ForumsWEPRnot believing means send to hell?

154 53977
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

let us say there could be places like heaven and hell...

..what would happen with people who can not believe after they die? what happens with people who never had the chance to believe anything after they died? what happens with people who forgot that there is a god (altzheimers) or people who are mentally handicapped or people in a coma when they die?

my point is that believe can not be the only "thing" that decides wether they get into heaven or hell (if these places even exist).

just a thought i had today.

• 154 Replies
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

We're all in hell already, ergo your belief (or lack thereof) is meaningless, as is this line of discussion. XD

have you seen the movie constantine?

it could be possible that heaven and hell are on earth...maybe we are all in a dream and when that dreaming being wakes up then "our" universe will end...who knows?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

I don't want to know.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

A theory I had as a toddler, that what we perceive as reality is nothing more than a "shared dream", where laws of nature are made by conflicting with other dreams from different people, the more people agree on something, the more vivid and real it is, where less becomes less real, or even nonexistent. And since more and more people believe or are convinced that supernatural forces don't exist or have doubts about God, the more it's likely to become a reality/was a reality. The theory is filled with holes, but in my defense I was 5.

That does seem to be the way theists treat belief though.
Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

I say that you shouldn't be punished eternally for a non-eternal crime and that the only person who deserves this is God, for sending people to hell. But I don't believe in that rubbish anyway, so I'm fine. Incidentally, Allah is considerably more lenient. Muslim Hell is not a place of eternal torture. Everyone (even the Shaitan/Satan) will eventually be forgiven.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

A theory I had as a toddler, that what we perceive as reality is nothing more than a "shared dream", where laws of nature are made by conflicting with other dreams from different people, the more people agree on something, the more vivid and real it is, where less becomes less real, or even nonexistent. And since more and more people believe or are convinced that supernatural forces don't exist or have doubts about God, the more it's likely to become a reality/was a reality. The theory is filled with holes, but in my defense I was 5.

you had these thoughts while you where five years old? whoa...

we will know everything after we died. if there is a hell and a heaven, if this is only a dream or if there is nothing. but what if we reincarnate? would we know it then too?
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

we will know everything after we died. if there is a hell and a heaven, if this is only a dream or if there is nothing. but what if we reincarnate? would we know it then too?

We wouldn't know if there was nothing by dying as the capability of knowing wouldn't exist. We can however examine what it is we are dealing with right now. For us to be aware we would require some form of consciousness. For our consciousness to exist after our physical bodies die it would require duality to our nature. As far as we can determine no such duality exists. It's all the result of physical properties interacting with each other. The strongest evidence of this is how we can alter our consciousness by altering these physical interactions. If we have a dual nature it makes little sense that altering physical interactions would alter a consciousness that is part of something else.
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,711 posts
Blacksmith

dual nature...do you mean something like a soul? or what else do you mean?

Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

If I'm being honest, I don't actually belive anything. I think there isn't such a thing called "god". And if I don't belive, why should I care???

-Jeff

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

dual nature...do you mean something like a soul? or what else do you mean?

It's included. "In philosophy of mind, dualism is the assumption that mental phenomena are, in some respects, non-physical, or that the mind and body are not identical. Thus, it encompasses a set of views about the relationship between mind and matter, and is contrasted with other positions, such as physicalism, in the mindâ"body problem." -wiki

And if I don't belive, why should I care???

Because it's good to keep entertain different views and those who do believe often will impose those beliefs.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

And if I don't belive, why should I care???

good for you. i personally believe but not care lol. people really pay attention too much. its nice to have an argument but when its getting too intense its really all just pointless.
Jeff1999
Jeff1999
1,356 posts
Farmer

Not believing is very good for me. I don't see why people believe in these things. And some people said that the god loves people of how they are (if this god even exsists) if they do evil things they're being sent to hell, if you do good things you get sent to heaven. But people who don't believe at all, die as neutrals.

-Jeff

Nerdsoft
Nerdsoft
1,266 posts
Peasant

If God sends millions of people to hell, God deserves to go to hell. I prefer not believing full stop.
~~~Darth Cheney

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I prefer not believing full stop.

What actually exists or not isn't a matter of preference.
ChronicFrost
ChronicFrost
14 posts
Nomad

having mortal sins is what sends you to hell(unless you dont confess)

I was taught in Roman catholic faith that God judges everybody differently AND just because u have committed sins without repenting dosent mean you wont go to so called hell

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

^ a fun little way of saying you can get special treatment if you believe. I'm not impressed with the doctrine of Catholicism, but then again, I share that disappointment with all of Christianity.

-Blade

Showing 31-45 of 154