Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Why do people believe "Atheism" is a religion?

Posted Feb 21, '13 at 6:33pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,163 posts

couple clarifiers needed.

Kasic, you said athiests could be religious, how would this work, as I know of no religions without deities.

Also, pls explain why you are Athiests, since you belief there is no God and nothing is required to please him, why not just become Jack Chick Christian, then all you have to do is say you accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, and you will automatically go to Heaven.

Same amount of effort, and if they are right, in some way you might consider inconceivable ("I do not think that means what you think it means" please get the reference), you don't have to worry, you'll go to Heaven.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not my belief, but what it appears to be the belief of Jack Chick based on his ridiculous Tracts, which, included, among other things, that the Holocaust was a Catholic plot

Posted Feb 21, '13 at 6:39pm

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

Kasic, you said athiests could be religious, how would this work, as I know of no religions without deities.

Buddhism, Taoism, Jainism, Voodoo, Wicca, Druidism, and more immediately come to mind. None of those have gods.

Also, pls explain why you are Athiests, since you belief there is no God and nothing is required to please him

See, here's why I said this earlier.

"2) They don't "believe that God is not real." It's not about disbelieving in the Abrahamic god. It's about not having a belief for -any- gods. Atheists don't exist to personally go against Christianity. This with me or against me attitude that many Christians have is part of the problem."

We aren't atheists because don't believe in -your- god. We're atheists because we don't believe in -any- gods. It has nothing to do with your religion in particular.

Same amount of effort, and if they are right, in some way you might consider inconceivable ("I do not think that means what you think it means" please get the reference), you don't have to worry, you'll go to Heaven.

Let's not get into how Pascal's Wager is fallacious, yet again. It just is.

Posted Feb 21, '13 at 9:09pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,802 posts

Knight

Isn't the lack of belief agnosticism? PAP agnosticism?

not it's not, agnosticism/gnosticism deals with knowledge while atheism/theism deals with belief.

Do you know god exists? That is the question that puts you as an agnostic or gnostic.

Do you believe god exists? That is the question that puts you as an atheist or theist.

You can be an agnostic atheist (I don't know if any god exists, but I don't believe there is one),
gnostic atheist (I'm sure no god exists),
agnostic theist (I don't know if a god exists, but I believe there is one),
gnostic theist (I know god exists)

"In the popular sense, an agnostic is someone who neither believes nor disbelieves in the existence of a deity or deities...

This is the common misconception of agnosticism I was refer to earlier that likely spawned from the time when it was thought someone was unable to simply lack belief in a god.

Also, pls explain why you are Athiests, since you belief there is no God and nothing is required to please him, why not just become Jack Chick Christian, then all you have to do is say you accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, and you will automatically go to Heaven.

Atheist because I'm waiting for evidence of a god's existence before placing my bet on any specific religion. Even if one is revealed I may find myself horrified by that deity and not wish to follow him.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not my belief, but what it appears to be the belief of Jack Chick based on his ridiculous Tracts, which, included, among other things, that the Holocaust was a Catholic plot

Yes Chick Tracts are best went pointed and laughed at.

Buddhism, Taoism, Jainism, Voodoo, Wicca, Druidism, and more immediately come to mind. None of those have gods.

To be clear many of these can have gods but there are versions of them that don't.

Posted Feb 21, '13 at 10:35pm

a0714

a0714

1 post

I personaly am an atheist an its a very dilicate subject but there are some atheist who bilive that science is the awnser to all then there are others who belive that there just is no god period and thats the end of that road and finaly there are some who stay at a "nutural" sort of position that they belive that there is no god but they know that theres some weird things that science just cant explain

(sorry about all that just had to say it dont know why People refer to Atheism as a religion beacuse it is a belief that there is no god now (and heres the triky part) beacuse people belive that there is a god and then atheists belive there is not a god then people think that we belive in a non-existance of a god when the reality is its not a belief its a desision on a personal base level that there ither is or is not a soul one creator or in other words " a god" to me atheism is a yes or no desision not a belief but basicly put (just like Kasic) people do not know what atheism is.

Posted Feb 21, '13 at 11:02pm

NoNameC68

NoNameC68

5,266 posts

Knight

gnostic atheist (I'm sure no god exists),

I would like to touch up on gnostic theism.

A lot of people believe it's impossible to be an agnostic atheist because you can't really know if God's not real. I like what Penn Jillette said on the issue.

I'm paraphrasing, "I know there is no God just like how I know there isn't a dead prostitute in the trunk of my car."

When someone says, "I know there isn't a God", it's easy to think, "well you don't know that for sure." But when someone says, "I know there isn't a Santa Clause," nobody gives it a second thought.

Just throwing that in there for future reference.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 12:02am

Kasic

Kasic

5,746 posts

A lot of people believe it's impossible to be an agnostic atheist because you can't really know if God's not real. I like what Penn Jillette said on the issue.

Gnostic atheist*

Didn't want there to be any confusion caused by trying to clarify. Yay typos.

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 12:50am

Jacen96

Jacen96

3,163 posts

See, here's why I said this earlier.

"2) They don't "believe that God is not real." It's not about disbelieving in the Abrahamic god. It's about not having a belief for -any- gods. Atheists don't exist to personally go against Christianity. This with me or against me attitude that many Christians have is part of the problem."

We aren't atheists because don't believe in -your- god. We're atheists because we don't believe in -any- gods. It has nothing to do with your religion in particular.

I meant it as a whole, not two separate, out-of-context arguments.
I am serious, if you read Chick's tracts (which you should because they are hillarious), you can see that all you have to do is say you accept Jesus as Lord and Savior, nothing else required. So y not just say the words and be done with it.

(I was making fun of Jack T. Chick)

buddha is pretty darn close in some sects.

Taoism is a philosophy

Jainism has "illustrious beings"

Wicca is typically duotheistic, worshipping a god and goddess traditionally viewed as a mother goddess and horned god.
quoted wikipedia

Druids worship celtic gods.

Vodouists believe in a distant and unknowable creator god, Bondye.
Haitian Vodou on wikipedia.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 1:24am

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

9,936 posts

Taoism is a philosophy

From Wiki:
Taoism (modernly: Daoism) is a philosophical and religious tradition that emphasizes living in harmony with the Tao

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 1:50am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,802 posts

Knight

@Jacen96

As I tried to clarify with those religions, "To be clear many of these can have gods but there are versions of them that don't."

Posted Feb 22, '13 at 11:19pm

blk2860

blk2860

10,796 posts

A Gnostic Atheist would make know sense. Someone who knows there's a god but doesn't believe there is one?

Reply to Why do people believe "Atheism" is a religion?

You must be logged in to post a reply!