ForumsWEPRWill Christianity Die Out?

213 81904
zeus999
zeus999
31 posts
Shepherd

So I was thinking a few day ago about all the religions that died out because they worshiped the sun, and I'm curious if you think Christianity will do the same due to its outdated beliefs (well to be exact Jesus is the sun, and Christianity also has roots in astronomy but whatever).

• 213 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

There is a stronger chance Catholicism will fall before Christianity. Christianity is very powerful.

Catholicism is the biggest denomination of christianity -.- and if you saw the posts and links above, maybe you wouldn't say that it's still so powerful.
Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

If you are a True Believer, there are several verses that God has provided that reassures his followers that the truth will be preserved. *Here's an example*

Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Matthew 24:35

If you think that Christianity is a joke, and that people who worship Christ are delusional (You as an individual are entitled to your own opinion), then scoff at the whole thing. It won't be dying out in your lifetime, not with (about) 33% of people believing in it. It has survived and thrived for over 2000 years, and before that, Judaism for another 4-6000 years (an estimation).
But, you know, it makes you think. There have been plenty of people who have tried to start a religion by glorifying themselves as almighty. None of them have really excelled. So what makes the story of Christ different? Are really that many people ignorant? To assume so would be stubborn and ignorant itself.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Perhaps it might be more reasonable to say that it will die out in certain countries/regions, or at least become more feeble. France is a prime example and target for instance. The Scandinavian countries maybe.

It's entrenching itself even more strongly in the Latin American and African countries sadly.

Erabor
Erabor
274 posts
Nomad

Perhaps it might be more reasonable to say that it will die out in certain countries/regions, or at least become more feeble. France is a prime example and target for instance. The Scandinavian countries maybe.

Yeah, I can see where you are going with that.
It's entrenching itself even more strongly in the Latin American and African countries sadly.

Wait, what's sad about that.
jes' curious.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Wait, what's sad about that.
jes' curious.

Because it inculcates multiple erroneous beliefs that leads to unnecessary death, like the condom dilemma for Christians. It increases the spread of AIDS. It leads to the poor donating their money to the Church regularly when they do not have enough. It leads to the denying of abortions to women who need it. And these two areas are amongst the poorest, most violent in the world.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

But, you know, it makes you think. There have been plenty of people who have tried to start a religion by glorifying themselves as almighty. None of them have really excelled.

Scientology and Mormonism doe
jeray2000
jeray2000
435 posts
Peasant

What is the time frame for this? Because given enough time, even hundreds of thousands of years, it would almost certainly die out and be replaced by another religion.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

But, you know, it makes you think. There have been plenty of people who have tried to start a religion by glorifying themselves as almighty. None of them have really excelled. So what makes the story of Christ different? Are really that many people ignorant? To assume so would be stubborn and ignorant itself.

To be honest, Christianity was very repressive towards any attempts of individuals glorifying themselves as a deity and promoting their own teachings. And thanks to historical events, Christianity was spread fast throughout Europe, which made it even harder for any wanna-be divine incarnation to gain sufficient followers.
Sure the Romans were also repressive towards early christians, but obviously not in such an extent as Christianity towards other cults.

While I am not saying that "that many people are ignorant", I do think that that many people can indeed be wrong; the success of Christianity is due to historical events, to a big part, not to the veracity of its teachings. The number of followers, or the span of time it exists and will exist until it dies out, constitutes no evidence.
Another example is geocentrism; the belief that the celestial bodies orbit around Earth is older than Christianity and has existed for almost as long; yet it has been shown to be wrong. It died out in the end. So will Christianity.

This is just my opinion of course, without wanting to offend anyone's beliefs.

What is the time frame for this? Because given enough time, even hundreds of thousands of years, it would almost certainly die out and be replaced by another religion.

Likely less. Human civilisations have not existed even remotely as long as a few hundred thousand years; even though with globalisation things changed a bit, I find it unlikely that one idea can outlive previous ideas for so long.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

If you are a True Believer, there are several verses that God has provided that reassures his followers that the truth will be preserved.

The Bible has not been confirmed to be the truth and in contrary much of it has been demonstrated to be false.

But, you know, it makes you think. There have been plenty of people who have tried to start a religion by glorifying themselves as almighty. None of them have really excelled. So what makes the story of Christ different? Are really that many people ignorant?

There are many religions out there that are excelling. We even have modern examples of how a religion can form without a real person at it's focal point.
Origin of Faith - John Frum vs Jesus 1/2
Origin of Faith - John Frum vs Jesus 2/2
Pegasus16
Pegasus16
48 posts
Nomad

Just gonna jump in real quick here.
I believe Christianity will stick around. As many times as people and societies have tried to eradicate the Bible and Christians, it has always managed to survive.Even the Jews as a people group have survived, which is amazing considering they lost their country and survive the mass genocide by Hitler in WW2.
Voltaire even predicted the death of Christianity, and yet still it lives on after his death. And now Bill Nye, on of my favorite scientists as a child, has begun to insult Christianity and say it is a massive hindrance to our growing society and that it will die out. WiIl he be correct? or like Voltaire will he die as Christianity either continues to live on, or is ended by the 2nd coming of Christ. Tell me what you think...

Pegasus16
Pegasus16
48 posts
Nomad

Oh and by the way.... I'm cool with getting criticized, I've noticed the wolf pack of atheists on here is good at jumping on anyone not of their beliefs.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

Tell me what you think...

I believe my post right before yours and Mages sort of addresses your points, at least partially.

But in order to address one point in specific, did Voltaire mention 'when' he predicted christianity to die? That'd be sort of an important detail to your argument.

I've noticed the wolf pack of atheists on here is good at jumping on anyone not of their beliefs.

If that's what you call asking questions, challenging opinions and poking at incoherent or baseless claims, be my guest. Except for the 'belief' part, which is sort of wrong. But I don't even know why I react to this cute but blatant provocation...
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Voltaire even predicted the death of Christianity

Could you please provide a reliable source for this? I'm not finding anything other than religious sites that lack sources, and that peoples' attempts to research the quote came up dry.

did Voltaire mention 'when' he predicted christianity to die?

Most forms of the quote say he said 100 years after his death, the bible would be forgotten or that there wouldn't be more of them. The story goes on to say that a Bible Society bought the rights to his property and bibles were printed in his house (although he had residences in a few nations and they're usually not specific to a certain one) with his own printers after his death.

Source against it (see p. 14).
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

WiIl he be correct? or like Voltaire will he die as Christianity either continues to live on, or is ended by the 2nd coming of Christ. Tell me what you think...

I believe I've already offered my views as to what will happen to Christianity. If you don't feel like reading through i will be happy to repost it for you.

One challenge that religion faces today that it didn't have to contend with in the past is the amount and swiftness that information can be shared. Before someone could tell you something and you either excepted it or spent hours at the library pouring over books. Today you can instantly fact check a claim. This makes it far harder to draw in new crowds to concepts with baseless claims.

Oh and by the way.... I'm cool with getting criticized, I've noticed the wolf pack of atheists on here is good at jumping on anyone not of their beliefs.

Please feel free to criticize and try to poke holes in any of my claims as well. Don't see it as a bad thing, see it as a means of improving your views.
mbbs112
mbbs112
198 posts
Peasant

Guys Every Religion is going to die out,In the Holy Quran it is said that Islam will die out 1 day and when it does than Judgement Day will Happen and it is said in the Bible as well.(Except the Judgement day part don't know about that)

Showing 106-120 of 213