ForumsPopular MediaNOVA on PBS

6 4996
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Has anyone ever watched that show?
I've been watching it for years. I remember seeing it for the first time on TV Ontario many years ago. I then continued watching it on PBS.
I've seen many great episodes but this recent one titled Ancient Computer is by far my favorite.

A rusted piece of bronze was found under water in 1900 by some sponge divers near Antikythera. It was found in a 2,000 year-old Greek shipwreck.
After scientists from different countries and branches of science (astronomers, historians, archeologists, engineers,etc) managed to x-ray the thing and reproduced it, discovered it was an astronomical device.

It was created by Archimedes to predict the movements of the moon in order to predict future eclipses and study the planetary system known at the time by the Greeks.
They think that the object was taken after the Romans took Syracuse and some idiotic soldier killed Archimedes. It was then transported to Rome by a ship carrying goods and returning from Rhodes that sunk during a storm.
It could have been the device that inspired the Arabs who created the Astrolabe.
After the fall of the Roman Empire, the knowledge was lost and probably known to Byzantines who after being conquered by the Turks in 1453 (Constantinople), acquired the knowledge.

Has anyone seen the episode?

• 6 Replies
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

NOVA, my dear sir, is my life. I watch this show as frequently as possible. My favorite so far is the The Viking Sword - Ulfberht. For sword craftsmanship, this is a great blade.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

NOVA, my dear sir, is my life. I watch this show as frequently as possible. My favorite so far is the The Viking Sword - Ulfberht. For sword craftsmanship, this is a great blade.

That's great! Now I know I'm not the only one watching it. xD
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

I was also interested in the "Building the Pharaoh's Chariot" episode, for a person interested in engineering the Chariot is the perfect thing to look at and get your none-boring fair share amount of history.

That's great! Now I know I'm not the only one watching it. xD

I think this is AG's way of saying we are nerds...
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

Nova is still around? Nova was my jam when I was younger.

Nova is basically the dopest **** on earth and I highly recommend it especially for little kids. Not because it's not interesting if you're older, but it's accessible, and it gets them interested in science and learning.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Nova is basically the dopest **** on earth and I highly recommend it especially for little kids. Not because it's not interesting if you're older, but it's accessible, and it gets them interested in science and learning.

You can find quite a few episodes on Youtube so it's even easier.
Showing 1-6 of 6