ForumsWEPRFamily structures

16 11108
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

We know many types of possible family structures; nuclear families, extended families, single parents, hetero couples, homo couples, families involving more than two generations...

I wonder, what do you think? How would you ideally design a family? Is there even such a thing as the ideal family, or is anything good as long as it works out in each specific case? Advantages, disadvantages, if any at all?

• 16 Replies
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

This was interesting. Reminds me of Brave New World: "everyone belongs to everyone else".

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

As long as everyone is happy in the family, I see no problem. Homosexual, hetero, single parent, two parents, it doesn't matter.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

This was interesting. Reminds me of Brave New World: "everyone belongs to everyone else".

It's not so stupid, as long as you don't say "everyone belongs to everyone else", but stick to what she mentioned, "it's everyone's responsibility". Doesn't mean parents have no special responsibilities though..

Part of why I started this thread was because in France, they recently passed through marriage for everyone, but there have been ongoing (probably out-of-hand) protests in favour of traditional families (father, mother, children), arguing they were demonstrating "for everyone's liberties". WTF?
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

they recently passed through marriage for everyone

hmmm. do you maybe have a link? i have no idea how to picture this. =S
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,254 posts
Regent

My bad, it is not yet 100% definitive, but almost. Anyway, link here.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

aha, it's about gay marriage..... i'm for that.
gay rights are the same as human rights for me.

"marriage for everyone" sounds a bit like. family can married whit eatch other or that someone can married whit their pets or children. or something weird like that. i'm against that.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

as forger said. as long as everybody is happy its a great family in my opinion. i think that a child would rather have a single mom/dad or gay/lesbian parents then a family that makes him stressed every day (and i say that from experience). people who are against this usually just dont like seeing different families and actually dont think about whats best for the children even if they claim to do so.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

i think that a child would rather have a single mom/dad or gay/lesbian parents then a family that makes him stressed every day

(i leave out the gay/lesbian parents part now)

maybe the child would rather keep the single parent. while the parent feels the need for someone.
then what would be the best option?
they both have different needs and feel good whit a different composition of the family.
VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

I was actually thinking of exactly this, but only because I just finished reading the book, and now having to do an essay on it in school.

P.S. Brave New World is an awful book, and I don't suggest it for anyone.

or is anything good as long as it works out in each specific case?

This.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

maybe the child would rather keep the single parent. while the parent feels the need for someone.
then what would be the best option?
they both have different needs and feel good whit a different composition of the family.

good point. but the single parent can always find someone new. now this will all cause (might) the drama of getting used to the new parent and all that stuff but its not something that cant be figured out.

my point still stands though, a mother/father would also rather to be a single parent in a happy family then being part of a stressful sad one. at least thats what i think
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

now this will all cause (might) the drama of getting used to the new parent and all that stuff but its not something that cant be figured out.

from personal experience i can say that "getting used to the new parent" is more easy said then done. for some people the new parent will never be their new parent. (a bad but well known example would be cinderella. xD )

a mother/father would also rather to be a single parent in a happy family then being part of a stressful sad one. at least thats what i think

but would it be a happy family for them when they have the need for a man/woman? i can imagion that this hole would stress them out allot. and playing the game of being happy towards your family is also very stressful when you actually are not that happy because your missing something.

also a bit like a divorce they parents split up because they are not happy anymore. while the child loves both parents the same and want them to stay together.

anyway my point is that there are different needs of what a person want from it's family. and that can contradict whit the needs of other family members. making it near impossible that the entire family stays happy whit the situation the family is in. ofcours does everyone rather have a happy family then a stressful sad one. but achieving this for all family members can be very hard to impossible.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

P.S. Brave New World is an awful book, and I don't suggest it for anyone.
Well. I wouldn't call it awful. The writing is really bad though.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

but would it be a happy family for them when they have the need for a man/woman? i can imagion that this hole would stress them out allot. and playing the game of being happy towards your family is also very stressful when you actually are not that happy because your missing something.

fake hapiness isnt hapiness. and the loss of a partner is something time heals, not to mention you can look for a new partner. the point still remains though.

also a bit like a divorce they parents split up because they are not happy anymore. while the child loves both parents the same and want them to stay together.

eventually even the child would rather the parents to divorce then live in a stressful house where the parents fight all the time and this comes from experience. when it gets rough and extreme the child understands that things cant go back to how they were.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

not to mention you can look for a new partner.

this can make the child unhappy. i.e. the contradicting part.

eventually even the child would rather the parents to divorce then live in a stressful house where the parents fight all the time and this comes from experience.

when i child is to young he isn't able to understand this.
(a divorce is not always the cause of "it getting rough and/or extreme&quot
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

this can make the child unhappy. i.e. the contradicting part.

these are all things that can be worked on. things are never perfect but they dont have to be in a situation when parents fight each other.

when i child is to young he isn't able to understand this.
(a divorce is not always the cause of "it getting rough and/or extreme&quot

he is when the parents explain it to him. its not that complicated for a child to understand that its better for his parents to get a divorce because they just cant deal with each other anymore.

when parents get to the point when they cant and dont even want to be together anymore its better for everybody that they will get a divorce.

and btw. the child doesnt have to get used to the new person as a parent. they can easily see them as their moms partner/bf (vice versa). thats what happened in my family for me and my younger brother.
Showing 1-15 of 16