand it. Leaving all your friends and stuff. Seems like it would not be fun.

Anyway, Daleks' tips for picking a college!

1) Price. Lots of schools look great. Then you look at your price tag and you feel your savings fall of the face of the Earth.

2) Major/Minor. Well obviously they have to have your major if you want to do there.

3) How good are they? Always important.

4) Where is Daleks' going? Glad you asked. Purdue. Come with.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Don't forget scholarships. But don't just look for those big ones..look for those small ones that everyone overlooks. I know I can get a solid few hundred bucks because I'm colourblind

4) Where is Daleks' going? Glad you asked. Purdue. Come with.

I shall find you

Better question: Where is pang going?
Answer: Eventually..Washington University. But for the first year or 2 of my college life I'll be goin to a college nearby Wash-U
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

colourblind

You are not British.
Answer: Eventually..Washington University. But for the first year or 2 of my college life I'll be goin to a college nearby Wash-U

So err what? What do you want to do? Wash-U is St. Louis right?
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

You are not British.

Have you not noticed I spell colour with a u yet?

So err what? What do you want to do? Wash-U is St. Louis right?

No clue on what I want to do haha my first year or 2 will be on trying to figure that out

And yes it is
KentyBK
KentyBK
566 posts
Nomad

Random advice would be not to minor in Game Design, because it's hardly an exact science. It's the kinda thing you'll only get a feel for if you design and make games yourself and not by visiting college courses.

Not to mention the other two choices have a lot more possible applications. And making yourself more versatile is a good idea, especially in a field like Computer Science, where you'll need to learn and keep up with new technology all the time.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

And yes it is

But I know the truth behind this!
general education for Sal

or for salt. And wouldnt "de" be more fitting?

I have no idea what I want to do in life, what I want to major in, what school I want to go to. Nothing. Keep in mind im slightly younger.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

I have no idea what I want to do in life

Start with what type of person you are: Do you like switching tasks often, or consistancy/repetition? Do you like being told exactly what to do and how to do it, or do you prefer a general idea and wing it? Individual or group responsibilities?

Then go with what things you like and are good with/at: Math? People? Science? Art? Business? Sports? Law?
Showing 1-10 of 10