ForumsWEPRNorth Carolina bill allows "establishment of religion" by state government

15 9914
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/04/03/north-carolina-bill-allows-establishment-of-religion-by-state-government/
http://www.examiner.com/article/nc-republicans-propose-bill-to-end-1st-amendment-to-the-constitution

The Bill

Section 1. The North Carolina General Assembly asserts that the Constitution of the United States of America does not prohibit states or their subsidiaries from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

Section 2. The North Carolina General Assembly does not recognize federal court rulings which prohibit and otherwise regulate the State of North Carolina, its public schools, or any political subdivisions of the State from making laws respecting an establishment of religion.

When the Republican party says they are for small government with more state power, I have gotten the impression this is what they mean.

I also have to wonder how these same people would react if a similar bill was proposed but eliminating the 2nd Amendment.

Your thoughts?
  • 15 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Aren't there contingencies for this sort of thing? Doesn't the executive branch have the right/duty to enforce federally interpreted laws, like how they're arresting people for federally banned drugs that are legal on the state level? Technically, they could put the state under martial law. Anyway, I'm surprised they didn't take it a step further and throw out the rest of the amendment. No free speech, press, or assembly either.

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,508 posts
Jester

Federal law trumps state law, so I don't know what the hell they are doing.

Moe
Moe
1,715 posts
Blacksmith

so I don't know what the hell they are doing.

At a guess I would say you have a better idea than they do.

Also if they get anywhere near passing this, I think the president should channel Andrew Jackson: "the power to annul a law of the United States, assumed by one State, incompatible with the existence of the Union, contradicted expressly by the letter of the Constitution, unauthorized by its spirit, inconsistent with every principle on which it was founded, and destructive of the great object for which it was formed".
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Ever hear Ohio's state motto? "With God All Things Are Possible." Not to mention the fact that there's the age-old saying "In God We Trust" on the dollar bill. Then, what's even more, we say "Under God" in the pledge of allegiance. This was bound to come up somewhere eventually, though

Federal law trumps state law, so I don't know what the hell they are doing.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

In Zorach v. Clauson (1952), the Supreme Court also held that the nation's "institutions presuppose a Supreme Being"
[link]

infinight888
infinight888
37 posts
Peasant

There's no way a bill essentially saying "the First Amendment doesn't apply to us" could actually pass.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

In Zorach v. Clauson (1952), the Supreme Court also held that the nation's "institutions presuppose a Supreme Being"

Sure, but my point is that it's becoming more and more socially acceptable to associate God with the government. This is another example.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

it's becoming more and more socially acceptable to associate God with the government.

it is? =o
i thought the americans finally went the other way. guess i was wrong. =/
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

If you are in favor of the belief in a deity do keep in mind that the one the government supports might not be the one you subscribe to. This is why it's important that the government NOT support any one religion. Freedom of religion as well as from it. You will be free to personally believe what you like while being free from the personal beliefs of others being imposed on you.

This is why it's important that everyone fight against such moves.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

it is? =o

Is this sarcastic? I can't really tell. Whether or not it is, I suppose it's just that some Christians are going insane with their beliefs. I'm about as Christian as it gets, and I think this is complete and utter bull****. It's a given that some people on both sides are willing to go crazy.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Is this sarcastic?

no
bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

Yikes. I wonder why they care so much about establishing a state religion, when they can already practice their beliefs freely. It's insane.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yikes. I wonder why they care so much about establishing a state religion, when they can already practice their beliefs freely. It's insane.

Pretty simple, there are people who want to push their particular religion on everyone.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Apparently, the threat's over. The legislature refused to vote on it.

Getoffmydangle
Getoffmydangle
152 posts
Blacksmith

North Carolina bill allows "establishment of religion" by state government

Apparently, the threat's over. The legislature refused to vote on it.

To sum it up: Small-minded efforts by small-minded people, going nowhere.

it's becoming more and more socially acceptable to associate God with the government.

it is? =o

You're both right.... American political opinions are incredibly polarized. To illustrate: while the % of americans who are strongly religious is increasing, the % who claim no religion is at an all-time high (16%-31%). So you have two polar opposites, both on the rise, with the middle-ground shrinking. The conservative/religious politicians like Rick Santorum, who have all kinds of extreme backasswards views like contraception should be illegal, are still able to gain traction with extreme and undecucated views because a large portion of the republican base is of the crazy-nutjob variety.
Showing 1-15 of 15