ForumsWEPRI have an off-beat question

31 7174
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

When you think is it in your own voice, or is it not vocal to you?

I ask someone this yesterday. I told her that it is in my own voice, and I try to change the voices sometimes, but it doesn't work. She says she doesn't have a voice, she just thinks.

I just want some more answers from others here.

• 31 Replies
Skyla
Skyla
291 posts
Peasant

Fantastic question.

Okay. Well, a few months ago, I was reading about Islamic prayers, and it's stated on a reliable site (that provides information about Islam from a Muslim's point of view) that you can either say the Ayaat (Islamic verses) out loud, or just say it in your heart.

That quote from the site brought up the question "but then, is it heard by God? Is it a real voice?" Unfortunately, the site did not give much information about what Muslims had to say about this, but it was still very interesting.

Although, I did lose too much sleep thinking about that one.

You know, that really is amazing... you can say whatever you want, and it's in your own head - it can't be heard!

Your 'thinking voice' is definitely not your 'real voice.' To be honest, I don't believe in a 'thinking voice.' I think it's all in my head.

J4son
J4son
405 posts
Nomad

I was taught to read silently first *of course not instantly but it was the main method* so I don't ever imagine a voice, it just clicks in my head unless its using visuals, such as the post above, when you speak of religions, god, and temples I think of the muslim temples I've been too. But I don't mentally say it. Thats why fiction is one of my favorite genres.

Other than that I love sounds, period. As long as its melodious to my mood or something that could change it, aka no country to hard metal or vice versa. it needs a step down or up comparable by style development, such as country to jazz to rap. or whatever i start with from a neutral mood.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

There was actually controversy among educational psychologists as to whether 'subvocalisation' i.e. reading with your lips but not saying things allowed, should be encouraged or discouraged in class. Some believed that it detracted from concentration while others thought it made no difference.

Perhaps this was relevant to the thinking that elements of 'vocalisation' employed different pathways...at least something very basically taught in one's introduction to neurology, when learning the different roles of Wernicke's and Broca's areas in the cortex, for processing of words and intent to vocalisation respectively.

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

I hear my voice, but slightly higher. My real voice is so low, I don't think I would be able to handle it in my head.

Wittman
Wittman
318 posts
Nomad

When I hear my voice it is just inside my head, which makes it sound clearer and more high. But when I talk out through my mouth, I have trouble because I can't say it completely.

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
324 posts
Peasant

Well I know what you mean. Have you ever put on those i pod ear buds that isolate sound. You are unable to here your voice. Sometimes when I go through spells of not talking for a while (any-where from a few hours to a week or two) I am afraid to talk. It is sometimes scary to hear your own voice.

RockinN
RockinN
3 posts
Nomad

Thats kind of weird that skipper doesn't talk for a week but i think i think in my voice, or that of like a narrator in a movie.

stumpyyy
stumpyyy
173 posts
Nomad

I don't get what she is sayin, can somebody help me out here?

Lordofd511
Lordofd511
114 posts
Peasant

i hear my own voice, unless i try to hear a different one. but even then, it is either my voice changed in pitch/accent, or a voice i have heard before. i can't think in a completely original voice. o and this reminds me. DON'T THINK ABOUT WATERMELONS! you thought about watermelons, didn't you?

Lordofd511
Lordofd511
114 posts
Peasant

so strop, your a nuclear physicist, a medical profesional, and a moderator on the AG forums, but not a nurologist?

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

i don't hear a voice, sometimes i just think the words (like text)

i hear no voice yet someone is talking to me

Cortexal
Cortexal
80 posts
Nomad

Graham is right, There is no voice but I know something is talking to me.

homegrove
homegrove
325 posts
Peasant

Good question Asherlee, really something to think about. When I think, I hear the words I am thinking, but I do not really hear any noise or sound to the words... weird.

daswiftarrow
daswiftarrow
873 posts
Nomad

@skipper856568, i agree with you on being scared of your own voice, i have a low voice (well atleast i usaly speak fairly low tones) for my age/apperance, and don't talk all that much, and sometimes i will go for a while without talking and its like, omg wtf?

Grey
Grey
281 posts
Nomad

This really is a strange question, I haven't thought about it much.

Before I saw this thread, I think I was just "Thinking", but now I'm hearing my voice.

I think it's like how when you're not thinking about breathing you do it automatically, but when you're thinking about it you don't.

Showing 16-30 of 31