Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Nerf talk: Accidental shipping

Posted Apr 9, '13 at 11:59pm

roydotor2000

roydotor2000

275 posts

They'll confiscate it and give me a fine!

Posted Apr 10, '13 at 12:30am

xeano321

xeano321

3,127 posts

Knight

Then return it! There's nothing else we can tell you. Even the pros cannot trick airport security. I highly doubt if a bunch of teenagers on AG can come up with a way for you.

Send it back, mail it to your home, or try and smuggle it on the plane. You only have three options. Pick one and hope for success.

Posted Apr 10, '13 at 2:15am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,210 posts

Don't put it in your carry-on luggage. People can take guns (like, real rifles) on flights. However, they have to be in a locked case, with ammunition in a separate locked case, and they have to go in the storage section below the plane. Yours is a Nerf gun, and it is not lethal or illegal. Customs is not going to check your Nerf gun to see if it has been illegally modified, because it's a Nerf gun. You can have it put in storage.

You can always just check airplane requirements per standard, or even contact an airport and ask how you can transport it.

As for xeano's suggestions, it's probably too late to send it back, it will be expensive to mail to yourself and you are not going to get away with taking it with you in carry-on. How do people go on hunting trips to Alaska? They don't leave their gun at home, they can't drive there, and they can't carry it onto the plane. If people can transport a rifle on a plane, you can transport a Nerf gun.

Posted Apr 10, '13 at 2:22am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,210 posts

It's bothering me. If I try to go home after my vacation in "Luzon" via air transport, I might be ask where did I bought that gun and if I say PH, it would be a big controversy.

You are wayyyy over thinking this. Airport security does not keep tabs on your vacation. They're not going to ask where you got your t-shirt (just using it as an example), so why would they ask about a Nerf gun? They have no reason at all to ask where you bought it because it's a toy that you can buy in a Wal-Mart. Unless there are zero toy stores in the place you're vacationing at, airport security is not going to care, as long as it is being transported safely.

If you had an AR-15 or a 12-gauge shotgun, they might ask a question, but there is no age restriction or public carry rule that can be enforced or punished by law when it comes to plastic orange-tipped foam dart launchers. You can't take them in carry-on, but you can take them in cargo.

Posted Apr 10, '13 at 2:25am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,210 posts

Official TSA guidelines for firearms on planes. It doesn't mention nerf guns, but it mentioned live-ammo guns and airsoft guns. All are approved.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

Posted Apr 10, '13 at 4:40am

roydotor2000

roydotor2000

275 posts

Well, MattEmAngel. Here are my reasons:
1. It's not an international standard model
2.the stock range is 75 feet
Finally, it's shouldn't be here in PH

Posted Apr 10, '13 at 10:45am

MattEmAngel

MattEmAngel

7,210 posts

Well,
1. Airport security isn't going to know, or care, if it's an international standard. They can't arrest you for it or even question you.
2. That doesn't change anything. The only way they would know is if they took it out of our luggage, loaded it and shot it in the airport. Not gonna happen.
3. But you said:

I bought it in Toys R Us

You went to a Toys R Us and bought a Nerf gun, and now you want to take it on an airplane. That's seriously all that matters. Airport security does not have a database on Nerf standards or a procedure for identifying Nerf specs, and they can't charge you with "illegal possession." If you're actually this paranoid, just leave the box behind.

What are they going to do?? They don't scan items for bar codes, and they can't take your Nerf gun apart to check the air restrictor. I doubt the gun has "NOT INTERNATIONAL STANDARD, 75 STOCK RANGE" stamped on the side in orange, and even if it did. they don't have a procedure for arresting you because of it. They have no way of knowing if it's not an international version, or what the range is, and they don't care. All that matters is that you are transporting it safely under TSA standards. It has to be in your luggage.

Posted Apr 10, '13 at 11:44am

xeano321

xeano321

3,127 posts

Knight

All that matters is that you are transporting it safely under TSA standards

You do realize he is in the Philippines, right? I don't think the TSA will be over there.

They have no way of knowing if it's not an international version, or what the range is, and they don't care.

It's Illegal in the Philippines. That's where the problem comes in. Who knows how strict they are about Nerf guns over there, they might confiscate it and give him a hefty fine, or they might not even care, but why risk it? I would just mail it to myself. At least the chance of success is higher.

Reply to Nerf talk: Accidental shipping

You must be logged in to post a reply!