ForumsThe TavernWhat was the stupidest thing you used to believe as a kid?

89 19703
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

This conversation always comes up some time and mostly I find people have hilarious answers.

i personally used to believe that the ice cream van played really sad music because they were out of ice cream. I always wondered why I never saw them when the music wasn't playing...

So, what was the stupidest thing you used to believe. Don't be shy, only the internet will know.

• 89 Replies
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

That's amazing megalpod.

So was this ad, which your statement reminded me of. It was apparently banned in some places, for reasons beyond my comprehension, but it was aired where I lived when it came out, so I'm posting it here.

light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

why did you post that, I am scarred nao.

._.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

That garbage trucks were mobile incinerators and burned garbage on the spot.

Trash day used to be a scary day...

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

The stupidest thing I used to believe was that adults were more intelligent than the children I went to school with.

They only knew a few more words, as it turns out.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,251 posts
Regent

So was this ad, which your statement reminded me of.

Hehe. All ads should be like that^^

Once, while playing with a dandelion, I accidentally breathed in a seed and started wondering if now a flower would grow out of my lungs. Probably also the moment when I first asked myself what lungs actually are like.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I'd probably have to say God.

I used to go to church and stuff and I used to believe he existed. Ha.

Anyways something else would probably be... Santa, and I have no idea what else. I never believed in ghosts or monsters as a kid or any of that nonsense.

I seriously don't remember anything else xD

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Please read my post on Page 2 (near the bottom).

But I have nothing to do with that thread, and I'm not trying to branch out, I'm just saying the first thing that came to mind. xD In my opinion it was the ''stupidest'' thing I used to believe in. Let's just leave it at that.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

I guess you could say I used to believe people were reasonable, then I took an arrow to the knee.

(click the links)

~~~Darth Caedus

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

They only knew a few more words, as it turns out.

And sometimes less!

then I took an arrow to the knee.

Sometimes all you need is a good FUS RO DAH to blow all your problems away...

I think the stupidest thing a lot of you may still believe but haven't yet found out is really stupid, is that there's a clear and defined rite of passage to growing up. There is not. Getting drunk does not make you grown up. Getting laid does not make you grown up. Getting buff or losing your puppy fat or whatever does not make you grown up. Discovering philosophy and having long coffee house discussions on the nature of everything does not make you grown up. Things like buying a car, buying a house with your own money and paying off a mortgage, and holding down a steady job, getting married, having kids are much larger milestones with sustained ramifications but not everybody has to be grown up to travel that path, and not everybody grown up travels that path. And the process of those milestones of our lives just as much affect how we "grow up" as they are markers of them. I thought I had it worked out each year through when I was seventeen to when I was twenty three and each year I would have this great epiphany and think "wow, I just spent the last year being a chump, well never again". Nah man, but just how you figure out your place in this world is up to you, and takes time.
Skulltivator
Skulltivator
630 posts
Nomad

I used to think my mother was older than my father because she sat up straight when she ate and my father didn't. He's a few years older than she is.

Terry_Logic
Terry_Logic
4,484 posts
Jester

I came from a fairly religious background as a child, at least enough to know a fair amount about the Bible at a very young age. When I was maybe 4 or 5, I came to the conclusion that the sun was Jesus. Since Jesus, according to the bible, is the "son" of God, I figured that the "sun" was named after him. The weird part was, I already knew that the two words were spelled differently, but I was still proud of my epic conclusion regardless.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,764 posts
Chamberlain

I used to think that George Bush (junior, I don't think I even knew that his father was president) was related to George Washington because they were both named George.

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

I used to think people wearing glasses were related.

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

Sometimes all you need is a good FUS RO DAH to blow all your problems away...
Someone posted this in a comment on youtube, and I kinda agree with him.

Basically, doesn't it sound likes he's yelling LOSE YOUR JOB?

(easier to tell on the video where the comment was found, 15 minutes of fus ro dahing the same dragon.

~~~Darth Caedus
Hikakin_Fan
Hikakin_Fan
396 posts
Lord

i used to think that there were monsters in my closet.

Showing 46-60 of 89