93 posts
Nomad

I would just like to know everyone thoughts on Mormonism

• 132 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

And what is your guys reasonings to think that the Mormon Church is so wrong. Please explain with out bias opinions.

It's groundless, like every other religion. Provide evidence for your claims.

Well you're assuming that all the other prophets where prophets. But i still think that all of those guys in the Bible are prophets.

No I'm not. I was just pointing out that internal logic would say Mormonism is incorrect since there were not supposed to be more prophets after Jesus.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

And what is your guys reasonings to think that the Mormon Church is so wrong. Please explain with out bias opinions.

No supporting evidence for any of the claims it makes.

Well you're assuming that all the other prophets where prophets. But i still think that all of those guys in the Bible are prophets.

I don't think any of them were prophets and I question whether some of them even existed.
Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

No I'm not. I was just pointing out that internal logic would say Mormonism is incorrect since there were not supposed to be more prophets after Jesus.

Well if you think about if you have throughly read your scriptures that God has changed his mind on something and making a new prophet is one of those things.

And I am surprised that no one has brought up polygamy yet.

Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

I don't think any of them were prophets and I question whether some of them even existed.

Well maybe your questions will be answered in heaven.

Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

It's groundless, like every other religion. Provide evidence for your claims

Well religion is kinda that way sometimes the way you find out that it is true is reading the scriptures and praying. And like I said 100,000,000 times felling the spirt which you guys think that is the same felling that you get from watching science Fiction shows.

And sorry for answering things on different posts.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Well if you think about if you have throughly read your scriptures that God has changed his mind on something and making a new prophet is one of those things.

Could you phrase that in the form of a coherent sentence? What I can make out seems to say, "It's in a book, so it must be true".

And like I said 100,000,000 times felling the spirt which you guys think that is the same felling that you get from watching science Fiction shows.

Why would that feeling exist in houses of false religions or other unholy things if God wants people to turn away from them?

No reason to. It's like if someone was claiming Vishnu was real and true and said "And I am surprised that no one has brought up bride burning yet." It's a social issue that's irrelevant to the broader current topic.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

God is fickle according to the Bible, I fully agree with that.

I could care less about polygamy. If people want to do it, good for them. Same thing goes for incest, though reproduction shouldn't occur due to the genetic issues.

Well religion is kinda that way sometimes the way you find out that it is true is reading the scriptures and praying.

Except you aren't finding out. You're just convincing yourself that that's the right one. There's no reason to follow one religion over another.

And like I said 100,000,000 times felling the spirt which you guys think that is the same felling that you get from watching science Fiction shows.

Uh, I'm not sure if you're implying we worship science or something, so I'll clarify.

When I watch or read good science fiction, it's because it's entertaining. Because the story is good, because it's imaginative and not ridiculous. Interesting, in one word.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

I really have no problem with polygamy so long as all parties are consenting.

Well maybe your questions will be answered in heaven.

Allow me to rephrase that, I highly doubt some of those prophets even existed.

Well religion is kinda that way sometimes the way you find out that it is true is reading the scriptures and praying.

That's no way to find out if something is true or not. The fact it provides no evidence indicates falsehood. Outside of religion the one's wanting you to take something extraordinary at face value are the con-artists looking to scam you. So that only puts religion on par with shisters.

And as I've said 100,000,000 times already your personal feelings means nothing in determining if this spirit is real or not.

It's like a little kid saying he feels that the boogeyman is hiding in his closet. Just because the kid feels that the boogeyman is there doesn't mean it is.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

So I could read the Silmarillion and pray to Illuvatar and find it is true? Or read the FSM evangelion and pray to the FSM and find that Pastafarianism is the only true religion and Bobby Henderson is a real prophet? Or read The Call of Cthulhu and find there is nothing I can do because some monster deity is not caring much about us? Despite me knowing it is all either fiction or satire? I would just need to have some kind of feeling (that can be reproduced manually by triggering certain areas in the human brain)?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Well one thing that changes it from many other churches is that it has a modern day prophet a thing that many other churches do not have.

Satanic cults have modern day prophets too aha.

Another thing that the mormon church has is more scriptures beside the Old Testament an the New Testament

More is not always better. Kind of a stupid and pointless criteria to judge a religion if you ask me.

I'm not a fan of Mormonism, it ranks near the bottom of my religion lists, and I'm not huge on those either. That said, keep your own queer ways to yourself, don't taint the secular system, and all will be well.

Like Harry Reid kind of Mormon. Not Romney kind of Mormon.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I was wondering when a thread like this would come up again. should've figured it was from the same one as before.

before I say my piece, I would like you to know that my family is rather uncommon. of the 6 members of my family, 2 are mormon (mother, 2nd sister), 2 are baptist (father, 1st sister) and 2 are atheist (me, and my brother). I have experienced mormonism for 17 years before I got smart.

I will always have a love-hate relationship with this religion, and for good reason. I hate almost everything the church stands for, it's justigfications for its dealings, its insane ideology, and its stance on gender roles. when I deconverted, I saw them for what they really were and it disgusted me. one of the things that shocked me the most was how the only reason they allowed black people into the priesthood was to prevent litigation upon them that would cut their tax-exempt status (they made said descision 4 days before the hearing was to happen)

Ironically, I love it because the active members of the church are some of the nicest people I've ever met. I will always have a place for them in my heart that I tend to not let people into.

@OP- let it be known that I am your worst enemy when it comes to this matter. nobody else has ever experienced this religion, so they don't know how powerful it is. I, however, do know. I have felt everything that you have, and was even one of their best youth until I realized just what your religion, or any religion for that matter, is: a way to brainwash people, and a powerful way to control the masses. I am your brother, but I will war with you forever.

-Blade

Blairlarson
Blairlarson
93 posts
Nomad

Blade

They do Let African Americans have the priesthood

Thanks for saying that the active members are the nicest people ever because I have met lots of people and some of the nicest people i have met are active members.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

They do Let African Americans have the priesthood

Yeah, he said that. Except he included the reason why. It wasn't because of tolerance but legal threat.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

Yeah, he said that. Except he included the reason why. It wasn't because of tolerance but legal threat.

that's about the jist of it. I say these things because you are most likely going to stay with your beliefs, and I want you to know that doubt (even on what you believe) is healthy, and should be practiced. to believe everything your religion says is to make you into what your religion wants you to be: a sheep, a child, or a saint. the name changes, but the objective is the same, take your freedom of thought away. pray all you want, but it won't change the truth of my words. your church is on a mission to "save" you from your free will, and the only way they can do this is to start as soon as possible, so to ensure a better supply of tools.

-Blade
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

So I could read the Silmarillion and pray to Illuvatar and find it is true? Or read the FSM evangelion and pray to the FSM and find that Pastafarianism is the only true religion and Bobby Henderson is a real prophet? Or read The Call of Cthulhu and find there is nothing I can do because some monster deity is not caring much about us? Despite me knowing it is all either fiction or satire? I would just need to have some kind of feeling (that can be reproduced manually by triggering certain areas in the human brain)?

J.R.R. Tolkein was a Catholic, and Illuvatar was based on God.

Cthulhu, don't narwhals stop him eating ye?

And Mr. Mormon (to lazy to copy your username, so I wrote this sentence instead.), where do you get the belief that you will become a god with your own universe when you go to Heaven, doesn't that contradict the "only one god" thing mentioned a few times in the Bible?

~~~Darth Caedus
Showing 16-30 of 132