ForumsWEPRWill Christianity Die Out?

213 81899
zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

So I was thinking a few day ago about all the religions that died out because they worshiped the sun, and I'm curious if you think Christianity will do the same due to its outdated beliefs (well to be exact Jesus is the sun, and Christianity also has roots in astronomy but whatever).

• 213 Replies
pasanius
pasanius
4 posts
Nomad

That is a very interesting topic, me being roman catholic would not want that to happen, I agree with MageGrayWolf, maybe in 100-200 years, but definitely not the near future

thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

I have serious problems with those who say that all of Christianity is just people worshiping the Sun or whatnot. I can't speak for anyone but Catholics but Catholocism has been on the forefront of many of histories greatest scientific advances and discoveries. Nicolaus Copernicus was a Catholic Canon. Please do your research before just putting out these arguments. In relation to the original question, of course not. Many religions have died off before many will die off in the future, but Catholocism is the only one to remain this constant in it's beliefs and it is attracting more every year. this Easter 250,000 people will be Baptized into to Catholic Church.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

but Catholocism is the only one to remain this constant in it's beliefs and it is attracting more every year

Decline of American Catholicism

Decline of UK Catholicism

Decline of Catholicism (presumably in U.S.)

Decline of Mexican Catholicism

Catholicism decline
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

Interesting. After a quick glance at "Decline of UK Catholicism" I saw that there was a failure to teach the authentic Catholic Faith in Catholic Schools. I strongly agree. I used to attend one and I was sent to the pricipal's office a fair bit for complaining that the religious education program wasn't actually doing anything. In response I said the word "beliefs" not "Mass attendance". Most other religions have contradicted themselves (i.e. Mormonism). Catholicism hasn't.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Most other religions have contradicted themselves (i.e. Mormonism). Catholicism hasn't.

I'm too lazy to look/think of one off the top of my head, but I'm sure it has numerous times.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Catholocism has been on the forefront of many of histories greatest scientific advances and discoveries. Nicolaus Copernicus was a Catholic Canon.

It did quite a bit of suppressing scientific advancement. Just because there were people who held to that particular religion (which pretty much everyone did in those regions of the world) doesn't mean squat. No more than Richard Dawkins being an atheist means we can credit atheism with his contributions to science.

but Catholocism is the only one to remain this constant in it's beliefs and it is attracting more every year.

It has remained the same like how Catholics still believe the world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, slavery is acceptable, rock music is sinful, etc. etc. etc. It's even quite possible that the Abrahamic religions came from a polytheism. So clearly no change at all.

Please actually look into the history of your own religion. And I mean the actual history not what you get in Sunday church.

Most other religions have contradicted themselves (i.e. Mormonism). Catholicism hasn't.

Yep no contradictions...

A List of Biblical Contradictions
Bible Contradictions
Contradictions in the Bible
Biblical Contradictions
1001 CONTRADICTIONS & DISCREPANCIES in the CHRISTIAN BIBLES
Quiz Show (Bible Contradictions)

...non at all
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

It has remained the same like how Catholics still believe the world is flat, the sun revolves around the earth, slavery is acceptable, rock music is sinful, etc. etc. etc.

Ok, look nobody believes the Earth is flat. Please stop with these stupid generalizations.I would like to rephrase, the Catholic Church has remained constant in it's teachings. Look at someplace besides the "Secular Web", perhaps the Catechism of the Catholic Church, for the Church's teachings.Most of those "contradictions" are taken way out of context and aren't actually related.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Ok, look nobody believes the Earth is flat

Anymore.

the Catholic Church has remained constant in it's teachings.

So you're learning about Geocentrism I see.

Everything changes over time. Making the blanket claim that your faith is the one and only that hasn't is simply ignorant.
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

Everything changes over time. Making the blanket claim that your faith is the one and only that hasn't is simply ignorant.

Never said it was the only one.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Ok, look nobody believes the Earth is flat. Please stop with these stupid generalizations.I would like to rephrase, the Catholic Church has remained constant in it's teachings.

1. Yes religion did believe the Earth was flat, that's not a generalization.
2. Each of those things I mentioned were taught by the church (with maybe the exception to the polytheism since the church didn't exist at that point.)
3. http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Most of those "contradictions" are taken way out of context and aren't actually related.

Most? So you do agree that some are related and do contradict one another? Besides I get this impression from your statement. Context!!!!!!

Though to get things a bit more on track these points of how Christianity has changed do reflect that it will likely change in the future. My bet will be the next big 180 the church makes will be on homosexuality.
thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

I of course did mean that nobody who has ever done anything like travel, research, or think rationally believes that the Earth is flat. It is pretty obviously a sphere.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

For clarity, which type of Catholocism are you referring to? Roman Catholic Church, Eastern/Oriental Orthodox, Old Catholic/Angelican/Lutheran, Evangelicals?

thugtastic
thugtastic
162 posts
Peasant

Ah, I am a Roman Catholic.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

Never said it was the only one.

From your first post on this thread, on page 2.

"Many religions have died off before many will die off in the future, but Catholocism is the only one to remain this constant in it's beliefs and it is attracting more every year."

So uh...yes you did.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I of course did mean that nobody who has ever done anything like travel, research, or think rationally believes that the Earth is flat. It is pretty obviously a sphere.

look man, your appologeticism isn't getting you anywhere. before someone proved them wrong, the catholic church believed:
1.earth was flat
2.earth center of universe
3.god causes lightning
and much more.

the fact of the matter is that unless the churches keep on changing their interpretations to become much more liberal, then they will eventually lose power. however, the churches have been doing this for years, so I don't see them stopping any time soon.

-Blade
Showing 16-30 of 213