Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

Most important language/ universal language

Posted Apr 11, '13 at 9:38pm

pickpocket

pickpocket

6,000 posts

The most important language is `Murican.

How about Latin?

I take Latin! I took enough Spanish in my earlier years, so those 2 together basically are Italian, with minor exceptions. I can understand all three, but have trouble speaking in any. Except Italian. I can wave my hands around like crazy and they understand me.

Id say Chinese is going up in importance too, because of its sheer size.

Posted Apr 13, '13 at 12:21pm

AceofSky

AceofSky

779 posts

The most important language is `Murican.

What about British? I can speak 'Murican fluently, but British is a challenge.

I think language importance should be judged by the population that can speak/write it.

Pirate English is definitely up there.

Posted Apr 13, '13 at 8:35pm

ellock

ellock

393 posts

I do agree that a single, universal language would be a lot easier to use to communicate with others. I just see it as more of an unattainable dream or goal. With so many people that would have to learn another language, they would just ignore it and continue speaking their mother language.
Chinese seems to be important but no other country besides China. So, it would need to gain a lot of importance before it could be considered a 'world language'. If China keeps going on as far as wealth and trade it could probably reach that status.

Posted Apr 13, '13 at 9:56pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,520 posts

Knight

How about Latin?

No! It's a dead language. Even in academic usage, we only use a few words.

Chinese most likely use Pinyin on the web (but not always) and Japanese Romaji (but not always).

No, only non-native speakers use Pinyin. Use Pinyin in Chinese internet territory and you'll stick out like a sore thumb.

So considering the above, English is a dominant language across the world and in computing. Also consider the fact that traditional Chinese and Japanese have far too many characters to have practical computer keyboards (although I have come across plenty of sites in Chinese and Japanese I don't know how this is accomplished though).

We type in Pinyin, and the words magically appear. It's actually very fast.

Chinese seems to be important but no other country besides China. So, it would need to gain a lot of importance before it could be considered a 'world language'. If China keeps going on as far as wealth and trade it could probably reach that status.

Taiwan. Hong Kong. Singapore. Malaysia.

As for people who want just a sole universal language....no! Appreciate the beauty of language, the subtle nuances and intricacies that differ greatly if you close enough attention. Different language speakers think in vastly differing ways, I find myself viewing the world and the conversation at hand in another light when I switch languages. Ever tried translating say Shakespeare into another language? Does it come out awkwardly? Yes!

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 4:56am

Reton8

Reton8

2,919 posts

We type in Pinyin, and the words magically appear. It's actually very fast.

Wait, is that how it works though? The programs on computers take the input of pinyin and then replace those characters with the actual characters?

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 5:00am

Reton8

Reton8

2,919 posts

Nevermind, I found this article.

But is the article accurate?

Posted Apr 14, '13 at 9:30am

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,520 posts

Knight

Yes, the article is mostly correct. We type in the Romanticized pronunciation, and the words pop out. It is true that the words have roughly the same pronunciation, given that our words are monosyllabic, but if you type a couple out at a time, it gets it right. For example, if I type Pao, the words for run, bun, cannon, etc all come out, but if I type out Pao Bu, the two characters meaning run appear. The process gets pretty fast after a while anyway.

Posted Apr 17, '13 at 5:05pm

Minotaur55

Minotaur55

1,342 posts

Knight

German. They gave you NASA (sort of), they gave you Hamburgers. Respect the German language people!

Posted Apr 18, '13 at 3:48am

mikacinikac

mikacinikac

421 posts

The most important language is English....

English is the largest language on the World Wide Web

Posted Apr 19, '13 at 1:57pm

ellock

ellock

393 posts

Yes, Nichodemus is right. I am learning Mandarin and since my school is online I have a standard English mode to my keyboard and I have a mandarin one where you type in pinyin and hit the number that the symbol is and bam! you have Chinese characters. 你好see. I am pretty sure that is hello. (I am bad at the symbols, but there it is)

Minotaur, German is a useful language however, it is not used really outside of Europe. I have met one person who grew up speaking German and learned English. So, most people that grew up speaking German, are happy in Germany (I would think, I have only met the one guy). Where as English is spoken around the world. If you are saying we should strive for a single language, then I would say go with English or Espranto.

Reply to Most important language/ universal language

You must be logged in to post a reply!