ForumsThe TavernGeneral SciMaTech Thread

35 6640
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Because the previous editions of the math and science threads have been dead too long for any hope of resuscitation, I'm giving birth to a new generation for the math, science and technology lovers of this generation. Feel free to discuss anything regarding the unbelievably general topics of math, science and technology here.

SciMaTech is a shorthand version of writing science, math and technology if that wasn't obvious.

• 35 Replies
soccerdude2
soccerdude2
1,673 posts
Shepherd

Heh rayoflight3 I took the AMC 10 a few months ago for my school... the problems got really hard near the end... and in the middle. But the first few were really easy haha.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Okay. There were some cute chemistry puns and dodo humor. But by far, the funniest joke on this entire thread is "logarithms aren't useful for anything."

Still in stitches.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

It's about time something caught the logs joke. I forgot about it until now. I was beginning to think people believed it haha.

And yeah. I'll get to the next study later.

rayoflight3
rayoflight3
437 posts
Nomad

Care to post any of your favorite riddles from those sites? I perused a bit, and they seem rather challenging to say the least.

It's been a while since I've actually tried solving them, but off the top of my head...

In the medium section of the Miller site, the "FRUITful Problem" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" are simple but clever classics. I think most people would be able to solve them with some serious thought. A more difficult one, one that I actually discussed in quite a bit of detail with Professor Miller (I was considering Williams at the time), is the "A Penny for Your Thoughts" riddle. That one basically required a rigorous proof and can't be immediately solved with a basic realization. However, it's still solvable with basic math skills. Those should get you started.

For the AoPS site, most of the problems between numbers 13 to 20 in the AMC 12 series are decently challenging. Below that, they're usually trivial, and above that, they're hard as ****. For AIME, up to problems 4 or 5 are usually of decent difficulty. Both series require some algebra 2 and geometry knowledge within the ranges I mentioned. Beyond that, there's still no calculus, but a strong knowledge of number theory and discrete mathematics is almost necessary to solve those problems.

For the Wu site, anything within easy and medium is recommended for start with. You'll also find few that aren't strictly mathematically based. I don't recommend you wasting your time with the Putnam level questions though, unless you're brilliant at math--the median score for the Putnam examination is almost always 0. The Microsoft questions (actual questions asked in interviews for Microsoft) are pretty fun and really put your creativity to the test, haha. Oh, and if you have time, look at the "Pop Quiz" question in the relatively hard section. IIRC, that question was a serious mind-****er, and it seems like there's no real consensus on the answer.

Oh, here's a better (And real life!!!!) example study:
Prayer reduces complications in admitted cardiac patients

Wow, interesting study. I didn't actually read through the paper though--don't have the attention span or patience for it right now. Is it alright to assume that you've given sufficient information about the methods and results in your summary to determine the study's flaws?

Again, I haven't really read through the study, but I'm guessing there was some sort of confirmation bias going on. I realize the study was a double-blind one, but if the researchers compiled their data in such a way that they subconsciously (or maybe even consciously) manipulated it to fit their preconceptions, then that would be a confirmation bias. This is supported by the fact that the index was specifically created for this study.

However, based on your synopsis, I'm not surprised the study was accepted. It actually seems somewhat rigorous--certainly enough to provoke legitimate arguments from both sides in spite of the ostensible absurdity of the matter.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

It's about time something caught the logs joke.
lol. Sure, whatever you say dude.
Showing 31-35 of 35