ForumsThe TavernFor fun or competition?

9 1979
StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

In my time of being on AG I have really noticed that people really arent here for the fun of it. It is for the competition that is involved. People are going around blaming people because they have spammed, lied, have too many comments, merits, referrals, just dumb things like that. Now I have been blamed for being a spammer because I have almost 6,000 comments. I have told people that I am not a spammer and the only reason why I have almost 6,000 comments is because noone ever wants to go into the CR. I have asked people but they all say no im just gunna do this or that. Most of the time I still want to talk to them and the only way to do that is by commenting them. So what am I supposed to do? Just not talk to anyone? And also with that, As I went up the ranks people say things like ,"nice job" "congrats" "keep going!" and other comments like those. I am a polite kid so I do say my thanks to them and so there is another comment. Where I am getting with this is that I think that there are too many people worried about others and what they dont have that others do. So what do you think, is AG for fun as they set it up to be or is it a competition to see who can get the most points and who can be a snob and report people for having things that others have? (jealousy)

• 9 Replies
Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

Hey,i understand you.
Im here in AG to have fun like you (i guess),not for getting meaningless ranks and spamming...
Almost 65%(im just saying)of the people in AG are in for AP,AP,AP,SPAM.

StarScreamer
StarScreamer
608 posts
Shepherd

Well I am in it for fun. And for me going u and down in the ranks is fun. I enjoy the games and other things that are here. I will say that pretty much everyone (80%) of the members that actualy play AG are in it to get the highest rank possible.

I am telling ALL of you that in all reality, being #1 is more stressful than where some others are. You get so many SPAM messages that all they say are things like, "add me" "your #1" "your cool" "wow lots of points" and dumb things like that that have no point to them because they and you know that your not gunna add them or anything like that. I get sick of AG everyday because people just want to be freinds with me because im #1 and they want to go around saying, "Im freinds with the #1 guy on AG!!! Look on his freinds list!!!" I cant stand those people and have come really close to quitting. but I have just cooled down and asked those people to leave me alone.

Alguzara
Alguzara
519 posts
Nomad

Well i think i'll take this conversation to profile posts.
Sorry...
*Me leaves the topic...*

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

I'm glad you see the things as they are. When I first saw AG's updated site I was excited that they finally had user accounts/forums/etc. Of course, I then saw the points system.

Being an online, flash gaming site (or simple being a public site), AG attracts people who are less them mature. You must realize the vast majority of young people (AG's most prominent demographic, I assume) are just immature little kids. Not in physical age maybe, but their intellectual maturity. That said, this point system, which was most likely implemented as a fun feature, has devolved into a big game. As with any game people want to win it. So points have become synonymous with popularity. And, like all popularity contests, people are jealous/angry/hateful/etc. when they don't get their way or when someone is doing "better" than them. Believe me, I saw it coming.

But, when it boils down to it, what are you going to do? You could up and leave OR you can ride it out being happy that at least you see things for what they really are. Besides, where are you going to go? If you want to be part of an online community that has anything to do with games and isn't experiences similar problems then you are going to have a tough time, because in my experience every online gaming community has it faults.

As for me, I'm happy with AG as is. Is it perfect? No, far from it, but it is good enough for little ol' me.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

People get out of the site what they want to get. If someone wants to compete and get more points, that is what they will do. If they just want to have fun and interact with the site and users, that is what they will do. That is the beauty about an interactive site such as this. There are many options open, and you can choose to use which of them you want to.

As far as people saying you are spamming SS, just ignore them. You leave good comments, have many merits, don't leave short comments, leave good posts, etc. Being the number one ranked user on this site means that you are going to be monitored for SPAM more than other users. And the fact is, you don't SPAM. At least not that I have seen ;-) lol.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I agree with Carlie...

To start off with I was in it for the points, but now I spend way more time in the Forums.

I don't try for points now...

KingRYan

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

in the beginning, thats all u think to do

now, i feel bored and not even want points.
but don take them away from me : (

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Plokkey's post highlights the pitfalls of gaining AP for its own sake: there is no underlying motivation.

Starscreamer, you now understand a little bit about celebrity reality. Given the prestige, most people are not going to be seeing you for you, but you for your position. It takes a lot of character to weather this, and that's why, as you note in your other thread, a lot of high=ranked people seem to give up and quit AG.

This is not necessarily a bad thing. It's in fact a valuable lesson about how people behave, and for better or for worse, that's what you're working with.

KingofSleeping
KingofSleeping
423 posts
Nomad

I am here for the fun and I am not compettitive on websites but I would be if it was like a challenge our a race but I do that with strategy!

Showing 1-9 of 9