ForumsThe TavernNewgrounds vs ArmorGames

40 12452
codewub
codewub
8 posts
Nomad

Which one do you like better, explain

Comment about the pro's and con's of each site and why you think certain site is better than the other, Include things that armor games doesn't have and what newgrounds doesnt have, and also tell us what they have that you like.
  • 40 Replies
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Uh, I think they don't have the budget.

You don't need money to add a feature like an edit button, you just have to make the code. Since this forum was created by someone that is no longer with AG it may be difficult to do.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

You don't need money to add a feature like an edit button, you just have to make the code.

But who makes the code? A paid employee.

Since this forum was created by someone that is no longer with AG it may be difficult to do.

Exactly, so if it takes a few weeks to do it, then that'll be a few weeks of budget gone.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

But who makes the code? A paid employee.

You missed the point. They are not on a budget and money isn't directly required to make a feature such as an edit button, they're employees with a salary. They're paid to work, so if they work on something for a few weeks there's no budget gone, they're getting money for doing it. As employees they're getting paid regardless.
roydotor2000
roydotor2000
340 posts
Nomad

What I mean they don't have the budget is they are busy doing the other project.

gabef
gabef
8 posts
Nomad

I use to be on newgrounds, but I came to armor games and I think this is better. because it is not as perverted as newgrounds is.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

Since this forum was created by someone that is no longer with AG it may be difficult to do.

they can code flash but a little html coding is to much?

LOL
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

Remember that one time when the forum was offline for over 24 hours? Yeah, one slight mistake and they could mess the whole thing up, which is why creating their own or buying a new forum engine would be better.

Also, I imagine that making new code would be significantly easier than messing with old broken code.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

You can't use HTML to make an edit button. I think you'd use PHP for that, which is a bit more complicated. :P

By the way, HTML, PHP and Flash are very different. It takes different skills to use them well, albeit minimal skill for HTML.

You missed the point. They are not on a budget and money isn't directly required to make a feature such as an edit button, they're employees with a salary. They're paid to work, so if they work on something for a few weeks there's no budget gone, they're getting money for doing it. As employees they're getting paid regardless.

But salaries are given within a cyclical time period. They'd be spending time on the edit button as opposed together stuff, therefore taking time away from game stuff. It might not be a money budget, but a time budget instead.

Also, I imagine that making new code would be significantly easier than messing with old broken code.

You'd think so, but it does take quite a while to make any forum engine, small or big. I think they believe the current engine is good enough right now.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

opposed together stuff

*opposed to other stuff
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,620 posts
Herald

They'd be spending time on the edit button as opposed together stuff, therefore taking time away from game stuff.

What game stuff? Not all of them are game developers. They will always have time to work on things, so there isn't a time budget either. They should focus on the highly requested / important ideas first though, which updating the forum fits in, among many others that may or may not be more important than that.

This is also off topic. It has nothing to do with NewGrounds vs ArmorGames.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

This is also off topic. It has nothing to do with NewGrounds vs ArmorGames.

Yeah we could go on with this all day. I'll just drop it now.

Anyway, I like Armor Games more.
Alexandra222
Alexandra222
2,779 posts
Nomad

Newgrounds and armorgames are completly different sites.

For example, Newgrounds shows artwork and flash animations made by fans and a bunch of fan-made games as well. You don't see a lot of those in AG. There are also different age ratings from everyone to adult. So if you're into that variety then people will chose newgrounds.

For me, It depends. I like all of the games on AG better but Newgrounds has a larger variety of stuff like fan-art or animations. I also like AG better because there isn't any inapropriate games and the games seem professionally made and not by amatures. But that one was a personal bias.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

You can't use HTML to make an edit button. I think you'd use PHP for that, which is a bit more complicated. :P

By the way, HTML, PHP and Flash are very different. It takes different skills to use them well, albeit minimal skill for HTML.

point is i'm prety sure someone over there is able to do it.
remember when those spam bots came up a few months ago?
the forum became useless for normal use but they got them away somehow. (i knew how but forgot)

But salaries are given within a cyclical time period. They'd be spending time on the edit button as opposed together stuff, therefore taking time away from game stuff. It might not be a money budget, but a time budget instead.

i dont think it is a money issue at all.
and if it is, isn't investing in your community a good thing?

it does take quite a while to make any forum engine, small or big.
why make a new one when there are hundreds out there to freely pick from?

I think they believe the current engine is good enough right now.

if they didn't they would have updated by now. xD
and it is good. except for that 1 button. xD

Yeah we could go on with this all day. I'll just drop it now.

awwww, i just wrote all this... =(

i just press the submit so i didn't waste time for nothing. and drop it now.
Minotaur55
Minotaur55
1,373 posts
Blacksmith

Uh, newgrounds is more on adult entertainment. While AG is for all ages

I found that out the hard way...

Anyhow, while Newgrounds has a nice feel about the website I choose Armor Games. Mainly because AG has a very inviting feel to it that Newgrounds doesn't really have, making AG great for people from ages 13 to 30.
Jblaze101
Jblaze101
513 posts
Peasant

Well the flash movies on NG are dope they have a complete benefactor from that that ag doesn't but Ag games are better organized here so pro and con

Showing 16-30 of 40