ForumsPopular MediaWho is Better?

25 12250
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

That is right folks it is time to pit your favorite celebrities against each other in an epic March Madness style tournament. We need 32 (at least unless we get 64) female celebrities to duke it out. So get your favorite people in there while you can!

For starters let's do a match up that is going on in real life for me?

Emma Watson vs Jennifer Lawrence!

All rounds are just based on attractiveness of the person.

Vote people!

• 25 Replies
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Emma Watson is my vote. Harry Potter is much better than Hunger Games. I loved how the Harry Potter books were long and gave you something to read nonstop.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Yeah uh no. We actually aren't going to have a tournament based on objectifying female celebrities and then ranking them based on how we reduce them to sexual objects. Thanks anyway. I just wanted to be clear so we can nip this right in the bud.

Really, I would stick to objecting to the content of the thread (which has been good so far, I'm proud of both Nilo and Ironblade) except that the OP specifically states the individuals in question are being valued solely for their physically attractiveness. As such, the entire premise is just not appropriate for these forums.

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Well it is just for this round I want to know. :P In the actually tournament it is based on everything. We can just go with based on everything now if you want though.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

It's funny because its not daleks's fault that they are objectified.
However, pointing out the fact that its on attractiveness alone can be good or bad. I mean, that could just mean BEWBS, but I know how daleks finds minds attractive so it's all in the eye of the beholder. Cut him some slack.
On topic.
I abstain, courteously. Emma Watson still reminds me of a child and I haven't seen enough Jennifer Lawrence movies to judge.

Squidbears
Squidbears
627 posts
Nomad

It's funny because its not daleks's fault that they are objectified.

It is absolutely his fault for trying to perpetuate it though, and as Xzeno said, it's just not appropriate.The title of the thread is "Who is Better?" and the OP is about physical attractiveness. that is explicitly stated.
All rounds are just based on attractiveness of the person.

This thread is a vehicle for objectification, and any quality that daleks may or may not have (finding brains attractive) does nothing to change this fact.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

A quick question...are we upset about the objectification of women..or just the objectification in general?

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

are we upset

*are y'all upset
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

@Xzeno
So long as it doesn't get crazily explicit and extremely specific (which may or may not happen), I don't see a problem. We've had threads related to sexual themes in the past that were fine, and this isn't even definitively sexual. Though, feel free to kick me if/when this thread gets insane.

Emma Waston. She seems like she'd be a lot nicer in real life (because I couldn't say anything else without contradicting myself, haha).

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

It is absolutely his fault for trying to perpetuate it though, and as Xzeno said, it's just not appropriate.The title of the thread is "Who is Better?" and the OP is about physical attractiveness. that is explicitly stated.

They have only themselves and the media to blame. If they wish to not be objectified then they can clean up their act so to speak. However, the media is more so to blame here.
And nowhere does it say physical attractiveness. Read the op, it says general attractiveness including brains, personality ex. Once again, it depends how you see it.
Do I think that daleks's thread is wrong? No. Did he make it the wrong way? Yes. Maybe including acting and talent to the mix would be better, Shovel.
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Maybe including acting and talent to the mix would be better, Shovel.

Well, that is what the actual tournament was going to be. Have talent and acting also thrown in there. I just was arguing with a friend on if Jen or Emma was hotter and wanted your guy's opinions. Also is anyone going to post celebrities for the thread or not?

Also, I could do a guy one too. Just most of us are guys...
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

The answer is Captain Crunch.

Also, I do not remember who Jennifer Lawrence is, and you got Hermione's name wrong.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I have not seen any Jennifer Lawrence or Emma Watson movies, much less know who they are. But I don't want to skip a vote so I'll just give Jen a vote because she has no votes so far.

How about Angelina Jolie? Or Scarlette Johanson(possibly spelled her last name wrong.)

daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

Jennifer Lawrence:
Best known for the Hunger Games. Also in Winter's Bone, X-men, Silver Linings Playbook
http://jennifer-lawrence.com/pictures/albums/pics/articles-about-jennifer-lawrence/2011-09%20Total%20Film%20Magazine/normal_Jennifer_Lawrence_article_in_Total_Film_Magazine_01.jpg

Emma Watson:
Best known for Harry Potter. Also in Perks of Being a Wallflower. Sorry, don't know anymore
http://www.lifestylebay.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Emma-watson-hot-photoshoot-for-Live-Magazine-3.jpg

Squidbears
Squidbears
627 posts
Nomad

They have only themselves and the media to blame. If they wish to not be objectified then they can clean up their act so to speak.

This is utterly preposterous. I suppose it is also a woman's fault if she gets sexually harassed too? The blame for objectification lies in the hands of the objectifier.

it says general attractiveness

This makes it no better. Judging "who is better" based on attractiveness, physical or otherwise, is never appropriate. As I said before, this thread is a vehicle for objectification.

Do I think that daleks's thread is wrong? No.

In the way it was expressed in the OP, it most certainly is wrong.

I just was arguing with a friend on if Jen or Emma was hotter and wanted your guy's opinions.

Do you not see that this is the problem?
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I've haven't seen any of their movies. But same vote as before because I've read the Hunger Games but not the Harry Potter books.

Showing 1-15 of 25